Will I enjoy it if.....

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

towerbooks3192

Will I enjoy it if.....

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Will I enjoy it if I am not a hardcore history buff? Ok I love history and I enjoy watching WW2 documentaries on History channel (unless they show ancient aliens again and thank God pawn stars here is on a different channel)and I am new to hex-based war gaming. My first and only game (that could be considered hardcore aside from panzer general 2) is Advanced Tactics gold.

Will I like this one if I like advanced tactics? and will I like this one if I haven't really read the battles and all the stuff (yet) about WW2 in great detail? (I know the general detail and mostly in the Pacific and the involvement of my country in the war but only the general stuff about the european theatre of operations)

I was planning to get this and I am trying to get some opinions about this game since I am planning to purchase both DC games on Thursday
et ignobiles oblivio
aspqrz02

RE: Will I enjoy it if.....

Post by aspqrz02 »

Both of the Decisive Combat games are excellent and very well done historically. They also give, IMO, just the right blend of realism and playability ... and are moddable for higher levels of detail if you wish to do so (or, as is the case, others are doing it for you!).

Well worth the price!

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

the game is faster to learn than AT:G and i like both. you don't have to now stuff, but an interest in ww2 warfare sure helps. it could also be fun to buy a book on the topic and getting to lnow case blue while playing it
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

I would say go for it. I'm also new to hex based PC games, my only one I've played prior to this was Panzer Corps. Yes the history does help, but in some ways you could be at an advantage only knowing the generalities of the campaign, so you wont always be trying to replay history as some of us subconsciously do. What also helps in this game is that you dont just get one major objective, your pesky high command will be giving you plenty of intermediate objectives which should help (or make you scream) on your way to victory.

Anyway, first strategy game for me and I'm having a blast. Currently only playing against the AI but I intend having a human vs human campaign soon. If you do decide to get it I would strongly recommend starting with the linked campaign (1st Panzer Army) first. It shows you all the main game concepts but on a far smaller scale, then once that has been mastered have a go at one of the scenarios before launching into the main campaign. Doing both of those really helped me get my head round the game before playing. Also the AAR forum I've found really helpful once I'm actually in the campaign, they begin to make far more sense and give loads of tips.
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

I like the game. I have only had it a short time, but I like how it plays. I can see the need for some improvements to the OOBs, but the game is moddable. I think with this game you cannot go wrong. It is priced fair and it gives a feel for the eastern front.
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

Posted reply in WtP forum http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3182938

Cheers
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Thanks guys. Looking forward to get this once my paycheck comes in tomorrow afternoon.

I was worried that I need prior research and in depth knowledge about Fall Blau and Fall Weiss (since I will be getting WTP as well) in order to really enjoy this game. I was looking to just enjoy this as a war game and learn more about it afterwards. I love WW2 and one of the things that I love about my job is that I get to talk about some people who were there though I am limited to the pacific theatre because most of the guys at work were stationed in the pacific.

Last question though, should I go West first then East? or the other way around? and should I just read about Fall Weiss and Fall Blau after I played all the campaigns atleast once to prevent me from playing the campaign historically?
et ignobiles oblivio
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

In order to learn the game it will be most usefull to read the aar's first. the games are no complete recreation of history. reading up on the issue will be fun and maybe give you ideas to try some things differently. but the aar's will give you more practicable hints.

I would start with the game and the campaign you like the most first. In DC1 the Polish campaign is tough nut to crack for the germans. Invading France as Axis is a lot more forgiving. DC1 is a little simpler than DC2: no replacements, no officer hiring&firing, simpler card system.

towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Wow this game is daunting. I mean in ATG I get to create my own army from scratch but in this game I am thrown in the middle of things with a huge army to take command. I tried case white and I don't even know if I am doing things right or not.

As for reading AARs, I must say I am confused at times when AAR writers use some military or particular terms that a veteran war gamer is familiar with
et ignobiles oblivio

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”