Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Its Happening

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Its Happening Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Its Happening - 9/6/2012 5:47:14 AM   
JeanAllTrekkie

Im really psyched. I got my prediction right on the mark (not to sound full of myself). More and more Developers are making strategy boardgames for iPad.

One of the first was Matrix / Slitherine. Next was Battlefront... now were getting:

- Battle of The Bulge (from Shenandoah Studios)

- Hearts of Iron (The Mobile Game) (From Paradox Interactive)

- Civil War 1863 (From Hunted Cow Studios)

and many more.

What are you guys most excited for?

Me I cant wait for Hearts of Iron!

< Message edited by JeanAllTrekkie -- 9/6/2012 5:49:13 AM >

Learn about the best Strategy Wargames visit:

www.strategywargamer.com
Post #: 1
RE: Its Happening - 9/6/2012 8:58:58 AM   
doomtrader

None of those, as I have got Android device.
Anyway looking at the HoI interface it seems to be even more dumbed down. I'm not saying the game will be bad, but I'm afraid it will need a lot of patching as it seems to be made on the HoI2 engine.

(in reply to JeanAllTrekkie)
Post #: 2
RE: Its Happening - 9/6/2012 3:22:07 PM   
Josh

War games for an iPad? That's a big no no for me, maybe a casual side scroller like Limbo (check it out on Steam) would be fun, heck maybe even a beer and pretzel wargame like Panzer Corps. But *not* something like HoI... at least for me that is. 24-27 inch or bigger is the screen I use/need for my wargames, oh and a mouse too  

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 3
RE: Its Happening - 9/6/2012 5:27:27 PM   
vonRocko

Do you really think these games are going to be any good? The games will be 'lite' and lacking any depth. I said it before and I'll say it again, this is ruining our hobby. Dumb down the games for the new generation of 'dumbed down' customers.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 4
RE: Its Happening - 9/6/2012 6:43:54 PM   
Scott Parrino

I think the opposite, making wargames accessible to those with portable devices is a great way to get them started towards the hobby itself. 'Lite' versions may not appeal to those who are used to the full versions of the parent games, but if the developers can pull off a full version (such as our Battle Academy) and done well, it works out well. Some games may be too complicated for the iPad/Tablets for sure, but lets not worry that it'll ruin the hobby, strategy games will always be primarily associated with board/PC.

Scott Parrino
Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook!

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 5
RE: Its Happening - 9/6/2012 10:18:05 PM   
Lützow

I wonder how many of you who disapprove the current trend of porting games to tablets actually owns an iPad. If so I could disperse your concerns by directing you to some really fine old-school-style titles which never will make it to PC, because they're considered too hardcore for the mainstream crowd.

Post #: 6
RE: Its Happening - 9/6/2012 11:31:55 PM   
Joe 98

A wargame is best played around a table with human opponents.

The next best is on a PC with a large screen so you can get a lot of real estate on the screen.

If you are travelling, a PC is not possible so a portable device will have to do.

I have a Samsung 10" Netbook. I have installed Combat Command Matrix Edition. Great netbook! Great game!

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 7
RE: Its Happening - 9/6/2012 11:47:28 PM   
british exil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

A wargame is best played around a table with human opponents.

The next best is on a PC with a large screen so you can get a lot of real estate on the screen.

If you are travelling, a PC is not possible so a portable device will have to do.

I have a Samsung 10" Netbook. I have installed Combat Command Matrix Edition. Great netbook! Great game!

I think when the first games appeared on the pc scene, the board game players would have thought similar to those who feel the tablet is not the right platform for such a game.

I'm only too glad that I can play on a pc, none of my friends play the strategy games, either on pc or as board game. So who can I play with? PC's have made it possible for me to enjoy such games, as I can play either against the AI or PBEM.

We have an IPad at home, mostly used by my GF as I prefer a desktop and a bit larger screen.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 8
RE: Its Happening - 9/7/2012 4:20:51 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Somewhat analagous to consoles don't you think ?

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 9
RE: Its Happening - 9/7/2012 5:08:52 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

I wonder how many of you who disapprove the current trend of porting games to tablets actually owns an iPad.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 10
RE: Its Happening - 9/7/2012 8:53:14 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Wargames on portable devices may just mean that we see wargames on the PC in the future.

If companies can keep themselves financially afloat making portable games or use them to supplement their income. That may just mean that their companies stick around to keep providing computer games as well.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 11
RE: Its Happening - 9/7/2012 9:23:14 AM   
doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Wargames on portable devices may just mean that we see wargames on the PC in the future.

If companies can keep themselves financially afloat making portable games or use them to supplement their income. That may just mean that their companies stick around to keep providing computer games as well.

+1

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 12
RE: Its Happening - 9/8/2012 4:15:56 AM   
michael1776

I guess I just don't understand why war-gaming on a tablet is such a bad thing. I have a number of war-games for my Ipad, and some of them are surprisingly good, and deep. I don't always have the time to devote to a game like WITP. Sometimes, after a 14 hour work day, playing a tablet game is as good as it gets. Also, it's far easier to bring a tablet along when you travel. Not only is it easier to use on long flights,;I can also read books and watch movies - which I never seem to do. The thing is very good at simulating board games in particular.

Tablets are successful not because society is becoming progressively more idiotic...I think we can all agree that is the case. I think it has more to do with the fact that the pace of life today is so fast that finding the time to dive into an epic style game is difficult. I fought the purchase of an Ipad for years. I finally broke down and got one to replace my old, and hefty, Franklin Planner. Best thing I ever did.

MJ

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 13
RE: Its Happening - 9/8/2012 12:00:16 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeanAllTrekkie
Me I cant wait for Hearts of Iron!

I can. Indefinitely.

Aside from that, though, nothing against wargames or indeed any games on tablets, but it's just not a format I like playing games on very much. Same with PDA/smartphone or netbook, come to that. I'd rather just read a good book on the Kindle.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Its Happening Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote