Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC - 9/16/2012 2:50:37 PM   
towerbooks3192

I happen to stumble upon classic random game and I have a question:

Is there a way for me to play a game with those classic ww2 unit photos (from classic masterfile something)with very very very expensive research and raw/oil is applied so that it would be harder and my tanks and armored vehicles needs oil to run?

(in reply to Meanfcker)
Post #: 31
RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC - 9/16/2012 3:16:23 PM   
Meanfcker

I dont know about that but l should like to offer a bit of advice.
The AI will always out tech and out produce you no matter what settings you start with.
That is no real problem as the AI is not very clever.
You dont really need a lot of tech when you first start playing.
I found that I would start buying techs and experimenting with them after I was beating the AI.
The Ai also has a harder time on larger maps so you may consider this when you get started.
The Ai will generally produce a large army very quickly and push up against you until you break.
It is very easy to let the bulk of the AI army through your lines into a dead end and trap it there.
Then you may go over to the offensive and experiment with the differnt techs.
You wont really need to tech very much until you start playing against smarty alec pants human players.

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 32
RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC - 9/16/2012 3:30:14 PM   
towerbooks3192

Well what I meant to say is that I love the classic unit portraits and the way it is sort of slower compared to at2 but the thing is that is there a mod or something that will enable me to play classic or that pt/advanced pt master file or something with the research that is so expensive and the ore and oil system and the rail system of atg is applied? I mean if I play with the default atg masterfile I could play with the cartoonish unit portraits and the ore/oil mechanic is applied. I was hoping to play with classic/pt masterfile unit portraits and what-not with very expensive research and ore/oil and rail system applied

(in reply to Meanfcker)
Post #: 33
RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC - 9/16/2012 4:04:48 PM   
Meanfcker

Sorry can't help, I have never played any of the mods.
I was a pretty big Hearts of Iron 3 fan as well, but I have to say, there is no comparison.
This is the best game ever created.
If this had been around in the 1890's we would probably never heard of Napoleon or Clausewitz.

Post #: 34
RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC - 9/17/2012 7:23:54 AM   
towerbooks3192

Its alright mate. Thanks for the tip and I sent Vic a pm asking him about it.

As for HOI 3 I got all expansion up to FTM and I am waiting for their finest hour. Its one of my unfinished business and I must say no matter how hard I tried to scale the learning curve its still too confusing. I never had trouble with CK2 and EU3 but HOI 3 is a tough nut to crack

(in reply to Meanfcker)
Post #: 35
RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC - 9/17/2012 8:01:59 AM   
Josh

Same here with HOI3... too many sliders and knobs doing whoever knows what  Too confusing, and the real time aspect of it gives me the creeps, never got used to it.

Post #: 36
RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC - 9/18/2012 2:31:45 PM   
towerbooks3192

Yeah I guess HOI 3 is too much but one day. Maybe if I could find a decent LP or tutorial I could scale its learning curve.

Anyway, I played this new game (keep on restarting if I made a mistake so I haven't finish a single game yet) and I guess I had 2 AI plus the hidden one so I am facing 3 enemies. I did not expect a game on a small map could take so long. Its just sending troops forward and backward and most area of the front I am fighting on is jungle and forests so its pretty hard for me to advance my troops. The AI started to place flak on its units so my air strikes are less effective (heck they were already less effective in jungles)

I wish there are flamethrower units and maybe we could cut through or burn jungles and forests. I am having trouble forming an offensive unit that is effective in jungles especially when AI units have armored cars.

Edit: Heck I was planning to get DC WTP and CB this thursday and now I must say that with only a small map there are a lot of units to keep track of but I will carry on and try to get use to this kind of game so that I could tame monsters such as WiTE and WiTP AE in the future

< Message edited by towerbooks3192 -- 9/18/2012 2:35:33 PM >

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 37
RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC - 9/18/2012 3:17:38 PM   
Josh

Oh rugged terrain, jungle, forests is even for seasoned players tough. Period. Tough. Hard work.  It's always costly and takes forever. First of all you cover your flanks out in the open fields with Armour, do not send tanks in the jungle. Then you relay heavilly on Arty, the more the better. Lots of it. Sometimes an enemy unit takes two turns of bombardment (plus airsupport in the form of level bombers... if there's no Flak around!!) and a complete encirclement... before you attack from 3-4 preferrably all six hexes. HQ close by for HQ bonus. So you need lots and lots of troops, lots of Arty and a lot of time to beat the jungle. You have to maintain a front *and* encircle an enemy unit and keep it encircled for one-two turns.
Smg, instead of Rifles, are the ones you want to use for close combat. I make units of 30 Smg's, 5 Mortars, 5 Mg's, 2 AT guns or 1 AT gun and 1 Inf gun... plus horses. Take your time to encircle the enemy in the jungle, attack his weak spots, then hit him with all your Arty for 1-2 turns and attack with 6 units from 6 hexes... that is one hex taken...

Post #: 38
RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC - 9/19/2012 10:50:04 AM   
towerbooks3192

Thanks Josh. Will try to remember that. So SMGs are alright as replacements for Rifles in close quarters (cities and forests/jungles) and I could use them alone even without Rifles in the unit?

As for bombardments and attacks, isn't there a penalty for attacking/bombarding a hex twice? I mean I am limited to that number below the screen of participants (that 100/100 I forgot its name) and its better to be as close to the number as possible so lets say I usually have 5 arty in an arty unit and if I use one its 50/100 and 2 will be 100/100 so I should not add my other artys in that bombardment so it would not exceed that number?

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 39
RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC - 9/19/2012 1:24:21 PM   
Josh

*if* I remember correctly Smg's are twice better when attacking in close combat situations (it's in the combat stats somewhere) , makes sense no? On the defense it doesn't make any difference whether you use Rifles or Smg's. On open ground when you use Inf to accompany Armour I prefer Rifles.
Yes the Battle stack number, same for Air battle stack or Artillery stack, is 100. Try to aim at that number because much higher than that and you get a diminishing effect. The BS, AS and Artstack numbers are noted in the right hand panel. So yeah you can use two times 5 Arty, which is what I do too, to get to 100. Note that if you use Artillery that has already fired at some other target but still has some Action Points left, then you can use that Arty unit for firing at another target. It does add it's total number of Tubes to the Artillery Stack... but it won't be effective as an Artillery unit that hasn't fired because that one has more AP's left. So suppose you have an Artillery unit of 10 Tubes but with only 20 AP's left, it fires/ attacks two times only, but it does get you already the 100 BS.
So it doesn't matter if you attack 1 time with 10 tubes to get to 100, or 5 times with 2 tubes to get to 100. I must say that above 100 you start noticing a diminishing effect, but it really kicks in above say 200.This stack value has been added to prevent Artillery Uberkills, I mean in the old AT you could wipe out anything with Artillery *if* you had enough of them. Artillery is very very good for lowering readiness, see that green bar decrease, the lower the better. A surrounded unit (out of supply) bombed twice ( I mean two turns) is ripe for the plucking. Alass no capturable equipment ... yet. Would be nice tho.
Oh strafing groundforces with Fighter planes is  *great* way to get them to high Exp!!! Same for ships, get them to 80 or higher Exp  
Another thing is that kills with Arty does raise the HQ Exp, not so for Airplanes kills  

< Message edited by Josh -- 9/19/2012 1:26:53 PM >

Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> RE: Couple of questions regarding AT and DC Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI