Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What exactly got you into wargaming?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What exactly got you into wargaming? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 7:01:14 AM   
warspite1

Rtwfreak mentioned in another post that it was watching war films that got him into wargaming.

What was it that got other posters into wargaming - whether both board and computer (or just computer) and how much is knowing the history behind a game important or not to people?

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

Post #: 1
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 9:26:58 AM   
Orm

So what is your story Warspite1?

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 10:20:50 AM   
shunwick

TOAW II.

I was not into wargames, war books, war films or military history. I don't even remember what made me buy TOAW II in the first place since it was an unusual purchase for me. However, 20 minutes after installing it I was hooked. Only abandoned TOAW II in favour of TOAW III.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 10:20:55 AM   
ilovestrategy

Being a lifelong Star Trek fan since I was knee high to a grasshopper, I once saw in high school some fellow nerds playing some weird board game with Star Trek ships. And I wanted to play! A year later I was deep into that strange game called Star Fleet Battles. I had maps, literally hundreds of counters, and stacks of rule books that I had memorized. I could tell you the BPV of every ship from from a Lyran Democratic Republic frigate to a Gorn Heavy Cruiser. By the gods I loved that game.

Only a wargamer could understand.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 12:53:07 PM   
0311USMC

The board game 'Risk'.

While few men, legislators or otherwise,have felt down the years
that they could command ships of the line or marshal air armies
without specialized training, almost any fool has felt in his heart
he could command a regiment.

T.R.Fehrenbach

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 5
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 2:16:32 PM   
nelmsm

Was always interested in military history as a youngster but one day saw an add from Avalon Hill about their war boardgames in the back of an issue of Boys Life and since I had some hay baling money on hand ordered Stalingrad. Lots of hay baling money went their direction until it turned into my weekly wages from full time work. Marriage and kids came along and I didn't figure that a wargame set up on the kitchen table would work so I abandoned the hobby. Kids old enough to have their first Nintendo and I was walking through the store with them looking for a new game and I came across a copy of Talonsoft's Gettysburg in the bargain bin and there was no stopping me this time.

Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it.

(in reply to 0311USMC)
Post #: 6
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 2:17:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

TOAW II.

I was not into wargames, war books, war films or military history. I don't even remember what made me buy TOAW II in the first place since it was an unusual purchase for me. However, 20 minutes after installing it I was hooked. Only abandoned TOAW II in favour of TOAW III.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

So has an interest in military history followed or are you happy to play wargames without additional knowledge?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 7
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 2:18:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: 0311USMC

The board game 'Risk'.
Warspite1

So were you interested in history/military or was it just another game to try?

(in reply to 0311USMC)
Post #: 8
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 2:25:57 PM   
J P Falcon

Sometimes, the reason can be as simple as being drawn to a new game by the cover.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 2:34:53 PM   
TulliusDetritus

A classmate of mine, when I was 13. I still remember the really first game we played: La Guerre des Ducs aka The Dukes' War (a small, light game which came with a magazine if I remember correctly).

Yes, that's how the whole thing started.

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 10
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 2:51:18 PM   
Walloc

Started reading "military" history when i was 7-8. Made miniatures and model planes from around then too. Learned Chess and Stratego when i was 5. Beat every one at my daycare center including the staff. Wargaming was just the next natural progression that i was introcuded too in a fantasy/wargaming store at the age of 13.

I started to read those books when i was at my granfathers he had been in the resistance during WWII so i guess i owe it too him, tho i think it was in the cards from very early on. Going by my parents stories of my personality from an very early age. As it has been mention in another place on these forums lately. He even took me to tour HMS Sheffield of falklands "fame" a year or 2 before it was sunk. When it was visting Copenhagen.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 11
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 3:22:53 PM   
SapperAstro

Started by reading my fathers old 'Commando', 'War Picture Library (and derivatives) comics. Looking at the pictures and reading as my skills increased that is...

Then on to other WW2 books, movies, etc. Finally, 'Axis and Allies' came along, and it went from there. My next move was using my pocket money to purchase a second hand version of http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2447/world-war-ii-european-theater-of-operations

Bought the Pacific version after that http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8976/world-war-ii-pacific-theater-of-operations

Other board wargames followed...

On computer, the first game I had and played was bought from a bargain bin. Life was never the same. It was the original Battlefront from SSG; http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/details.php%3FID%3D3732

I ended up buying every SSG game for the C64 and PC until sometime in the mid 90's when real life took over.

I bought various other wargames for my C64, but none really made the same impression as the SSG games. Once I had an Amiga I bought a game that I played quite a lot; Fire Brigade; http://www.mobygames.com/game/fire-brigade-the-battle-for-kiev-1943 a huge step up in wargaming for me. Second Front http://www.mobygames.com/game/second-front-germany-turns-east was also a big hit.

Once I got a PC in the early 90's, Clash of Steel http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/clash-of-steel-world-war-ii-europe-1939-45 , more SSG games, Steel Panthers 1, GG's War in Russia and a host of other games.

Game time was limited for the rest of the 90's, with a brief foray into the 5 star series (Panzer General, et al), PG II and so on, Close Combat games, etc. With the fall of Club SSI, I discovered Matrix. Rest is history.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 12
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 8:09:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

..... Learned Chess...... when i was 5. Beat every one at my daycare center including the staff.

warspite1

Goodness

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 13
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/16/2012 11:53:21 PM   
radic202

I was more into the RPG Real of Games until I purchased this ffrom Avalon Hill.

[image][/image]

Then I went on to the next 2 of their World at War Series. Darn too bad they stopped making them and I have tried countless times to get them to work in DosBox but to no avail. Operation Crusader is impossible as it still uses the old diskettes and my computer won't even recognize them even though I did purchase an external card reader just for that game. Plus I have a 64bit computer which makes it even harder to run any of those games. Praying every day the GoG (Good Old Games) will make a working copy available on their site one day.

I guess they will remain amongst my favorite games that I can't play and will never get rid of them as I loved them so much.

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

I did play this one when it first came out but nowhere near as good as the Avalon Hill Games.

[image][/image]

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 14
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 12:53:54 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

What was it that got other posters into wargaming ...

Being stationed at a remote depot in the High Sierras, not to mention an interest in computer chess courtesy of Fidelity Electronics.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 1:14:18 AM   
Joe 98

As a boy I watched the TV series: 12 O'clock High.

That got me hooked on Airfix 1/72 scale model aircraft.

That led to Tamiya 1/35 scale models

That led to an interest in military history. And I want the models to be accurate.

That lead to regular visits to Napoleon's Military Bookstore........

.......where I discovered wargaming!

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 16
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 1:46:58 AM   
Arjuna

Hey Napoleons Military Bookstore, that brings back a lot of good and some very interesting memories. I got into wargaming through my best mate who had bought a copy of France 1940. After playing it I left my school chess club and played every wargame I could get my hands on. In 1975 fresh out of uni I moved to Sydney for work and rocked up to Napoleon's Military bookshop in Pit St. I introduced myself to the proprietor Denis Brackman. He was a big yank who had fought in Vietnam. He puffed on a pipe non-stop except when he took a swallow from the ever present bottle of Coke.

I asked him if there were any wargame clubs in town. He gave me Ian Trout's number and Ian invited me over to his place for a game. When he opened the door I felt like I was the lamb ready for the slaughter. We played one of the SPI magazine games "Cobra 44". After 30 minutes he conceded defeat and demanded a rematch. Five hours later, around 2am I conceded defeat. Thereafter I was a regular at Ian's gaming sessions.

We played all the monster games and I was the only bunny prepared to partner Denis Brackman. It took me my first game of War in the pacific to realise why. Denis was looking after production and the Asian front including Indonesia. I was looking after the Pacific front. At one point after we had been playing for many weeks Denis called me out and in a flap highlighted the fact that Ian Trout and his mates had concentrated four carriers and were sailing north from Perth, headed for the Indonesian islands. He wanted to borrow my fleet of Betty bombers and all my carriers. I asked him why didn't he transfer all his bombers from Indo-china and the ones he had stockpiled in Japan. That was when he confessed that there were no stockpiles including the ones earmarked for me because he had lost them all in the massive air battles over Hanoi.

I was a tad pissed at hearing this but then wasn't the time to have a bruha over it. I said OK I'll send my carriers westward and transfer 50 of my Betty's to his level 5 airbase in Java. It was then that he told me he had not build a level five airbase in Java. My heart sank and I said to him "Then we have lost the war!"

But for all that I did enjoy Denis's company and look back on the four years I spent in Sydney with great fondness. They werre the best of days at least from the perspective of social wargaming.

< Message edited by Arjuna -- 9/17/2012 1:50:28 AM >

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 17
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 2:09:44 AM   
parusski

Can no longer recall the magazine but I saw a great ad for Fulda Gap,1981. Begged for and got it. After that I was perpetually broke buying EVERYTHING. I Followed Fulda Gap with Panzer Blitz and the...Squad Leader.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 18
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 2:25:26 AM   
Chickenboy

I think it started with chess, "Risk" and "Stratego" early on-certainly before age 10. This paralleled my interest in militaria. The first novel I read was "Red Badge of Courage", followed closely by "To Hell and Back". From there, it's been a gradual descent into "Axis and Allies", "Advanced Squad Leader" and many computer games.

For the last decade, however, it's been all about UV/WiTP/AE. Hats off to the franchise for an amazing run.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 19
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 4:07:07 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Sometimes, the reason can be as simple as being drawn to a new game by the cover.....

Yep, only with me it was Panzer Leader.

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 20
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 5:12:06 AM   
Jim D Burns

In his early 20’s my father was into making detailed historically accurate model airplanes of WWII aircraft. By the time he was into his 30’s, he owned his own retail business and no longer had time to make his models, so he picked up two Avalon Hill boardgames on an impulse buy looking for a new hobby. He and I always shared an affinity for military history. He found the games too time consuming so he opened my bedroom door one day and tossed them in.

I was probably 14-15 years old at the time, and I’ve been hooked ever since. My brother and I played the two games to death, but he never got hooked on wargaming long term the way I did. Today my boardgame collection runs in excess of 200 games.

These are the two games that started it all:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3099/gettysburg

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3646/luftwaffe

Jim

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 21
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 5:31:15 AM   
planner 3

I got into Wargamming from events of WW2, I had a world map that covered my bedroom wall, an old radio, had access to newspapers and followed the war form 1940, with straight pin flags (homemade) and the entire progress of the war was displayed on that war and updated daily, not always 100% accurate due to wartime restriction on info and mis info from other sources. It developed into a habit. All my for book reports was on Military subjects or people, (my teachers didn't appreciate my selections). When I reached enlistment age, I joined Uncle Sams War Canoe Club, my map gathered dust and finally was destroyed when the house was razed. After retiring from Navy, work came first. When I retired (2nd time) and moved to Florida I left military behind. A medical condition limited my Camping, travel, biking etc. and life got boring. My young bride of 58 years suggested I get a Hobby. This lead to computers and I stumbled on a free game in the back of a computer Magazine. It was Steel Panthers World at War, that was in 1999, it reminded me of my wall map so .......there you are. been a wargamer since.

Planner 3 (aka Chief)

< Message edited by planner 3 -- 9/17/2012 5:32:42 AM >

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 22
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 5:52:43 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

So what is your story Warspite1?
warspite1

I guess I was just trying to get an understanding of what came first wargaming or military history - or even if gaming is enough and the history side is unimportant.

As a kid there loads of military books in the house (my dad and brother) but I was a typical boy I suppose; I liked the pictures - big colourful maps of the Eastern Front showing army groups and divisions and pictures of big %^&* off battleships. Fantastic!! But I could not be arsed to actually read any of the text. To add to the interest in war it was also a big event in my house if Battle of Britain or Dambusters or Great Escape etc was on TV or - even better The World At War. I also tried to make airfix and Tamiya military models (but wasn't very good at it).

At the same time I have always loved games and competition. I guess the first "war game" was Escape from Colditz! and then later came Risk and Stratego. But it was buying Avalon Hill's Bismarck that kick started it all. I cannot even remember why I bought a wargame - although recall I was in Hamleys with a mate in 1981.

But from there, playing wargames fed an addiction to actually want to read books - I wanted to know what was behind each game I was playing. I believe the two - reading the history and playing the games feed off each other. Ultimately, reading military (almost exclusively WWII) history has become more important then game playing - due to family commitments - but thanks to the advent of the computer at least gaming is still possible. Now if Matrix would just bring out WIF then I can die a happy man!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 23
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 5:57:49 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: planner 3

I got into Wargamming from events of WW2, I had a world map that covered my bedroom wall, an old radio, had access to newspapers and followed the war form 1940, with straight pin flags (homemade) and the entire progress of the war was displayed on that war and updated daily, not always 100% accurate due to wartime restriction on info and mis info from other sources. It developed into a habit. All my for book reports was on Military subjects or people, (my teachers didn't appreciate my selections). When I reached enlistment age, I joined Uncle Sams War Canoe Club, my map gathered dust and finally was destroyed when the house was razed. After retiring from Navy, work came first. When I retired (2nd time) and moved to Florida I left military behind. A medical condition limited my Camping, travel, biking etc. and life got boring. My young bride of 58 years suggested I get a Hobby. This lead to computers and I stumbled on a free game in the back of a computer Magazine. It was Steel Panthers World at War, that was in 1999, it reminded me of my wall map so .......there you are. been a wargamer since.

Planner 3 (aka Chief)
warspite1

Interesting - thanks planner 3

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 24
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 12:05:57 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

TOAW II.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

So has an interest in military history followed or are you happy to play wargames without additional knowledge?

Warspite1,

TOAW kick-started my interest in mililtary history. As far as military history goes what interests me most is the way tactics evolve and the enduring forms of strategic thought. From Gilgamesh to Bin Laden as it were. I have never been that bothered by how many rivets in a Sherman.

I should also note that although I did not have any interest in war before discovering TOAW II, I did use to build airfix models with my dad when I was knee hgh to a grasshopper. The first airplane we built was a Stuka and it still holds a soft spot in my heart even after all these years. Building models with my dad remain some of my fondest memories.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 12:16:55 PM   
SapperAstro

@ Joe98 and Arjuna.

Haha, Napoleons Military Bookshop! I was also a regular there, and also at 'The Tin Soldier' that used to haunt the ancient Dymocks building. That is where I got most of my wargames, where the old bearded bugger with the bad attitude used to reside. He was a huge fan of operational games and smaller scenarios that, in his words 'I can play in a night'. When I used to ask about the big strategy games he used to wave vaguely towards the back of the shop...'that crap...its over there...'.

Good times.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 26
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 12:39:40 PM   
Perturabo

I was 8 and I got my first computer - C64. In my times the only original games for C64 available in Poland were crappy platformer and shooter games made by Zeppelin Games. So, the main source of games were computer markets where they sold cassettes with tens of rips of games. One would have to load a game after a game to discover what kind of games they are.
One of the about ten of these cassettes I ever bought had some wargames and that's how I started playing them. I don't remember how old I was then.
Before that I was also building models and reading military history books.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to SapperAstro)
Post #: 27
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 2:12:22 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

As a boy I watched the TV series: 12 O'clock High ...

As did I, and now Me (Memorable) TV is replaying those old Quinn-Martin productions.

As an adult, I can better appreciate Robert Lansing's acting as compared to his replacement, who formerly worked as a spokesman for Radio Shack.

Lansing suddenly quit the series for other prospects that didn't work, including a Gene Roddenbury pilot, so 12 o'clock killed him off in the first show of the new season.

Adieu, Gen. Savage.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 28
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 2:24:52 PM   
wodin

Plastic soldiers and a marble.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 29
RE: What exactly got you into wargaming? - 9/17/2012 2:34:33 PM   
Neilster

My Dad and 2 older brothers were really interested in history and as a very little kid I watched The World at War with the family. I wasn't exactly sure what was going on but there seemed to be heaps of cool planes, tanks, ships and explosions so it looked pretty interesting. Obviously lots of it was very uncool for those involved and Mum and Dad always inculcated us with an empathy for the grim reality.

I was always reading stuff that was advanced for my age, (I read The Lord of the Rings when I was 8), and I started studying the World Wars at about the same time. I also made aircraft scale models and was particularly interested in military aviation.

My brothers and I, as well as my best friend, were keen on Dungeons and Dragons. Somehow through this I was vaguely aware that there were military games that used maps, but coming from a small city in sleepy NW Tasmania, I was never exposed to them directly. It was only when I moved to the big smoke of Hobart that I found a hobby shop with actual wargames in it.

My first wargame (apart from chess) was Case Green from a copy of Strategy & Tactics. It's a hypothetical 1938 German invasion of Czechoslovakia. I convinced a friend to work it out with me. I had one of those "dazzling light and chorus of angels" moments though, when I saw the box for World in Flames. I greedily drank in the back of the box and knew I had to have it.

I bought a PC in the late 90's, (when I finally had some cash), in time for Ardennes Offensive, TOAW, Combat Mission etc Ever since then I've been waiting for the computer version of World in Flames, but Steve's doing a great job under trying circumstances and there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What exactly got you into wargaming? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI