Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

LST 325

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> LST 325 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LST 325 - 9/18/2012 10:08:00 PM   
nashvillen

Not a LST used in the pacific theatre, but a LST nonetheless! She is in Nashville this week and my wife and I are going to tour her this weekend after the Titan's game.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012309160056&nclick_check=1

We will take plenty of pictures to post here!

Post #: 1
RE: LST 325 - 9/18/2012 11:02:48 PM   
Schanilec

Cool!

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 2
RE: LST 325 - 9/18/2012 11:53:56 PM   
Justus2

It is a very neat ship (and my avatar)! It visited Peoria last year, well worth the trip. I have a soft spot in my heart for the LSTs, my grandfather was too old to join the Army in WWII, but went to work building LSTs in Seneca, IL (Shipyard on the Prairie) and then they would float them down the river to New Orleans.

Currently Playing:
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition (learning, not really playing ;) )
LST 325 Fanboy!

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 3
RE: LST 325 - 9/19/2012 12:32:33 AM   
Skyros

Darn I was just in Nashville last weekend. I always miss the good stuff. They used to use LSTs as the fery from New London Ct to Orient Point NY. Boy did they bounce around even light weather.

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 4
RE: LST 325 - 9/22/2012 8:50:28 PM   
cdnice

I saw a documentary on either the Military channel or Discovery, hero Ships on the volunteers working on this ship, was very good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1238186/

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 5
RE: LST 325 - 9/24/2012 2:12:44 AM   
nashvillen

Photos as promised (all taken with my phone camera as I forgot my regular camera, some good, some not so good, my phone does not like CF bulbs...):

These above five were taken from the pedestrian bridge on the way to the Lions/Titans game. A little grainy from zooming in. The last one looks better, but more city than LST

These five are approaching the ship after the game. Note the long line! Number 3 and 4 are waiting in line. The last is a "famous" General that served in the ETO... Lots of kids got their picture taken.

These three are of the Tank Deck. I shook every crewman's hand and told them how I really appreciated the opportunity to be on such a historic vessel. One fellow asked me how much I knew about these ships. I told him I had read some books and done other research about quite a few vessels of WWII. He asked me when D-Day was. I asked him which invasion. Sicily, Normandy, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, etc. He smiled an understanding smile. If he only knew the group I hung out with!

Maintenance rooms. Nice assortment of tools and machines to work on almost anything to keep the ship going!

Secondary engine room. Sealed with thick plexiglas, no way to get down there to take better pictures.

Winch in the aft end of the Tank Deck.

Crew making dinner! There are forty-five members of the crew while she was in Nashville. They eat and sleep on the ship while they are there.

Aft AAA weapons. The last one was restored as an Eagle project!

Me on the Main Deck looking towards the bow. The aft galley/officers country/bridge superstructure is behind me.

These five are some my wife took, her camera worked better in the Tank Deck. All but the first were from the Tank Deck and are medical related. (She is a Nurse) The first one was above the Bridge and we assume it is from the Greek Navy history of this ship.

< Message edited by nashvillen -- 9/24/2012 2:14:45 AM >

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 6
RE: LST 325 - 9/24/2012 2:19:05 AM   
rjopel

Cool

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 7
RE: LST 325 - 9/24/2012 11:23:08 AM   
mikkey

nice, thanks for sharing, nashvillen

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 8
RE: LST 325 - 9/24/2012 9:20:06 PM   
CaptDave

Nice pictures of the vessel. And the one of you is sufficient to prove you're a model railroader!

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 9
RE: LST 325 - 9/25/2012 4:18:57 AM   
nashvillen

What is it that gave it away? The CSX camo cap or the girth?

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 10
RE: LST 325 - 9/25/2012 6:38:08 AM   
jmalter

thx for the pics, nashvillen.

LST 325 visited Pittsburgh last year, Dad & I went down to check it out. tons of folks were lined up to go aboard when we arrived, so we just crashed the line at around the 25% mark. needless to say, we were getting the hairy eyeball from our neighbors - then a guy from the crew came down on patrol, asking, "Any veterans here?"

my aged parent was pleased to say yes, & the crewman told us to go right up to the front! we were aboard in short order, & enjoyed the tour v. much. i was just fascinated to walk around in the 'living history'.

coupla' things i'd like to note:
- the pic of the shield w/ the Greek letters denotes her name in the Greek navy, "Syros".
- her 'ships papers' name is now "M/V LST Memorial", and interesting tales of her journey back from Crete to Mobile are available at the site lstmemorial.org
- BPOil (of gulf-spill ill-repute) donated the diesel fuel to fill her tanks for the trip home.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 11
RE: LST 325 - 9/25/2012 4:15:16 PM   
bjmorgan

The "general" looks like a douchebag. Gig line crooked, footgear too large, tie not correct, ...

... and it seems to me that's the wrong uniform for a high ranking flag officer in the ETO.

If he's supposed to be Patton, he should be tossed overboard and replaced.

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 12
RE: LST 325 - 9/25/2012 7:39:04 PM   
KPAX

This helps to put things in perspective seeing the pictures.

As an Allied player we get, what like 1-2 or these a day!

So just consolidate and move them around without really thinking much about them – “Heck, they are not combat ships, just move them and forget about them”.

Yet 10,000’s of men served on them, and what, like a million sit on them wafting to be unloaded on some far away beach, with a name they had never heard of 6 months before all the time most of them hoping to see their 21st birthday!

Hats off to ALL you vets!

"War makes Heros on both sides." Hero (the movie)

Thanks !!

KPAX

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 13
RE: LST 325 - 9/26/2012 3:48:27 PM   
KPAX

Nash or anyone .....

Do you know how long it will be there and the hours it is open each day?

I will be down there in that part of the ocuntry in a week and would love to see it.

Thanks !!

KPAX

(in reply to KPAX)
Post #: 14
RE: LST 325 - 9/26/2012 3:52:37 PM   
nashvillen

Sorry, she was scheduled to leave yesterday for Evansville, IN, her home port.

(in reply to KPAX)
Post #: 15
RE: LST 325 - 9/26/2012 4:19:00 PM   
KPAX

Can she be toured in her home port?

How long will it take for the journey back?

EDIT found it ... thanks.

< Message edited by KPAX -- 9/26/2012 4:25:58 PM >

Thanks !!

KPAX

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 16
RE: LST 325 - 9/26/2012 5:07:11 PM   
Nikademus

thx for posting the pics. Always forget how big these "Ships" are.

(in reply to KPAX)
Post #: 17
RE: LST 325 - 9/26/2012 6:45:49 PM   
wadail

If you ever find yourself near Tulsa, OK it is worth the trip down to Muskogee, OK (As in "Proud to be an Okie from Muskogee") to visit the USS Batfish War Memorial Park. The centerpiece is a Balao class submarine launched in 1943.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 18
RE: LST 325 - 9/26/2012 7:09:42 PM   
Nikademus

I've visited a couple US Gato/Balao class subs in my time. Always a cool experience. Even got to visit a Cold War era Foxtrot sub once when it was in Seattle which was neat.

The sub I REALLY want to visit now is the U-505. One of these days i'll get out there.

(in reply to wadail)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> LST 325 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI