Disadvantage to GD 1938

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Twotribes

Disadvantage to GD 1938

Post by Twotribes »

Love the scenario. BUT, it promotes encourages and just about demands that the war start long before September 1939. Further due to the major rivers in France a Mechanized Germany can not easily defeat her once they reach Paris.

WARNING to those not aware..... have a couple Armies of SMG and Rifle with support equipment that uses horses or you won't be crossing that river.

The Soviets and America are free to build tons of factories long before they join the war. Hell it is Oct 1940 and the Soviets have over 1000 rifle and support with 50 or 60 artillery not to mention 5 Armor factories.

Thinking I may start over now that I know my force structure can't get at the French. To bad too cause I couped Turkey ).
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ernieschwitz

RE: Disadvantage to GD 1938

Post by ernieschwitz »

I am not sure i see it as a disadvantage that the war starts way before september 1939. I was not aiming at historicity, as much as i was aiming at a what-if situation.

I am not sure you are right about the impossibilities of using a mechanized structure to conquer Paris eitehr. It seems to be working, at least in the games i have played.

But i am glad that you love the scenario. That is high praise!

If you have ideas for what can be improved and so on, feel free to write it.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Neither my armor nor my half track mounted Infantry can cross the river in front of Paris except at the damaged bridge. Nor can they attack across said river. Simple fact. Further Engineers need 200 points to repair the Bridge.

At Le Havre I can only attack at the Bridge, not the hex across the river that also borders the city. I had the same problems in Belgium.

My armor is useless as the rivers make it impossible to attack.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I have forwarded your observations to Bombur. He will decide if the movement values should be changed. I think that it is ok, they can attack over rivers, but really Bombur would know more than me about it.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Further my damaged Infantry that is half track mounted can not return from Paris even at the damaged bridge. They still have 88 AP so it is not because they are low on AP.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I´ve been looking at other scenarios that depict france, and i can see they all choose to have the Seine run south of Paris.. I can´t do that however, cause that will make it merge with the Loire. Thats the price i paid for making a map that was so "petit" in Europe.

If there hadn't been that problem, i would have moved the Seine for you.

Moving Paris a hex north isnt an option either really, as it would put it bordering Lille.

I will try and see if we can lower costs for vehicles to cross rivers, but don´t hold your breath. Some people might think it is still very realistic that you cannot ford the Rhine for instance without a bridge..
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I noticed the difficulty in river crossing myself, given the time scale, is it realistic or does it just feel wrong ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I am currently looking into it more in detail. But i can´t promise anything...
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I noticed the difficulty in river crossing myself, given the time scale, is it realistic or does it just feel wrong ?
At a month in time there is no reason armor and mech forces can not cross rivers more easily. Further since engineers cost so much to do so and require the far hex to be under control one can not simulate an opposed crossing at all. Just maintain horse drawn Infantry lots of artillery and air. You can beat even armor with enough support and time.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I´ve talked to bombur, and we agree. We have lowered the cost of crossing rivers for most units, except horses which for some odd reason had no penalty. It should now be possible for units that are mechanized to cross rivers.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I´ve talked to bombur, and we agree. We have lowered the cost of crossing rivers for most units, except horses which for some odd reason had no penalty. It should now be possible for units that are mechanized to cross rivers.

Is this available for down load? I am not playing it right now due to frustration but I really do love this scenario.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Yes, it is in the scenario bank :) Ready for download.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

:) Have fun trying to please everyone ernie it's a heck of a scenario i can't wait to play it sometime.
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Hi, Two Tribes, thank for for helping us to develop this scenario. Your comments have been pretty useful. This scenario is too complex and it will take a long time to fix all the bugs. I also would like to see your opinion on the sea transport system. I feel it´s very hard for USA to take their stuff out of America, maybe it would be a priority to allow easier transportation of military hardware, but I haven´t see any complaints up to now.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Bombur

Hi, Two Tribes, thank for for helping us to develop this scenario. Your comments have been pretty useful. This scenario is too complex and it will take a long time to fix all the bugs. I also would like to see your opinion on the sea transport system. I feel it´s very hard for USA to take their stuff out of America, maybe it would be a priority to allow easier transportation of military hardware, but I haven´t see any complaints up to now.

I haven't gotten that far, the problem I see with changing sea transport is you would need special case for US as it would also help Japan and Germany.

As the US you have plenty of time to build up sea lift. And lots of PP if you delay a little. Even assuming an immediate attack by Germany the US will still take time to join the war and can easily build one factory every couple turns.

Perhaps make level 3 troop transport faster and more able to haul troops? And cost more to research.

The only complaint I might have is the fact that early in the war the US and Japan used civilian transport to move their sea born troops and that is pretty hard to do in game as you have so few commercial transport. Perhaps increase slightly the carry capability of Cargo ships?

I generally double the amount of cargo ships per Country. But that doesn't mean there isn't enough I just prefer it that way.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Newest build started with Soviet turn and skipped all three axis Countries first turn, is that intended?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

No? That is a mistake. Sometimes the editor does things like that... And if i forget to check, then this is what happens. I`ll get right on uploading a new version.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

A new version (v. 1.20b) should be in the scenariobank now. I made sure personally that it did not start the wrong way...
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Thanks. Only played the first turn so no loss.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Why does Japan only get 1800 from chem factory at 150 percent production?

Also France is in dire straights right off the bat. No problem handicapping them but it makes it hard to get the engineers built and supplied long enough to build a chem factory. Britain can not help right away because The British Isles need a chem factory also. ( well I did forget to channel Canada there, maybe that will help)

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”