Matrix Games Forums

Hannibal: Terror of Rome goes into BetaBattle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and Salute
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dosmod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Dosmod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dosmod - 9/12/2012 12:06:01 AM   
dostillevi

I'm releasing a few pet projects I've been working on as I finish them, collectively under the header "Dosmod."

For the time being I'll also consider any requests you might have for custom work, but my tools, skills, and time are limited!

Finished:
Shield Effects
Large steam game icon

In the works:
-Updated EVE Online ship mod

On the table.. somewhere:

-Ships and races from other sources
--Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
--Suggestions?
-High quality stars and star effects (also black holes, supernovas, etc)
-DWMM (Distant Worlds Mod Manager)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dostillevi -- 9/14/2012 7:18:42 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Dosmod - 9/12/2012 12:08:04 AM   
dostillevi

Shield effect preview:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dostillevi -- 9/12/2012 12:11:32 AM >

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 2
RE: Dosmod - 9/12/2012 12:53:30 AM   
jpinard

Beautiful!

I have a request. Could you mkae higher resolution stars/suns and make the "burning/boiling" effect smoother?

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 3
RE: Dosmod - 9/12/2012 5:32:25 AM   
dostillevi

Those are definitely in need of improvement. I'll take a look.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpinard

Beautiful!

I have a request. Could you mkae higher resolution stars/suns and make the "burning/boiling" effect smoother?

(in reply to jpinard)
Post #: 4
RE: Dosmod - 9/12/2012 10:24:25 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: dostillevi

quote:

Beautiful!

Check out this link concerning smoother suns:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2422975

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 5
RE: Dosmod - 9/12/2012 11:09:25 PM   
jpinard

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

quote:

Beautiful!

Check out this link concerning smoother suns:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2422975

I've used those, but they lack definition. You can't see the surface boiling hardly at all, and a higher resolution star would also be nice as that one just changed the alpha animation (I think).

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 6
RE: Dosmod - 9/14/2012 7:16:46 AM   
dostillevi

A large .jpg that can be used for Steam's game library tile view

This image is not mine, just something I found online and edited.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dostillevi -- 9/14/2012 9:26:57 AM >

(in reply to jpinard)
Post #: 7
RE: Dosmod - 9/15/2012 7:29:19 PM   
dostillevi

The motion effects for stars and other stellar phenomena are stitched together from a series of .png files, 300 for star coronas, 100 for black hole, etc. These would need to be recreated at a higher resolution in order to remove the blocky effect, but I don't have or know of a free program where that is possible. I don't have Photoshop unfortunately.

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 8
RE: Dosmod - 9/15/2012 7:52:36 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

The motion effects for stars and other stellar phenomena are stitched together from a series of .png files, 300 for star coronas, 100 for black hole, etc. These would need to be recreated at a higher resolution in order to remove the blocky effect, but I don't have or know of a free program where that is possible. I don't have Photoshop unfortunately.

Do you mean starting from scratch with the image in question, or do you mean increasing the res for image? (eg, from 1000x1000 to 5000x5000) If so enlarging, increasing the res, is not the way to go, that will only make it worse unfortunately. I use Irfanview for image manipulation, it can stitch images, resize etc and to be honest its better at most things in that respect, once ive got the image and sized, cut it etc I drop it into PSP9 for final adjustments.

Darkspire

Darkspires's File Repository

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 9
RE: Dosmod - 9/15/2012 9:23:26 PM   
dostillevi

I agree they need to be redone from scratch. Its too bad because the animations aren't bad at all, just very low resolution. The graphics engine, such that it can be called that, may also be a limiting factor. Note how long it takes nebula backgrounds to load when zooming in, for example. A higher resolution .png for stellar phenomena may lead to similarly long load times, such that the benefit is lost. I loaded up the entire game on a ramdisk with just about no performance improvement in either zooming or graphics loading, so the problem must be with the graphics code. My suspicion is that moving from a 2d to a 3d engine would dramatically improve performance for most people.. my processor doesn't have integrated graphics and nvidia has been putting out very poor quality 2d graphics drivers for some time now. I suspect those with intel integrated graphics actually have better performance currently, but I can't test this.

The alternative.. well, since these don't need to be especially detailed effects my backup plan to recreating them would be to increase the resolution and then blur it slightly. This would actually decrease the quality of the image, but my hope is that it would remove some of the blocky artifacts that can be seen currently while providing a more visually pleasing alternative. Of course I am not about to do this for 400 individual frames so I'll try out irfanview, which I've had installed before but never used.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Dosmod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI