Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it possible to lengthen a PBEM game once started ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Is it possible to lengthen a PBEM game once started ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it possible to lengthen a PBEM game once started ? - 9/16/2012 4:48:58 PM   
Bigeard

I am playing a PBEM game, and we are half way through the 40 turns alloted. We both agree that the remaining 20 turns are insufficient and would like to increase the number to 30 or 40. Is this possible, now that we have started the scenario, or is it only possible before the scenario is started ?

Any help appreciated

( The forum member previously known as Geomitrak )
Post #: 1
RE: Is it possible to lengthen a PBEM game once started ? - 9/17/2012 12:46:40 AM   
Warhorse

I believe it ism just haven't tried it, please back up the bte file before you try this!!

Open the bte file in wordpad, make sure No Wrap is checked under options. You want to look at the 3rd line down, and all the way to the right, as in this example-
**The Longest Day
0 0 0 420

This scenario has 70 turns, the program takes the amount of turns, and multiplies it by 6, I assume for the 6 minute theoretical game time, ending up with 420. Your scenario or bte will show 240 in that case, take whatever amount of turns you want to extend it by, and multiply by 6, then add that to the number up there, save it, then see what it looks like when you start it up again. You will see a number in the 1st 0 slot, that divided by 6 will show you wan the current game turn is.

Hope this helps, and please let me know how it works out for you?

< Message edited by Warhorse -- 9/17/2012 12:48:58 AM >

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

(in reply to Bigeard)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it possible to lengthen a PBEM game once started ? - 9/18/2012 1:08:36 PM   
Bigeard

Mike, thanks hugely for your help. I will wait till the .bte comes back to me, then I will talk to my opponent about lengthening the scenario, and then do as you say. My opponent is in Kabul at the moment with the Ministry of Defence, and very busy, so it might be a few days or so till he does his move. However, I will definitely get back to you. Thanks again.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it possible to lengthen a PBEM game once started ? - 9/19/2012 10:42:35 PM   
Warhorse

You are quite welcome!! I've also recently, while testing a scenario redone the scenario victory points, as we didnt' want to restart quite a few turns into it. Lots you can do with saves/etc., but always make sure to discuss with your opponent!! A lot of what can be done, despite encryption, could be misconstrued as cheating, if not gone over with an opponent. Personally, I don't see the point in EVER cheating, easy as it is, why bother, only hurting yourself, really stupid IMO!!

Any way, glad to help, hopefully!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

(in reply to Bigeard)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it possible to lengthen a PBEM game once started ? - 10/6/2012 4:29:00 PM   
Bigeard

@ Warhorse

Mike, just to let you know your method is spot on - I've doubled the scenario length to 80. The scenario in question is **Flags of our Fathers by Rod Coles ( no prizes for guessing which battle it recreates ). With the Japanese using cave movement and concealment, plus the Extreme Assault rule in place, the American player has little chance of achieving much within the alloted 40 moves. Besides which, this scenario is suitable for extending anyway as the Japanese knew they would lose Iwo Jima, and the Americans would not have gone away simply because they didn't conquer the island in a set period of time. My opponent, who is playing the Americans, is grateful for the time extension.

Other scenarios may not be so suitable for extending, such as ones that involve holding ground till the clock runs out - for example John Frost's battalion at Arnhem, or the US Marines on Wake Island.

No, I don't see the point in cheating either. If you win by cheating, then you've achieved nothing. If you lose, then good grief...you can't even win when you're cheating !!

Anyway, thanks once again for your assistance in this.

Regards

Paul Kirkland

< Message edited by Bigeard -- 10/6/2012 4:33:48 PM >

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it possible to lengthen a PBEM game once started ? - 10/7/2012 7:49:59 PM   
Warhorse

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear it worked out for you! Game on!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

(in reply to Bigeard)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Is it possible to lengthen a PBEM game once started ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI