Fixed racefile for Atuuk (everyone grab)

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

jpinard

Fixed racefile for Atuuk (everyone grab)

Post by jpinard »

Putting together some charts for myself and found an error. Not sure how much trouble this actually causes in game, but it's a conflict I fixed nonetheless.

Place in //Distant Worlds/races/ folder to replace your old file. Filename is Atuuk.txt
Attachments
atuuk.txt
(11.17 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
jpwrunyan

RE: Fixed racefile for Atuuk (everyone grab)

Post by jpwrunyan »

What is the error?
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

What is the error?

Guess I should have mentioned that hehe. The racefile has the Atuuk listed as Rodents instead of Ursidians. That could cause an issue in-game since the compiled race files have them listed as Ursidians.
szabferi

Post by szabferi »

Let me guess... are you a developer IRL ?

Cause they used to fix things which they are not sure at all if broken [;)] but always claim this could cause an issue. And when I ask (as a testlead) that what should I look for/how to test the fix, they can't come up with anything....
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Lol.I am amazed I never noticed this.
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

so is this officially the fix or should we just wait for the next patch.. I know this is pretty small but I haven't had any crashes either in the game regarding this or even noticed it (not that im that aware though..)

Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I don't think it is necessary to change anything. The game does stuff correctly, even if various files disagree a bit.

That is my belief, at least. And what gives the less work.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

It is just possible, too, that the game uses the attributes 'rodent' and 'ursidian' in undisclosed ways.  If this happened to be the case having rodent in one place and ursidian in another could be triggering certain behaviours/abilities for the Atuuk.  Chances are it is just a mistake but at this point who really knows?
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

The race is just the description for them in game, it doesn't do anything else.
They changed to rodent a long time ago and I reported that they are said to be rodents but still have the biases of Ursidian.
Nothing will change in your games except they will be written as Rodent when you look at them in the Diplomacy window.
szabferi

Post by szabferi »

Thats why my policy is: if it is not broken, don't try to fix it :)
Apheirox

Post by Apheirox »

ORIGINAL: Haree78

The race is just the description for them in game, it doesn't do anything else.
They changed to rodent a long time ago and I reported that they are said to be rodents but still have the biases of Ursidian.
Nothing will change in your games except they will be written as Rodent when you look at them in the Diplomacy window.

Race family normally affects diplomacy, causing certain other empires to like or dislike you more. Are you saying that is not the case here?

I think I'll just leave the game files as is, it doesn't seem clear to me that this discrepancy is a bug and unintentional.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: Apheirox

Race family normally affects diplomacy, causing certain other empires to like or dislike you more. Are you saying that is not the case here?

I think I'll just leave the game files as is, it doesn't seem clear to me that this discrepancy is a bug and unintentional.

Race families used to be the way the game determined if races liked each other, a long time ago though this was all moved to the biases file which defines each relationship individually, this was a great help to modders. Back in the old days Cylons would love humans :)
Now the race family is nothing more than an indication of what relationships are likely to be because the bias file sets them that way.
I could change Humans to be Rodents and it wouldn't change a thing, in their bias settings they like and are liked by humanoids etc.

In extended I mixed this up a little to make it so the extended races are liked and like based not entirely by race type.
Apheirox

Post by Apheirox »

Thanks for the explanation. Your mod looks very interesting and professional. I never seen to delve into a game's mods enough so perhaps your work is a chance to remedy that. :)
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Haree78, since you know a lot about this stuff. The races.txt file. Is that totally ignored now too? That thing is way messed up compared to each individual race file. Also, does the Galactopedia pull information from the race files or is that static information? If so, I've found 3 errors in the Galactopedia too.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Yes the races.txt file is completely redundant in the current version of the game, it's still in your directory because patches generally add not delete content.

Galactopedia is mostly static, I think it uses the pictures from the main directories but pretty sure most of the text is static.

@Apheirox Thanks a lot, going to be a nice update soon that will really spice the flavour up some more. Plus with the use of Martian's images I can make all race images pretty much consistent looking.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

This issue should be detailed in the wiki. That is exactly what it is there for. So I want to clarify: for all intents and purposes Atuuk behave as Ursidians, right? They only APPEAR to be rodents in the game text, right?
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Their biases are exactly equal to certain other Ursidians yes.
Each race has it's own behaviour, but race usually would define biases towards other races, in other words who they naturally like and dislike. But Atuuk biases are the same as other Ursidian not Rodents.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

This issue should be detailed in the wiki. That is exactly what it is there for. So I want to clarify: for all intents and purposes Atuuk behave as Ursidians, right? They only APPEAR to be rodents in the game text, right?

They would be considered rodents for the purpose of migration policies.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

Thank you, I will update the wiki accordingly.

EDIT:

Actually, not everything is ok.
I want to confirm this as well:
Other Ursidian races share preferences towards Atuuk also right? Atuuk like Ketarov and Ikurro. Ketarov and Ikurro like Atuuk?
Also, colony policies affect Atuuk as though they are Rodents, right? So if I am playing Teekan and I set my colonies to exterminate aliens from non-Rodent races, the Atuuk are safe, but the Ikurro and Ketarov are not?
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Thank you, I will update the wiki accordingly.

EDIT:

Actually, not everything is ok.
I want to confirm this as well:
Other Ursidian races share preferences towards Atuuk also right? Atuuk like Ketarov and Ikurro. Ketarov and Ikurro like Atuuk?
Also, colony policies affect Atuuk as though they are Rodents, right? So if I am playing Teekan and I set my colonies to exterminate aliens from non-Rodent races, the Atuuk are safe, but the Ikurro and Ketarov are not?

hehe, this reads like a "Who's on first?" skit.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”