Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/18/2012 2:43:13 PM   
wac29

I have not seen many people writing about how dramatic the effect of heavy research with the engine bonus can be.

You can get the A6M5c way early by:

Build size-30 research factories for either the A6M2-Rufe (best) or A6M3.
Increase Ha-35 engine production by 30x (number of factories)

As the factories fully repair move them one model at a time along the upgrade path to A6M5c. I assumed they all repair by 4/1/42 and engine pool >500. In this case the A6M5c would finish:

8 factories 9/4/42
9 factories 8/23/42
10 factories 8/9/42

For the A6M8:

Build factories the same as before
Increase Ha-33 engine production by 30x (number of factories)

Finish times

8 factories 10/30/42
9 factories 10/6/42
10 factories 9/24/42
Post #: 1
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/18/2012 3:27:05 PM   
Puhis

Yes, there is many ways to exploit the game engine. The question is, why would anyone want to do that?

I just hope they get rid of that engine bonus. I mean what's the point with that?

(in reply to wac29)
Post #: 2
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/18/2012 4:01:28 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

I just hope they get rid of that engine bonus. I mean what's the point with that?

"They" probably won't, as the programming is focused on bug squashing at this time.

I think the idea was that engines helped test novel airframes and thereby speed the overall process to fielding an airframe / engine match. But yes, this can be exploited to the detriment of gameplay.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 3
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/18/2012 4:18:06 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Yes, there is many ways to exploit the game engine. The question is, why would anyone want to do that?

More engines available to put into experimental planes to crash into stuff?

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 4
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/18/2012 4:52:42 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

More engines available to put into experimental planes to crash into stuff?

I can't speak for the logic of the game programmers, but it kind of makes sense.

The P47D wouldn't have been the plane it was without engine development of the 2000hp radial that had to be built for it. This took time. Similarly, earlier P-38 models could have been THAT much more successful in the field at high altitudes with reliable superchargers to match the airframe design. You can't have jet aircraft without a jet engine, so which speeds which through the developmental process? Including this bit of code recognizes this relationship, but (again) it can quickly be turned into an exploit.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/18/2012 6:01:17 PM   
Chickenboy

Ooh...thought of another example:

How much did the 'development' of the MiG-15's engine help field the MiG-15? The British, by 'licensing' the RR Nene technology to Stalin allowed pirating, loss of copyright and ultimately a reverse-engineered "Klimov RD-45". This development-focused on 'engine-first' principles-moved the MiG-15 deployment forward by YEARS.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/18/2012 6:11:01 PM   
Puhis

I still can't understand how mass producing 1941 engine model helps developing 1945 airplane...

Hindsight and R&D are powerful features for player 1. It's a good feature, but with that engine bonus makes it way too good. Doubling R&D points cost just some resources and HI points.

Of course R&D really helps mostly plane models that have long upgrade path (especially Zeros, but also Oscars, Ki-61/100 etc.) I still feel that exploiting this feature is too easy.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/18/2012 7:49:57 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

I'm not a fan of the engine bonus either and don't make use of it. I understand player one pays for everything they get and it's a big cost involved that said it just feels like an exploit to me.

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 8
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/18/2012 8:57:49 PM   
Chickenboy

SuluSea and Puhis,

What would you recommend for PBEM games to ameliorate this issue for the Allies? I'd like to keep the 'Monty Hall" aspect of the Japanese uber-research to a minimum.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 9
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/19/2012 2:05:55 AM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

SuluSea and Puhis,

What would you recommend for PBEM games to ameliorate this issue for the Allies? I'd like to keep the 'Monty Hall" aspect of the Japanese uber-research to a minimum.

Hi Andre, here's what I feel is fair (not saying any or all will agree)

This is what I could live with as the Allied or Japan side.

-I don't use engine bonus because for me it doesn't feel right.
-Once I start moving along the upgrade path I don't skip until that airframe is nearly ready to come online (in blue).
-I have no hard or fast rules on how far in advance any plane can be accelerated. The way I look at it is the player is the one using his resources and any advancement of one line will be to the detriment of another usable airframe.
- I feel realistic R&D is a must for all but anything goes matches.

Interesting thread! have fun!!

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/19/2012 6:45:02 AM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

SuluSea and Puhis,

Hi Andre, here's what I feel is fair (not saying any or all will agree)

This is what I could live with as the Allied or Japan side.

-I don't use engine bonus because for me it doesn't feel right.
-Once I start moving along the upgrade path I don't skip until that airframe is nearly ready to come online (in blue).
-I have no hard or fast rules on how far in advance any plane can be accelerated. The way I look at it is the player is the one using his resources and any advancement of one line will be to the detriment of another usable airframe.
- I feel realistic R&D is a must for all but anything goes matches.

Interesting thread! have fun!!

Like SuluSea said. It's pretty much up to player how he is going to use R&D. Player 1 can do crazy things with it...

I'm playing PDU off game, with realistic R&D. That means I have to R&D many plane models, not just the best ones. At the moment (5/1943) I have 6 R&D factories working A6M5b, and that's my biggest R&D investment. This feels about right. I do get many models earlier, but I don't get any plane too early. I don't skip models until earlier model is nearly finished. When I started this game, I didn't even know there was an engine bonus, so I didn't pay attention of that. At the moment some of my R&D is using engine bonus, but most models are not.

Also I won't use Rufe --> A6M5 upgrade path, which means R&D of A6M5 could start early 1942, long before A6M3. IMO it's not right.

I think R&D is OK if player deside not to overuse it. For example no more than 6 R&D factories/plane model series? That should give pretty reasonable outcome.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 11
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/19/2012 3:18:49 PM   
GreyJoy

I personally restrict myself to 6 months of max advance in R&D. 6 months sounds resonable to me. But i've witnessed (from the recieving part!) with Rader how it feels to be the allies and see the Shindens coming online in jan 44, or the Jets in mid 44.... along with Tony Ki-100 in early 43 ...it just doesn't feel right

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 12
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/19/2012 5:17:20 PM   
Puhis

Ki-100 is easy to get, because it's part of the ki-61 upgrade path.

One more thing I like to add. Playing PDU off, Japan have to accelerate carrier planes if they want to accelerate carriers. Now it seems that I'm getting 2 carriers in summer 1943 without replacement planes (For example A6M5b is not ready yet). Maybe I can find some land based planes for them...

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 13
RE: Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 - 9/20/2012 12:31:05 AM   
Commander Stormwolf

i have a problem with the entire R&D system

totally unfair to let japs research stuff while allied is stuck with their historically arrival dates

better to keep the engine subtypes with historical dates, but let the variants come whenever the player wants

for example, D4Y3's engine was available from 12/42 (the Ha-33-62)

so you can decide to use the D4Y1 (Ha-60-11) or D4Y3 (Ha-33-62),

while D4Y2 (Ha-60-23) arrives in 4/44

also let the player reseize air units as they please

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to wac29)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Get the A6M5c in Aug 42 or A6M8 in Oct 42 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI