Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What exactly got you into wargaming?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 10/9/2012 12:21:42 AM   
RangerX3X

A demo on fileplanet for a game called “Red Devils Over Arnhem”.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 61
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 10/9/2012 12:38:49 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
What was it that got other posters into wargaming - whether both board and computer (or just computer) and how much is knowing the history behind a game important or not to people?

My first strategy game was RISK, probably at 11 or so. Soon enough I realized the whole thing was a joke and looked for more interesting, deep stuff and got a copy of R. T. Smith's "Desert Rats" for the IBM PC. Me and my brothers played that hot seat for years. After that it was Clash of Steel, Steel Panthers, Atomic Games' operational series, Norm Koger's TANKS!, the first version of TOAW and Schwerkpunkt's game covering the Autumn 1943 campaign for the Western Ukraine. I played those for years, well into the 2000's.

By the time I hit High School I was subscribed to a Spanish magazine specialized in wargames, boardgames and RPGs - Alea was its name - which included with each number a ziploc game. Good games, my still have very fond memories of operational-level simulations of Spanish Civil War - especially one covering the Battle of Jarama, featuring systems inspired by West End Games' St. Lo - as well as other smaller games covering obscure battles of the Peninsular War and a very nice operational simulation of the Burma 1942 and 1944 campaigns.

I didn't got into proper table top wargaming until I was 18-year-old or so, when I had enough pocket money - and the knowledge - about where to find those games and people playing them. So I sort of got 'late' to the OCS and Advanced Squad Leader worlds :-)

And yes, knowing the story behind the game is quite important for me. It's all about immersion, I think.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 62
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 10/9/2012 1:00:52 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Army Men  Reading military history, bumped into a wargaming store in 78' and that's all she wrote.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 63
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 10/9/2012 1:52:52 AM   
Skyros

Was always into military history and my brother bought me Stalingrad from Avalon Hill when I was 10, 1970. Afrika Korps and D-Day followed the next Christmas and the rest is history.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 64
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 10/9/2012 3:19:56 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Spent many hour playing those....along with War and Peace. Old memories. Now This Hallowed Ground.....DAK2 and The Battle for Normandy. That along with my mix of Matrix titles.
quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Before taking the big picture view!

Really enjoyed this and her Pacific sister PTO

Terrible game quickly discarded

Oh Yes!!!!

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 65
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 10/9/2012 8:56:25 AM   
Charly G

I'm a 50 year old gamer.
WWII : PanzerBlitz, Thrird Reich and Squad Leader. All these AH wargames were my first WWII wargames. When I was a litlle boy, my father has spent many money with boxes of Airfix miniatures.
ACW : Terrible Swift Sword (SPI). A French little boy finding passion for the ACW with Civil War News cards www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUcTSYSpD0w

< Message edited by Charly G -- 10/9/2012 9:30:30 AM >

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 66
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI