Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Gamers "Case Blue"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Mods and Scenarios >> "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Gamers "Case Blue" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Gamers &... - 9/16/2012 8:09:33 AM   
aspqrz

I hope the following link will lead to a DC Case Blue map based on The Gamers boardgame of Case Blue, which is @ 8 klicks per hex.

Those areas that are not covered by the original Boardgame map are either shown as Black (Neutral) areas (top right corner and right side of the map) or have been extrapolated from the DC Case Blue Map ... however, because the map from the Computer game is only theoretically 10 klicks across and is squoze in weird ways, the locations, all of them, in those areas are, basically, done by sight ... there was no logical way I could fit them in to a hex grid that wasn't squoze in quite the same way.

There are two such areas, basically west of Nikopol (more or less) and north of Cherson in the top right and south of Ochamchire and Makhach Kala along the South map edge at the eastern half of the bottom of the map.

Some other things that need to be noted ... Odessa won't fit on the west edge of the map north of the Crimea any way I try ... the distortions from the differences in N-S and E-W scale in the DCCB map compared to this map make it insanely difficult (feel free to try!), and it has been placed south of the Crimea, approximately the correct voyage time from the Crimea ... but not from Kherson or Nikolaev. Regard this as a likely, but not certain, change for a future revision.

The map comes with some of the underying date from the Long Case Blue scenario ... no sftypes, units or historical units, though ... but the towns/urban areas etc. on the map are nothing but placeholders ... they need to be given VP and other values, which will be the next step, and also have their changed hexgrid locations entered into the underlying game engine wherever I can find that they should be.

Along the top right edge and the eastern edges, where roads and rail lines run off the map, there are a series of Village dots that are un-named. The intention is to make these required garrisonable hexes (assuming I can figure out how to do this, of course!), eventually, and have a failure to garrison them trigger the appearance of Russian (east of the start line) or German (west of the start line) off map forces ... as, as a number of players have noticed, otherwise there is the possibility of players acting in a strategically mad way ...

The eventual plan is to include the deployment from the Summer Offensive (South) Secnario from The Gamers boardgame, which is significantly different from that in the computer game, including changes to the overall OOB (inlcuding a lot of Security and rear area units for the Germans, for a start), changed/additional sftypes for both sides, and changed TO&Es for the Germans and their Allies as well as for the Russians.

Thence, adapt all this to the underlying events and etc, if possible, and attempting to make it a viable campaign ... if this proves beyond me (sadly all too likely ... "Hello World" in BASIC is about the limit of my programming ability ) then, at the very least, it is hoped that it will make a viable PBEM campaign structure.

Feel free to modify the map in any way you see fit, and, of course, post any comments (and mention any ways to improve it ... like correcting spelling of place names, etc.) in this thread.

I hope it is of some interest and use ...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105764401/Gamers%20Case%20Blue%20mod%204ab.dc2

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
Post #: 1
RE: "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Game... - 9/17/2012 5:31:24 AM   
LiquidSky

I loaded your map...what a difference! With the expanded territory, it would be harder for the Germans to hold a line..

I did notice a couple roads that look like they should be connected, but I dont have the Case Blue game to compare it.

What's the sense of sending $2 million missiles to hit a $10 tent that's empty?

— President George W. Bush, Oval Office meeting, 13 September 2001.

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 2
RE: "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Game... - 9/17/2012 10:01:11 AM   
aspqrz

That could well be the case. Only being able to see a proportion of the map on screen at the same time makes things ... interesting ... especially since I was using the Vassal Module for Case Blue, so I was copying from a small portion of one map to a small portion of another, using ALT-TAB ... I am sure there are errors.

(I know there are some places where rivers, locs and other things are one or so hexes out because, somewhere, way back at the beginning, I missed out or added hex somewhere in the E-W alignment ... for example).

As for the Germans not being able to hold a line ... it's only a 20% increase E/W and N/S on the areas covered by the Boardgame map, and the Case Blue Boardgame OOB does have a lot more rear area Security units ...

And the whole of the NE part of the DCCB map is now Black/Neutral ...

I don't know whether that will prove a bonus for the Germans or for the Russians.

Assuming I can get the idea of the map-edge garrison requirements working, that should make a difference, too, I expect.

Rest day today, back to RPG writing ... then a few hours a day putting in Locs, editing positions in existing game scripts etc (the ones that I can find) to mesh with the changed positions on the changed map ... that's probably at least a week's work right there

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 3
RE: "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Game... - 9/18/2012 1:46:04 PM   
bwheatley

Aspqrz you should upload the map onto the scenariobank for http://advancedtactics.org/
then others can stumble upon it and get enjoyment from it as well. <3

-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 4
RE: "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Game... - 9/18/2012 3:25:24 PM   
aspqrz

I'll do that, but maybe wait till I get the basic Locs and stuff in.

Phil

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 5
RE: "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Game... - 10/13/2012 1:00:37 PM   
redmarkus4

Aspqrz did you ever complete the OOB modding for Case Blue? I am now convinced that the Soviet's are way overpowered (or the Axis is under-powered; take your pick) so I would be interested in playing with a revised OOB.

Cyberpower tower PC
Intel Core i7-3930k CPU, 3.20GHz processor
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards, each with 4095 MB
Realtek sound card
Dell 3007WFP (running at 2560x1600) 32 bit monitor
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit O

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 6
RE: "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Game... - 10/19/2012 10:18:59 AM   
aspqrz

Have I finished the OOB mod? Not really. Because of the squeezed nature, especially N-S, of the existing map, trying to fit a historical OOB really can't be done ... well, not *easily* done ... and, until I get time to finish the 8 km Gamers based map, it doesn't seem worthwhile ...

Especially, as I noted previously, I have to work on some RPG stuff I am writing as well, amongst having a life, too

I agree, based on preliminary checking, that the Soviet OOB seems over powered, and the TO&Es of Soviet units seem as way off as the German ones are ... how to get realistic strengths, though, that's a tough one. Actual strength vs TO&E is obviously problematic in 1942, as the ever changing Soviet TO&Es indicate, and I haven't really got a handle on how to handle it, so to speak.

What I need is to get my writing done first, I think, and then get back to looking at the Map, OOB, and TO&E ... probably not before Xmas, at the earliest, as my writing speed (of laid out, fairly well edited, text) is quite slow ... a couple or three pages a day ... and I have another 80 new pages to do (conservatively) plus some existing ones that need to be rewritten ...

I hope to get around to it ... "real soon now" (as they say in software development) ... seriously

Phil

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 7
RE: "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Game... - 10/19/2012 6:10:47 PM   
redmarkus4

You bought DCCB, started modding it, and then you expect to have a life too??? You really do want to have it all!!! LOL

Cyberpower tower PC
Intel Core i7-3930k CPU, 3.20GHz processor
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards, each with 4095 MB
Realtek sound card
Dell 3007WFP (running at 2560x1600) 32 bit monitor
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit O

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 8
RE: "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Game... - 10/21/2012 4:14:19 PM   
High Krausen

I actually started on the OOB mod back in August, but then our semester started and RL got in the way...I would like to see this accomplished...Having a career is highly overrated

< Message edited by High Krausen -- 10/21/2012 4:15:51 PM >

Roll Tide

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 9
RE: "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Game... - 10/25/2012 2:02:37 PM   
aspqrz

quote:

ORIGINAL: High Krausen
I actually started on the OOB mod back in August, but then our semester started and RL got in the way...I would like to see this accomplished...Having a career is highly overrated

Being at the tail end is somewhat better. End of Term 1 next year, probably ... maybe a way into Term 2 ... then all my accumulated leave and early retirement come January 2014 ... which should give me some real time between now and then, shy of Feb--Apr (or maybe Feb-May)

None too soon with the idiotic ideas our inspired and wonderful educational leadership are imposing on us

Phil

(in reply to High Krausen)
Post #: 10
RE: "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Game... - 12/4/2012 7:48:44 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: aspqrz

I hope it is of some interest and use ...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105764401/Gamers%20Case%20Blue%20mod%204ab.dc2

Phil

The zip file contained only a password protected text file.

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

(in reply to aspqrz)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Mods and Scenarios >> "Blank" Map @ 8 klicks per hex - The Gamers "Case Blue" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI