VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Boores

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Boores »

SOLUTION TO DIVISION BY 0 BUG

http://estrategasdesillon.blogspot.com.es/

Cheers,
Alfonso (estrategasdesillon staff)
Pans

RE: VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Pans »

this is very interesting. I do have a problem with ingame bugs (like two enemy Corps in the same hex without any combat) which results into a graphic problem of my PC (white parts of the screen). I checked your block but my installations in the regedit are correct. I use Vista Home Premium with an AMD Phenom CPU.
If I use my older Laptop with Windows XP I do not have this issues.

Thanks for any help.
Boores

Post by Boores »

ORIGINAL: Pans

this is very interesting. I do have a problem with ingame bugs (like two enemy Corps in the same hex without any combat) which results into a graphic problem of my PC (white parts of the screen). I checked your block but my installations in the regedit are correct. I use Vista Home Premium with an AMD Phenom CPU.
If I use my older Laptop with Windows XP I do not have this issues.

Thanks for any help.

The bug is with WIndows 7 OS, not with Vista. Thanks to you by spend time reading my blog
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Can you get a screen print?
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Pans

Post by Pans »

well this threat is from September last year -- I am not sure if I will find anything related to this, but I will have a look.
As I am in five games - oh, no only four now as we just finished Leewardho after five years of gaming, we a couple of bugs popping up in every game.
This are not very major issues (at least not for me) but slowing down the game pace by the need of sending out backups more frequently.

- the Creating the Confedration of the Rhine is worth 2 PPs, the game only rewards 1 PP for it
- Freestate creation of Sweden and Poland brings up issues with economic income of those (no income and menpower at all). This is always true for Poland, for Sweden it shows up randomly.
- Freestates are not at war with the same enemy the controling major power is. We just experienced that France is at war with Austria. Bavaria is Austrian freestate but not at war with France. In due to that France was not allowed to move into Bavaria and we have to handle all french movement and battles on paper and need to adjust with the admin menue.

that´s only what run through my mind right now.
Andreas
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Pans, I've added these issues to Mantis so Marshall can track them.
The money and manpower issue is already #835 so I added another note.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
PISA.inWar

Post by PISA.inWar »

ORIGINAL: Pans

well this threat is from September last year -- I am not sure if I will find anything related to this, but I will have a look.
As I am in five games - oh, no only four now as we just finished Leewardho after five years of gaming, we a couple of bugs popping up in every game.
This are not very major issues (at least not for me) but slowing down the game pace by the need of sending out backups more frequently.

- the Creating the Confedration of the Rhine is worth 2 PPs, the game only rewards 1 PP for it
- Freestate creation of Sweden and Poland brings up issues with economic income of those (no income and menpower at all). This is always true for Poland, for Sweden it shows up randomly.
- Freestates are not at war with the same enemy the controling major power is. We just experienced that France is at war with Austria. Bavaria is Austrian freestate but not at war with France. In due to that France was not allowed to move into Bavaria and we have to handle all french movement and battles on paper and need to adjust with the admin menue.

that´s only what run through my mind right now.
Andreas

Hi to all. Can you tell me if the problems detected by Pans have been solved by matrix?
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Sadly, no.  To add insult to injury, the Mantis bug tracking site isn't working right.  Not sure if Del has stopped maintaining it or what; I have not heard back from him.  Marshall was getting back into some EiA development work last summer but hasn't done anything more lately.  I don't know what more to say except stay tuned, hopefully we will see another update one of these days.
Bill Macon
PISA.inWar

Post by PISA.inWar »

Dear pzgndr,
I'm sorry to know that you do not update the matrix Bug after years that have been discovered, indeed, often Matrix seems to consider that the existence of the BUG as normal (for a game now on the market for years) and that is part of the very nature of the game. But it is not so! The bugs are not part of the game with which the rights were acquired by Avalon Hill!
The Game Empire in Arms still has all the potential to come back and stay for a long time to be the best game of military strategy if you cared to date, no BUG and ... improved in terms of graphics (just a little to add or improve some aesthetically screen) that, at the moment, it seems to me both lagged far behind.
I wish the players were felt here on the forum, both as players and as fans, both as users and as a customer of a product purchased (with flaws).
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

PISA, welcome to the Empires in Arguments forum!  LOL  Just a few comments here to bring you up to speed.  I personally do not update anything except the game manual; Marshall Ellis is the game designer and maintains proprietary rights to his game code.  Matrix is a publisher and does not control the code, so cannot be held wholly responsible for fixing bugs or updating the game.  IMHO there are things they could be doing to encourage developers to stay with a product or introduce third parties to pick up development, but that's another issue.  As for Avalon Hill rights, I don't think so; ADG maintains the rights to their games and the computer versions published by Matrix- EiA and WiF.  ADG could maybe work out something with Marshall and Matrix to continue game development with this product or create something new from scratch (which would be YEARS in the making), but again that's another issue.

I do agree that this game, with some additional development work, can become great.  Fix several lingering bugs (more like deviations from the boardgame), improve the game editor and introduce classic EiA map and scenarios, improve the AI, introduce TCP/IP or NetPlay capability for online play, etc., and this would be great.  Marshall has in fact fixed a few more bugs, ported the game code to a new compiler and introduced wide-screen graphics capability.  But, he also has real-world life to deal with and we need to be patient.  At this point, about all we can do is wait and hope for another update one of these days.  Patience is a virtue...
Bill Macon
PISA.inWar

Post by PISA.inWar »

Dear pzgndr ,
I agree with what you wrote, but when a publisher invests his own money in the publication of a game, usually the developer must submit to a contract that binds him to upgrade to better the product, especially if the latter is not out of production, but continues to be sold.
Therefore, I believe there is a responsibility of all to a certain laziness to improve a product with little investment of time and money, it may have potential for further sales success as you have already mentioned in your last contribution .
I also do not understand why they continue to sell the game to be in the box, that is downloadable online, in version 1.00, forcing buyers to go to discharge the links updated.
At least for the on-line version, it would not be easy to replace the file with a 1:00 file including all updates? For a developer computer I think it would work for a few moments and it has not yet been made there is some lack of organization is difficult to explain.
I ask forgiveness for all the ardor with which I write these things in my forum, but I love the game and I fell in love with it many years ago, I'd like to see it used at its best, because even if played well also becomes very instructive.
Patience is a virtue but it is not endless ...

Post Scriptum
: I work in the field of historical and editorial for years playing on an international platform to play multiplayer online medieval military ...
Athelas2211

Post by Athelas2211 »

anything happening with this game? I ve had my eyes on board and this one for ages now, nothing happening?
playing RTS, strategy and RPG games from ...ever?
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: athelas.loraiel
I ve had my eyes on board and this one for ages now

So get it and have some fun with it.
Bill Macon
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

PISA, welcome to the Empires in Arguments forum!  LOL  Just a few comments here to bring you up to speed.  I personally do not update anything except the game manual; Marshall Ellis is the game designer and maintains proprietary rights to his game code.  Matrix is a publisher and does not control the code, so cannot be held wholly responsible for fixing bugs or updating the game.  IMHO there are things they could be doing to encourage developers to stay with a product or introduce third parties to pick up development, but that's another issue.  As for Avalon Hill rights, I don't think so; ADG maintains the rights to their games and the computer versions published by Matrix- EiA and WiF.  ADG could maybe work out something with Marshall and Matrix to continue game development with this product or create something new from scratch (which would be YEARS in the making), but again that's another issue.

I do agree that this game, with some additional development work, can become great.  Fix several lingering bugs (more like deviations from the boardgame), improve the game editor and introduce classic EiA map and scenarios, improve the AI, introduce TCP/IP or NetPlay capability for online play, etc., and this would be great.  Marshall has in fact fixed a few more bugs, ported the game code to a new compiler and introduced wide-screen graphics capability.  But, he also has real-world life to deal with and we need to be patient.  At this point, about all we can do is wait and hope for another update one of these days.  Patience is a virtue...

Someone needs to convince them to open source this thing OR at the very least, give rights of the code to a few developers in an 'open source' sort of format... this could keep their 'rights' to the game and their ability to continue to make money off it.

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”