Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ships getting severely damaged in port for no reason?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Ships getting severely damaged in port for no reason? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ships getting severely damaged in port for no reason? - 9/17/2012 1:34:21 PM   
mikkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm
quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron
New exe, eh? Nice color coding Michael!
The GREEN colored (ammo) indicates that the port (without any tenders, etc) can reload the device. Kept having to look back at notes to see if the ship could rearm.
nice feature, thanks Michael

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 61
RE: Ships getting severely damaged in port for no reason? - 9/18/2012 3:03:10 AM   
Liebestod

the issue with texting is that your eyes look downwards and your hands are busy. That is the problem. It's perfectly normal and fine to drive while talking so there's nothing wrong with hands free devices. The brain is always performing more than one task at once.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 62
RE: Ships getting severely damaged in port for no reason? - 8/12/2013 12:09:40 PM   
spence

quote:

Same thing happened to me a while back but with a couple of BBs

IRL the Mutsu suffered a catastrophic casualty while in port which caused it to sink. IIRC it was while reloading ammunition.
Hyuga had an explosion in a gun turret which necessitated flooding the after magazines. It didn't put the ship out of action for too long but it apparently was a near run thing for the ship's survival.

Also IIRC the number one cause of BB sinkings throughout history and across all national boundaries was accidental explosions of either the boilers or the magazines (rather than any particular form of enemy attack).

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 63
RE: Ships getting severely damaged in port for no reason? - 8/12/2013 6:11:44 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

So, is the consensus that the reason this happens is not because the devices were destroyed in the attack but were damaged, and like insurance companies do to cars, "total" them even though they have some degree of function, then when they're removed the display shows them as destroyed?

I was once rear ended by some moron at 20 mph (which can kill people) because he had to talk on his cellphone while driving. He did not even touch his brakes. The car (an Accord) was "totalled" by the insurance company and some time later a car dealer in Oklahoma called up because they were now in possession of it and couldn't find anything wrong with it, and were incredulous as to why it was "totalled". When you get down to brass tacks the insurance company screwed the owner (and driver) of the car in order to repair it to "like new" quality, sell it and pocket the profits. He was unable to buy a car anywhere near the quality of the one his insurance called "totalled" for the money they paid him.

I really brought this up for anyone who might read this who thinks you can talk on a phone or text and drive at the same time. No one can, not even Bill Clinton. You can do one or the other properly but not both at the same time. People who answer or call on a phone while driving will always give top priority to that activity, and many die as a result. Natural selection, I guess. But how is it natural selection in the case of the people they kill? I should stress that no-hands phone systems are exactly no different. The hands are not the issue. Your focus and attention is. I often refuse to even converse with my passengers when I'm driving. It's just too dangerous (and careless I might add).

How's that for veering off topic?

I still want reaction to the beginning of this post.

Veering OT, and I apologize for it; but I have to respond to my esteemed Gorn about "totaling" of cars.

I grew up in a Body Shop, so I have some knowledge.

Insurance companies sign contracts with Dismantling Yards {or whatever name they are using lately} for the yard to buy anything the insurance company "totals". This is based on a percentage of the car's value {usually was in the 30-40% range}.

When the cost of repair exceeds the value of the car minus what they get from the wrecking yard, the insurance company will total the car. When they go over this amount, they are actually "loosing" money if an insurance company can ever be said to be "loosing" money.

Enter the era of Air Bags. My father owned a Body Shop. His cost for a driver airbag replacement was $1500 in 1994. $2000 for a passenger side air bag. This is wholesale price for the unit without retail markup or labor. Add this into the cost of repairs and it makes it easy to "total" a car without having excessive damage.

The car goes to the wrecking yard and is sold as a rebuilder. Someone comes along, buys it, repairs it and sells it. This person isn't worried about labor costs as he's doing the labor.

It will have a "Salvage" title on it's paperwork and will be considered "salvaged junk". I think the pink slip in California actually read "Salvaged Junk" before the 80s. Depending on who does the repairs, it could be just as safe as any brand new vehicle {possibly safer than some} or deathtrap waiting for another accident to happen.

I have no love for insurance companies in general and auto insurance carriers in particular. But they are not making any money off "totaled" cars. The insurance company is only liable for the replacement value of the car. And this is based on what a similar car sells for in the region that the car owner lives.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 64
RE: Ships getting severely damaged in port for no reason? - 8/12/2013 6:31:04 PM   
czert2

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Ok this is a complete shot into the blue, but isn't sys damage added when destroyed devices are replaced? If so you should see the devices repaired when the sys damage adds up.

well, what is logick behind that ? isnt destroyed/damaged device allredy represented in overal sys damage ?

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 65
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Ships getting severely damaged in port for no reason? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI