Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/10/2012 9:33:13 PM   
AW1Steve

This will be a AAR for an UPCOMING PBEM between Andre (Chickenboy) as the Japanese (Of course) and Myself as the allies (I don't play "factory manager in the Pacific" WAH!)

At this point I'd like to cordially invite you all to follow and comment , and Andre to "cease and desist" in reading this AAR till it's done. Thank you.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.
Post #: 1
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/10/2012 9:43:28 PM   
AW1Steve

This will be a some what off balanced begining , as Andre wants to play scenario 2 and try out some new theories. In addition to that the December 7 rules are quite simple....I can't do a damned thing, except sit there with a stupid look on my face. I can't make any changes on the board at all, except in China. He's letting me move force Z but he's put restrictions on where I can move, and because it's too confusing I thought I'd be a nice guy and disband force Z and give the crews the weekend off!

Not many house rules, no strategic bombing before 1943. No "strato sweeps". I think that's it. You move troops, you pay full price in PP's.

As he had a problem sending me the turn there will be a slight delay in my response.

I've played Andre twice before. He LOVES hitting Manila hard, and loves going full bore in China.

While I'm usually a fan of a Modified "Sir Robin" , I'm not sure I have much of an option. I expect him to both Hit PH hard, and Manila much harder. I'm assuming everything in the PI is toast. I'll probably not have many choices in defense , a fighting retreat or simply a full fledged rout!

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 2
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/10/2012 9:53:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

This will be a AAR for an UPCOMING PBEM between Andre (Chickenboy) as the Japanese (Of course) and Myself as the allies (I don't play "factory manager in the Pacific" WAH!)

At this point I'd like to cordially invite you all to follow and comment , and Andre to "cease and desist" in reading this AAR till it's done. Thank you.

Well, I got to see the first screen at least.

Thanks for the rematch, Steve-o. I'm looking forward to it, Allied Dog!

You misspelled "Sanders" too, Yankee!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/10/2012 9:55:00 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Well, I got to see the first screen at least.

Thanks for the rematch, Steve-o. I'm looking forward to it, Allied Dog!

You misspelled "Sanders" too, Yankee!

Deliberately. The original is copyrighted!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/10/2012 10:36:39 PM   
BBfanboy

Should be a great match! Remember to put on your flaggelation cloak for the first six months!
As for ideas - if you expect to lose all the shipping in the South China Sea region, you might as well do something aggresive with it. Send the Hong Kong DDs to Samah or Takao. Send the MTBs to Lingayen. Send Boise and Houston to Peleliu!

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 5
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/10/2012 10:44:14 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Should be a great match! Remember to put on your flaggelation cloak for the first six months!
As for ideas - if you expect to lose all the shipping in the South China Sea region, you might as well do something aggresive with it. Send the Hong Kong DDs to Samah or Takao. Send the MTBs to Lingayen. Send Boise and Houston to Peleliu!

What would you recommend at Peleliu or Takao? Bombard or stooge around hoping for shipping?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/10/2012 11:59:19 PM   
BBfanboy

Just sail into the ports on a surface combat mission and you will find TFs there to hit. There is a lot of Japanese shipping to be loaded in the first few days to get all these invasions going. You can set your force to remain on station or to retire [change their home port to a small port if you want to go in a different direction from the expected]. I have never had much luck with hitting disbanded shipping effectively with just a cruiser/DD force able to bombard.
I think Takao likely has some mines but I don't think Peleliu or Babeldaob have any. If you can recon the latter two ports to see which has the most shipping it would help, or maybe you could use waypoints to hit 'em both! Be aware you will run short of shells and safe replenishment will be far away!
PS - if you expect your force to be toasted anyway, use full speed to get your attack in [also makes you harder to hit] and then throttle back to mission speed on subsequent turns to save fuel as your try to find severe storms to cover your retreat ...

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 9/11/2012 12:01:38 AM >

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 7
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/11/2012 7:37:18 AM   
LoBaron

Hahaaa! Looking forward to this one! Good luck mate!

Remember, getting your only makes you a better player. Some wise guy said that. And the faster the enemy ships sink, the lower you blood pressure
goes. Some other wise guy said that. So you can only win.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 8
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/11/2012 8:32:14 AM   
obvert

quote:

Just sail into the ports on a surface combat mission and you will find TFs there to hit. There is a lot of Japanese shipping to be loaded in the first few days to get all these invasions going. You can set your force to remain on station or to retire [change their home port to a small port if you want to go in a different direction from the expected].

+1 I would not like this on the IJ side! I would set to race in and retirement allowed, so that hit or not, you race back out avoiding Netties.
quote:

I think Takao likely has some mines but I don't think Peleliu or Babeldaob have any. If you can recon the latter two ports to see which has the most shipping it would help, or maybe you could use waypoints to hit 'em both! Be aware you will run short of shells and safe replenishment will be far away!
PS - if you expect your force to be toasted anyway, use full speed to get your attack in [also makes you harder to hit] and then throttle back to mission speed on subsequent turns to save fuel as your try to find severe storms to cover your retreat ...

Babs and the LOC between the HI and that port will have a lot going on usually. CR hit it hard against Chez da Jez and threw off his entire strategy, putting him on the back foot for good. Most IJ players would have SCTF there if they read that report though, so you may not get as lucky.

Looking forward to this one!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/11/2012 3:30:49 PM   
AW1Steve

I've been informed That I'm not being allowed to disband TF's , so I have to assume that everything in a TF at PH or Singapore is doomed. Andre has generously said force Z may move, but only towards Java. My feelings are that if he won't let ME drive my ships , I shouldn't LET HIM drive my ships. So force Z, along with everything I have on the board, is totally "Hand's off" for the 1st turn. From what I can tell , his theory is Japan gets the extra stuff from scenario 2, and the Allies are totally bound by history while the Japanese are not. Sounds like an absolute JFB's wet dream.

Andre is very agressive , especially in trying to accumulate ship kills. (I'd actually call him Greedy). I have to assume that everything that floats in the PI , at the end of turn one won't. I expect (barring Devine intervention..like poor weather) to Lose Force Z. I expect him to maul PH, then since he knows where my CV's are , to hunt them down. (He has said "trust me, I won't screw you", but I feel a little like Charlie Brown with Lucy holding the football) . BTW , Andre plays hardball in China. And he's told me he intends to. Any time I've tried the "Slow retreat" option , he's massacred by infantry when they are in the open with armor units. So I guess it will be "stand in place and die" in China.

So assuming 1) everything in PH gets trashed, 2) I lose everything in the PI 3) I lose force Z. What can I do? I'll have Boise, Marblehead, Houston and a few 4-piper DDs'. I'll have the Saratoga group on the west coast. I'll have a few scattered Dutch and Brit Cl's and DD's. It's been suggested that I do "hit and run" raids on Pelilu and Takeo.I expect to lose most of my subs in Mainila.

Any other ideas? Right now I feel like the main thing I can do is curl up in a ball and enjoy the rape.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 10
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/11/2012 6:05:14 PM   
BBfanboy

Man, he's got one of your hands tied behind your back and both feet tied together, but you can still hop to it!

Firstly, he will not be able to sink/cripple everything. There will always be some lucky survivors who can try to bite back on turn 2.

Secondly, although I would not replace any leaders on ships that might be destroyed on turn 1, before the survivors leave port on turn 2 give them the best captains you can find. Some of the Manila subs have poor commanders but their torps work [S-boats] and also the Dutch boats, some of which are at sea on turn 1. If Houston and Boise + DDs can be in a friendly base at the beginning of turn 2 you can look at their commanders too.

Most of his search will likely be directed to the south or southwest of Manila. Several players have managed to sneak forces around the north side because all the Formosa/South China aircraft are set to land attack/airfield attack.

There are no guarantees in any of these ideas, but when you expect to lose the ships, you can try anything to find a weak spot. Even with all his starting advantages he cannot cover ever eventuality everywhere. Good luck!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 11
RE: Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB - 9/13/2012 2:28:19 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Man, he's got one of your hands tied behind your back and both feet tied together, but you can still hop to it!

Firstly, he will not be able to sink/cripple everything. There will always be some lucky survivors who can try to bite back on turn 2.

Secondly, although I would not replace any leaders on ships that might be destroyed on turn 1, before the survivors leave port on turn 2 give them the best captains you can find. Some of the Manila subs have poor commanders but their torps work [S-boats] and also the Dutch boats, some of which are at sea on turn 1. If Houston and Boise + DDs can be in a friendly base at the beginning of turn 2 you can look at their commanders too.

Most of his search will likely be directed to the south or southwest of Manila. Several players have managed to sneak forces around the north side because all the Formosa/South China aircraft are set to land attack/airfield attack.

There are no guarantees in any of these ideas, but when you expect to lose the ships, you can try anything to find a weak spot. Even with all his starting advantages he cannot cover ever eventuality everywhere. Good luck!

Wow. You really think I'm that screwed? I've got to admit , you didn't exactly fill me with inspiration! But I definately appreciate the suggestions.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Operation Col. Saunders! FRY the CB! AW1Steve. Vs. CB Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI