Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does this fix work

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Does this fix work Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does this fix work - 9/14/2012 6:09:47 PM   
osiris

HI All

I need to know if this fix works for SPWAW..I find having to kill IE explorer is a really bad idea...

can someone let us know if this works...I found it on here and Im not sure what the final result was........

Killing explorer.exe in Windows Vista/7 to fix the color palette while running a game like SPWAW is not really the best possible solution. For one thing you may have problems restarting explorer. Secondly you can not multi task. I.e minimize spwaw and use email, etc.

However there are built-in compatibility options in Windows Vista and 7 that can be enabled to run older games without the need to kill explorer. The compatibility modes are enabled in Windows registry.

Now I have not tested how this works on SPWaW, but it has worked on a number of other old games having the color corruption problem on Windows Vista/7.

The easy way:
There is the fan made "Direct Draw Compatibility Tool" available that automates the registry editing process. The user only needs to run the Tool once and browse to the games .exe file he wants to patch and hit apply.
http://www.4shared.com/file/xeIljXSm/DirectDraw_Compatibility_Tool_.html

The manual method:
To enable the DirectDraw compatibility mode for SPWaW manualy you need to copy paste the folowing text string to notepad and save it to a file with the extension (.REG).
So you should then have a file called SPWAW_colorfix.reg for example. Then just run it and if all goes well you should get a promt asking if you want to add the information to your registry. Click Yes.

Copy paste the text below to your notepad:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\SPWaW-v8.403]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="mech.exe"
"ID"=hex:45,1a,94,43

If you have a 64 bit operating system you need to copy paste this text instead:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\SPWaW-v8.403]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="mech.exe"
"ID"=hex:45,1a,94,43

So if this works out you should be able to start the game from mech.exe and get no color corruption. Also note that this fix is for SPWaW (Steel Panthers World at War) version 8.403 and will not work on other versions of the game. It should work on Enhanced mod too because enhanced mod uses the 8.403 exe file.
Post #: 1
RE: Does this fix work - 9/15/2012 5:42:48 PM   
planner 3

It worked for me in win7 pro, can't vouch for any other versions of win7...still have artillery select probs, but I just hold the SHIFT KEY down when selecting artillery.

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to osiris)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Does this fix work Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI