Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What exactly got you into wargaming?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 2:40:34 PM   
redcoat

There was an active wargames club at my school. My friends were in it and so I joined too.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 31
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 6:46:49 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

TOAW II.

I was not into wargames, war books, war films or military history. I don't even remember what made me buy TOAW II in the first place since it was an unusual purchase for me. However, 20 minutes after installing it I was hooked. Only abandoned TOAW II in favour of TOAW III.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

So has an interest in military history followed or are you happy to play wargames without additional knowledge?

Warspite1,

TOAW kick-started my interest in mililtary history. As far as military history goes what interests me most is the way tactics evolve and the enduring forms of strategic thought. From Gilgamesh to Bin Laden as it were. I have never been that bothered by how many rivets in a Sherman.

I should also note that although I did not have any interest in war before discovering TOAW II, I did use to build airfix models with my dad when I was knee hgh to a grasshopper. The first airplane we built was a Stuka and it still holds a soft spot in my heart even after all these years. Building models with my dad remain some of my fondest memories.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

quote:

I have never been that bothered by how many rivets in a Sherman.

Everyone knows that must-know fact, its 30,603. Duh

quote:

I did use to build airfix models with my dad when I was knee hgh to a grasshopper. The first airplane we built was a Stuka and it still holds a soft spot in my heart even after all these years. Building models with my dad remain some of my fondest memories.

Spooky - my first Airfix plane? A Ju-87 Stuka, built with my dad. Priceless

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 32
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 7:12:30 PM   
mullk

I watched films ect as a kid and used to order some plastic sets from the back of comic books. They were not war games but did wet my appetite for war games. I saw an ad for a hex based war game and finally bought panzer blitz as my first hex based game then panzer leader then the whole squad leader plus bought a bunch of SPI titles. Also did a bit of miniatures as well.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 7:12:52 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Started with WWII & Civil War miniatures and Tamiya tank & aircraft models when I was 3, worked my way up to AH Waterloo when I was 12. Then bought Stalingrad, D-Day, Invasion America, Russian Campaign, Drang Nach Osten, War in the East, War in Europe, Squad Leader, Spartan, Yeoman, Chariot, Legion, Caesar at Alesia, Highway to the Reich, Viking, Fortress Europa & the obsession exploded into full blown militarism ever since.

< Message edited by SLAAKMAN -- 9/17/2012 7:14:03 PM >

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 34
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 7:45:56 PM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Plastic soldiers and a marble.

I think this is my earliest recollection too, with matchsticks loaded into spring fired cannons!! Plus Escape from Colditz.

The marble and the matchsticks soon gave way to dice and rules sets for minatures, and then I discovered SPI.

'PanzerGruppe Guderian' was my first 'real' wargame, and from their I never looked back.

Armada SPI
Conquistador AH
Squad Leader AH
War in the East/War In Europe SPI
Trajan SPI
etc etc......

and then I discovered ADG's World in Flames & Fatal Alliances............Heaven!!

< Message edited by Empire101 -- 9/17/2012 7:54:32 PM >

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 35
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 8:00:04 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

and then I discovered ADG's World in Flames & Fatal Alliances............Heaven!!

SELAH!!!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 36
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 9:13:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Speaking of plastic soldiers - anyone remember this? I recognised the box art immediately. Happy times!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 37
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 9:26:13 PM   
warspite1

And how about this little gem?

How many of these do you remember? - most of those pictures are like I saw them yesterday, rather than 30-odd years ago. Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGr-mfkNcYM&feature=related

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/17/2012 9:40:16 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 38
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 9:50:29 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

Speaking of plastic soldiers - anyone remember this? I recognised the box art immediately. Happy times!

Heh, I had almost forgotten about the little green army men that I used to get for Christmas every year in big box sets like these. So I guess technically my first wargame was one I played with my brother when I was 8 or 9.

The backyard had been tilled up in anticipation of planting a vegetable garden and while it was loose dirt, my brother and I got some shovels and made two giant forts. We then set up hundreds of our little green soldiers and then each stood on either side of the yard and bombarded each other’s forts with dirt clods.

LOL, it was a blast. We kept finding buried green army soldiers for years after.

Jim

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 39
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 10:39:07 PM   
Empire101

quote:

How many of these do you remember? - most of those pictures are like I saw them yesterday, rather than 30-odd years ago. Wow.

That was great Warspite.....it bought back memories of a small boy gazing at the rows of Airfix kits stacked on the shelves, wondering which one to buy that week with his hard earned paper round money....
Happy Days......

Or was it more like this?..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL9qH27WUvc&feature=related

but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 40
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 12:01:29 AM   
bigbaba

my first war game was "north&south" (hate the jump&run part) at my good old amiga 500. then playing "battle isle" and "warlords" in hot seat modus against my buddies brought my definitly to wargames.

< Message edited by bigbaba -- 9/18/2012 12:02:43 AM >

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 41
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 12:07:20 AM   
Joe 98

quote:

Wow! Fantastic!

And near that video is an interview by James May with the Airfix artist!

I still buy the Airfix catalogue from time to time.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 42
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 12:14:54 AM   
redcoat

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I remember that. The Airfix Waterloo boxset. Happy days indeed.

I think I got all the bits and pieces separately over a couple of years: the plastic La Haye Sainte kit and the plastic redcoats, British Hussars, Royal Horse Artillery, Highlanders, French line infantry, Cuirassiers, French artillery and Old Guard. They are probably in a trunk in my attic now.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 43
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 12:45:52 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

Hey that brought back some great memories. Thanks warspite 1.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 44
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 5:44:11 AM   
warspite1

Whilst taking a trip down memory lane - this is the board game journey that brought me ultimately to computer wargaming and Matrix

Starting with:

Played this as a young lad - great gun game! Appel!!! Do or Die cards - great colourful pieces!

Hours of fun with this - and Diplomacy too

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/18/2012 5:52:08 AM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 45
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 5:45:01 AM   
warspite1

Then getting a bit more serious with:

Brilliant game!

On reflection, not a very good game but....

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/18/2012 5:53:10 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 46
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 5:45:43 AM   
warspite1

Then a bit of:

Couldn't find a picture of the front of the box My copy of this and W+P (below) now gone sadly.....

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/18/2012 5:54:18 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 47
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 5:46:40 AM   
warspite1

Before taking the big picture view!

Really enjoyed this and her Pacific sister PTO

Terrible game quickly discarded

Oh Yes!!!!

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/18/2012 5:48:09 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 48
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 5:49:06 AM   
warspite1

Meanwhile collecting all the GRD Europa games - although it seems this will now never be completed

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 49
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 5:54:24 AM   
warspite1

How have other peoples journey evolved?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 50
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 6:29:13 AM   
rogo727

Gettysburg battlefield when I was six.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 51
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 9:26:24 AM   
flanyboy

I was 13 had a Playstation 1 and saw Panzer General. Bought that loved it played it for years. Then saw Sid Meier's Gettysburg and got into that and then Waterloo Napoleons last battle, then Combat Mission Beyond Overlord.

I was always interested in history, probably blame my 16 year military vet father and my mother who loved Egyptian history.

Combat Mission, Falcon 4.0 and Panzer General we're probably the big 3 that kept me into wargaming into my late teens early 20s and now I have many other interests. Other games up until the last 3 years or so were for the most part passing interests. Those we're the only games that kept me interested.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 52
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 12:18:09 PM   
Max 86

Grew up watching all the war movies with my Dad. He also taught me about WW2 aircraft and helped me with making models. My brother bought me SPI's USN game covering the pacific with the stacks of cardboard counters on a paper map for Christmas when I was around 12 or so. That was all she wrote. Then when my birthday came around the next year he bought me AH's Squad Leader and 1776. I have been hooked for life and wargaming has ruined me for all other games.

For those of you who started around 12 yrs old or so, let me ask you this; did playing wargames improve your geography skillls and history knowledge? For me school history classes became a breeze and even to this day I astound people with my knowledge of geography. Which isn't saying much considering how schools underperform these days.

Some of these boxart samples really bring back the memories. I haven't thought about AH's War and Peace game in years. I wore that one out and is probably why I like the larger-scope PC games like TOF and Making History. Thanks for that.

< Message edited by Max 86 -- 9/18/2012 12:19:10 PM >

No problem Chief!

(in reply to flanyboy)
Post #: 53
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 5:02:25 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max 86

Grew up watching all the war movies with my Dad. He also taught me about WW2 aircraft and helped me with making models. My brother bought me SPI's USN game covering the pacific with the stacks of cardboard counters on a paper map for Christmas when I was around 12 or so. That was all she wrote. Then when my birthday came around the next year he bought me AH's Squad Leader and 1776. I have been hooked for life and wargaming has ruined me for all other games.

For those of you who started around 12 yrs old or so, let me ask you this; did playing wargames improve your geography skillls and history knowledge? For me school history classes became a breeze and even to this day I astound people with my knowledge of geography. Which isn't saying much considering how schools underperform these days.

Some of these boxart samples really bring back the memories. I haven't thought about AH's War and Peace game in years. I wore that one out and is probably why I like the larger-scope PC games like TOF and Making History. Thanks for that.

I was once chatting up a gorgeous Dutch girl in Australia and asked her what part of The Netherlands she was from.

Her: "Oh...you wouldn't have heard of it. It's called Nijmegen."

Me: "It's close to the German border. It's near Arnhem and Eindhoven."

Her: "You have been there?"

Me: "Err...no, but I'd like to."

Her: "You have a Dutch girlfriend?"

Me: "No"

Her: "How can you know this?"

Because this is the equivalent of a Dutch girl saying to me, "You grew up in Devonport? I know where that is. It's on the NW coast of Tasmania between Ulverstone and Latrobe". I decided not to say, "Well I'm a massive World War 2 freak and there was a fascinating battle in your area that I've wargamed extensively". Instead I went with, "Ahh..I'm just really interested in Geography. So...do you want another drink?..."

She must have really liked a man who knew his geography Lovely girl...very enthusiastic So there are other benefits as well

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 54
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 6:14:44 PM   
Empire101

quote:

Before taking the big picture view!

Really enjoyed this and her Pacific sister PTO

Terrible game quickly discarded

Oh Yes!!!!

I hated Third Reich too...was also quickly consigned to the attic!!

World in Flames......sublime wargaming.

The Wargame equivalent of a PhD in Military Science!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

I was once chatting up a gorgeous Dutch girl in Australia and asked her what part of The Netherlands she was from.

Her: "Oh...you wouldn't have heard of it. It's called Nijmegen."

Me: "It's close to the German border. It's near Arnhem and Eindhoven."

Her: "You have been there?"

Me: "Err...no, but I'd like to."

Her: "You have a Dutch girlfriend?"

Me: "No"

Her: "How can you know this?"

Because this is the equivalent of a Dutch girl saying to me, "You grew up in Devonport? I know where that is. It's on the NW coast of Tasmania between Ulverstone and Latrobe". I decided not to say, "Well I'm a massive World War 2 freak and there was a fascinating battle in your area that I've wargamed extensively". Instead I went with, "Ahh..I'm just really interested in Geography. So...do you want another drink?..."

She must have really liked a man who knew his geography Lovely girl...very enthusiastic So there are other benefits as well

Cheers, Neilster

Class!!

You should have been a diplomat Neilster!!

- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 55
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 6:18:58 PM   
doomtrader

I have found some cool tabletop wargames at my cousin house when I was like 9 YO. I already enjoyed reading history books, so the manuals seems to be fun for me. He gave me one of his games and this is how I started.
Unfortunatelly none of the kids in the neighbourhood were interested in playing those, so some simple Amiga' wargames came.

Also the important factor is that you can have the game turned on for the whole day and make your moves when you want to, even when doing something different at the same time.

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 56
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/18/2012 6:38:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max 86

warspite1

I know what you are saying, although I don't know about astounding people...more like bore people stupid. You know the person no one wants to get stuck with at parties?

Warspite1 to girl at party: "Hello, my name is warspite1. Do you know the capital of the Solomon Islands is Honiara? Betcha don't know how I know that".
Girl at party: "That's nice..er...I 've just remembered I've er... gotta go and lube my car".

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 57
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/20/2012 2:23:29 AM   
OldSarge

My family has a long tradition of military service going back long ago to those two "splendid islands" in the North Sea. My father kept a collection of books from a Great Uncle who passed before I was born. Among the collection was a deteriorating set of Gibbon's "History of the Decline & Fall of the Roman Empire". I was dreaming of past battles long before I knew of war games.

The nail was finally driven when I had a history teacher, an 11th ACR veteran fresh from Viet Nam, who used war games to illuminate the historic conflicts that were important to the World...I was hooked!

< Message edited by OldSarge -- 9/20/2012 2:24:52 AM >

Short 60 percent infantry; 90 percent artillery.
Combat efficency: excellent.
LTC Robert Wienecke, 82nd Airborne Division
G-3 report, evening June 6, 1944

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 58
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/21/2012 2:56:37 AM   
H Gilmer

I, like others, was a voracious reader. I also was really interested in planes and especially older planes such as WWI planes and WWII planes. Then the TV show "Baa Baa Black Sheep" came out and I watched that religiously. I read books like Toland's The Rising Sun (?) a two book set that my mother bought through a book club. No one else in my family read it. I read it at about 11 or 12 years old. Then, I read Winds of War and War and Remembrance. And then, of course all the movies. My mother (divorcee) took me with her boyfriend at the time and her boyfriend's son to A Bridge Too Far.

Then, as I got older, I bought Flattop. No one to play it with, so I played it by myself as well as I could. Then, in HS we had a computer class and could call into a mainframe computer at a local college and they had a simple text game for the Civil War. You had 11 battles and you chose your stance of 1-4 options. The computer chose its stance. Then you either won the battle or lost it. 7 out of 11 won you the war. I also had a history teacher who had served in 3 wars. WWII, The Korean War, and then the Vietnam War. He was a crusty old guy. Favorite saying was someone was "sucking on the hind titty of a cow".

On to Nintendo and games like Nobunaga's Ambition and Romance of the 3 Kingdoms. And I used to buy all the computer gaming magazines and long for the day I could afford a computer. My first true computer wargame was probably West Front with the watercolor picture of Eisenhower on the front. SSI? or SSG? I can't remember. I loved/love that game.

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 59
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 10/8/2012 10:14:20 PM   
Orm

There is a long answer and a short one to this qestion. The short one is that I went into a hobby store and they had a wargames and I was hooked but not yet a wargamer.

I do not know how many times I went to the store and longingly looked at this game and wondered if, maybe, I could somehow manage to find it in my budget to buy it. Alas my budget was at that time was way to limited.

But in that store I encountered a couple of wargamers and they invited me to play World in Flames (3rd edition) and then I knew that I truly found what I longed for.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 10/8/2012 10:15:19 PM >

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress. - Captain Eric Moody

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI