Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will I enjoy it if.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Will I enjoy it if..... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will I enjoy it if..... - 9/18/2012 2:49:06 PM   
towerbooks3192

Will I enjoy it if I am not a hardcore history buff? Ok I love history and I enjoy watching WW2 documentaries on History channel (unless they show ancient aliens again and thank God pawn stars here is on a different channel)and I am new to hex-based war gaming. My first and only game (that could be considered hardcore aside from panzer general 2) is Advanced Tactics gold.

Will I like this one if I like advanced tactics? and will I like this one if I haven't really read the battles and all the stuff (yet) about WW2 in great detail? (I know the general detail and mostly in the Pacific and the involvement of my country in the war but only the general stuff about the european theatre of operations)

I was planning to get this and I am trying to get some opinions about this game since I am planning to purchase both DC games on Thursday
Post #: 1
RE: Will I enjoy it if..... - 9/18/2012 3:23:46 PM   
aspqrz

Both of the Decisive Combat games are excellent and very well done historically. They also give, IMO, just the right blend of realism and playability ... and are moddable for higher levels of detail if you wish to do so (or, as is the case, others are doing it for you!).

Well worth the price!

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 2
RE: Will I enjoy it if..... - 9/18/2012 3:42:00 PM   
Keunert

the game is faster to learn than AT:G and i like both. you don't have to now stuff, but an interest in ww2 warfare sure helps. it could also be fun to buy a book on the topic and getting to lnow case blue while playing it

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 3
RE: Will I enjoy it if..... - 9/18/2012 3:54:09 PM   
Bonners

I would say go for it. I'm also new to hex based PC games, my only one I've played prior to this was Panzer Corps. Yes the history does help, but in some ways you could be at an advantage only knowing the generalities of the campaign, so you wont always be trying to replay history as some of us subconsciously do. What also helps in this game is that you dont just get one major objective, your pesky high command will be giving you plenty of intermediate objectives which should help (or make you scream) on your way to victory.

Anyway, first strategy game for me and I'm having a blast. Currently only playing against the AI but I intend having a human vs human campaign soon. If you do decide to get it I would strongly recommend starting with the linked campaign (1st Panzer Army) first. It shows you all the main game concepts but on a far smaller scale, then once that has been mastered have a go at one of the scenarios before launching into the main campaign. Doing both of those really helped me get my head round the game before playing. Also the AAR forum I've found really helpful once I'm actually in the campaign, they begin to make far more sense and give loads of tips.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 4
RE: Will I enjoy it if..... - 9/18/2012 9:08:21 PM   
RCH

I like the game. I have only had it a short time, but I like how it plays. I can see the need for some improvements to the OOBs, but the game is moddable. I think with this game you cannot go wrong. It is priced fair and it gives a feel for the eastern front.

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 5
RE: Will I enjoy it if..... - 9/19/2012 12:48:51 PM   
PirateJock

Posted reply in WtP forum http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3182938

Cheers

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few

(in reply to RCH)
Post #: 6
RE: Will I enjoy it if..... - 9/19/2012 2:17:20 PM   
towerbooks3192

Thanks guys. Looking forward to get this once my paycheck comes in tomorrow afternoon.

I was worried that I need prior research and in depth knowledge about Fall Blau and Fall Weiss (since I will be getting WTP as well) in order to really enjoy this game. I was looking to just enjoy this as a war game and learn more about it afterwards. I love WW2 and one of the things that I love about my job is that I get to talk about some people who were there though I am limited to the pacific theatre because most of the guys at work were stationed in the pacific.

Last question though, should I go West first then East? or the other way around? and should I just read about Fall Weiss and Fall Blau after I played all the campaigns atleast once to prevent me from playing the campaign historically?

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 7
RE: Will I enjoy it if..... - 9/19/2012 2:50:31 PM   
Keunert

In order to learn the game it will be most usefull to read the aar's first. the games are no complete recreation of history. reading up on the issue will be fun and maybe give you ideas to try some things differently. but the aar's will give you more practicable hints.

I would start with the game and the campaign you like the most first. In DC1 the Polish campaign is tough nut to crack for the germans. Invading France as Axis is a lot more forgiving. DC1 is a little simpler than DC2: no replacements, no officer hiring&firing, simpler card system.

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 8
RE: Will I enjoy it if..... - 9/21/2012 3:17:09 PM   
towerbooks3192

Wow this game is daunting. I mean in ATG I get to create my own army from scratch but in this game I am thrown in the middle of things with a huge army to take command. I tried case white and I don't even know if I am doing things right or not.

As for reading AARs, I must say I am confused at times when AAR writers use some military or particular terms that a veteran war gamer is familiar with

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Will I enjoy it if..... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI