Tower armor

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Buck Beach

Tower armor

Post by Buck Beach »

While making some adjustments to my sandbox to align some of the ship class information consistent with the Updated BigBabes, I notice that several of the Allied Heavy Cruiser classes went from having tower armor to none in the ships later upgrades. I checked back to some earlier information and found that even in the stock scenario #1 had the same information.

It seem logical that this occurred in real life. Can anybody shed some light on the subject or direct me to some online reading material regarding this?
US87891

RE: Tower armor

Post by US87891 »

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

While making some adjustments to my sandbox to align some of the ship class information consistent with the Updated BigBabes, I notice that several of the Allied Heavy Cruiser classes went from having tower armor to none in the ships later upgrades. I checked back to some earlier information and found that even in the stock scenario #1 had the same information.

It seem logical that this occurred in real life. Can anybody shed some light on the subject or direct me to some online reading material regarding this?
Something like that is referenced at http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/cruisers/ca-cl1.htm

I don’t know which ships or classes got it though. Makes sense if you are adding radar and other weight up high.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Good catch, Buck. In the game, the older USN CAs (excl. New Orleans) and the Brooklyns get the tower armor reduced to 0 in later upgrades. [&:]

I have checked a couple of books about cruisers and googled as well, but find only references about changes to masts, adding open bridges, landing a catapult etc. but no removal or changes to conning towers / pilot houses.

Devs?
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Good catch, Buck. In the game, the older USN CAs (excl. New Orleans) and the Brooklyns get the tower armor reduced to 0 in later upgrades. [&:]

I have checked a couple of books about cruisers and googled as well, but find only references about changes to masts, adding open bridges, landing a catapult etc. but no removal or changes to conning towers / pilot houses.

Devs?

Don't know the why's or wherefor's but...

From Matt's link -
Note on WWII modifications: All ships in service through WWII were
extensively modified. Modifications generally consisted of additions of
new weapons, radars and open bridges, and corresponding reductions as
weight compensation.
Large numbers of 20 and 40 mm AA guns were added,
replacing .50 cal and 1.1 inch weapons. Superstrucutures were cut down to
open sky arcs for AA weapons and as weight compensation, new open bridges
were added, and masts were cut down or removed. Many ships lost one of two
seaplanes and catapults; boats and boat cranes were removed. Conning
towers and splinter protection were reduced as weight savings;
new gun
directors were fitted, turret rangefinders were removed. Flammable
material was removed wherever possible. Modifications were generally done
after major battle damage or during major overhauls, and were done in
stages. Thus, a few ships were not fully modernized, and the details of
modernization varied from ship to ship. Omaha class modernizations were
kept to a minimum, as the ships were totally obsolete, they were
decommissioned immediately after the war ended. Most of the other ships
were decommissioned in 1946, with the last going to reserve in early 1947.
All of these ships were dramatically overweight by 1945.
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Dili

Post by Dili »

Most people doesn't know that tower armor is just a small conning tower inside the bridge. Most commanders preferred to...well command from the bridge since being inside the tower put to many problems to assess and communicate and hampered them too much.

An interesting discussion on pro and cons http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.c ... FFdOTBhB_Q
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Thank you guys!

Ah and thanks Alfred. [:)]
Asked essentially the same question in the general forums and was directed here by our Uncoverer of Relevant Threads.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”