Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Display Data (for AARs++)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Display Data (for AARs++) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Displa... - 9/12/2012 1:34:54 AM   
General Staff

From the What's New File (whatsnew.pdf) for TOAW III (v3.4): "The SitRep Log now includes combat results information – and that information is also available in a .CSV file that can be employed in AARs. There are already user-made routines to exploit this."

Rather than reinventing the wheel, can anyone point me to any of these user-made routines or their creator(s)? Thanks.

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
Post #: 1
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 2:34:46 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Staff

From the What's New File (whatsnew.pdf) for TOAW III (v3.4): "The SitRep Log now includes combat results information – and that information is also available in a .CSV file that can be employed in AARs. There are already user-made routines to exploit this."

Rather than reinventing the wheel, can anyone point me to any of these user-made routines or their creator(s)? Thanks.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2711227&mpage=1&key=csv�

(in reply to General Staff)
Post #: 2
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 2:58:52 AM   
larryfulkerson

As it happens I once upon a time wrote a program in Java that would parse the CSV files that TOAW III outputs to get an HTML file you could view with your browser which was a report on all the combat events that took place that turn. But this was a couple of years
ago and unfortunately my hard disk crashed and took all my files with it. Alas, there's no trace of my program left but a search of the
forum might reveal the appropriate thread where I posted it ( but Matrix games has probably already deleted the thread ) but I don't
remember, now, what the name of the program was nor the name of the specific thread. It's probably somewhere on somebody else's
hard drive but unless somebody remembers it and still has it I suppose we're out of luck. It's been so long ago that I don't remember the
specifics of the program and I've been playing WITE and WITP-AE since then and TOAW III only shows in my rear-view
mirror. I took a look on the file server where I've stored a bunch of TOAW stuff but alas, I could find neither hide nor hair of any
related files. I'm guessing it's long gone by now. Sorry.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/12/2012 2:59:40 AM >

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 3:18:59 AM   
General Staff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2711227&mpage=1&key=csv�

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
As it happens I once upon a time wrote a program in Java that would parse the CSV files that TOAW III outputs to get an HTML file you could view with your browser which was a report on all the combat events that took place that turn. But this was a couple of years
ago and unfortunately my hard disk crashed and took all my files with it. Alas, there's no trace of my program left...

Thanks. But unfortunately link dead. Larry, I guessed it was you somehow...

So... that leaves me with the dreaded Q 'is there anybody out there who kept a copy?'. Happened to me a while back with the Victory Level Calculator- I still have the exe file but the VB project file is long gone too, and a plea for anyone who had one to get in touch didn't work then either.

So, is there anybody out there who kept a copy?

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 4
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 1:43:08 PM   
shunwick

General Staff,

I have Victory Level Calculator but only the .exe no vb code.

I also have Larry's CSV reader which was cunningly named Project 1

I think that I can send it to you via a PM. Going to try that now.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

Post #: 5
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 6:40:14 PM   
General Staff

TVM. If you ever do run across my VB Project file, would greatly appreciate a copy. Now I'm going to take a look around my archives to see what I can find for your projects.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 6
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 7:15:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick
General Staff,

I have Victory Level Calculator but only the .exe no vb code.

I also have Larry's CSV reader which was cunningly named Project 1

I think that I can send it to you via a PM. Going to try that now.

Best wishes,
Steve

Hey Steve......I've had a change of heart. I decided to recreate the CSV reader program from fresh scratch this morning. I just now got through downloading the Eclipse IDE to do so. I'd appreciate a copy of whatever you have ( Project 1 ) as well. Especially any
source code you might have for it. I'm going to try to re-create it for you guys so you can at least have a report on all the combat
events that occured during the turn I'm at fulkersonlarry60(at)gmail(dot)com Thanks.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 7
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 8:01:35 PM   
Sekadegas

Welcome back Larry

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 8
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 8:13:52 PM   
shunwick

Larry,

Tried sending the file by email but got an unable to deliver message. Will try again via PM.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Sekadegas)
Post #: 9
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 9:16:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

Hey Steve:
Your PM worked it's magic. I found enough clues to do a search around the hard disk and found all the input files needed to reconstruct the CSV reader program. It's working and ready to deploy.

You guys can find the Project 1.zip file here:
Click here to download it

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/12/2012 9:49:20 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 10
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 9:38:53 PM   
larryfulkerson

By the way you guys........I've been away from TOAW for such a long time that I don't remember which is the "current" version and I
don't remember what the command line switch is to turn on the outputting of the CSV files. Can somebody help me out with that?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/12/2012 9:47:44 PM   
larryfulkerson

You guys can find the Project 1 zip file here:
Click here to download it.

Thanks again Steve.

EDIT: So um.........I was thinking that maybe a simple text file would be preferable to an HTML file as output. Anybody have a preference?

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/13/2012 10:10:32 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/13/2012 6:45:39 PM   
shunwick

Larry,

The currrent version is 3.4.202. The csv file is output with the sitrep log. So just turn on the Sitrep Log.

Personally, I would prefer the output of the csv reader in a txt file. Can you make it optional though? That would be ideal.

Glad you found the files ok.

Best wishes,
Steve

Post #: 13
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 9/13/2012 7:13:11 PM   
General Staff

You can just open the CSV file in MS Excel or OO Calc and then save as a TXT file to do this.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 14
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 2/26/2013 7:26:02 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Staff
You can just open the CSV file in MS Excel or OO Calc and then save as a TXT file to do this.

So um.......The CSV reader program I wrote outputs an HTML file that you can open in your web browser but I was thinking that the
player / user of the program might rather have a regular text file instead of an HTML file. Hence my question originally.

Post #: 15
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 8/18/2013 1:41:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the kind of output you get right now from Project 1. I'm going to try to develop a version that outputs text instead so it would
be handier for players to do cut / paste operations so they can use it for their AAR. I'm thinking of calling it "CSV formatter" or something
like that to distinguish it from Project 1. Stay tuned.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/18/2013 1:42:10 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 8/18/2013 1:44:21 PM   
fogger

Larry, you have mail. Catch you tomorrow night.
cheers
john

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

Post #: 17
RE: SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Di... - 8/18/2013 6:40:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

Okay here's the version that outputs txt instead of an html file. Just truncate off the dot txt from the filename and THEN unzip it. The
CSV_formatter.exe file uses the same DLL's that Project 1 needed so just drop this bad boy in the same directory as Project 1 so it can
find it's needed DLL's.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> SitRep Reports- User-made Routines to Manipulate/Display Data (for AARs++) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI