Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Seeking Solid Pacific War Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Seeking Solid Pacific War Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/5/2012 7:01:19 PM   
ChadS

Hello,

I'm wondering if some veteran's of War in the Pacific: AE would be willing to share the pros and cons of the game with me? I'm a fan of Mark Herman's board game Pacific War, and I'm looking for a good computer game to supplement my desire to play when I don't have an opponent to play against.

I've seen some videos on YouTube that indicate that this game has a pretty steep learning curve, and I'm not intimidated by that. But, I'd be curious if there are things that are just plain wrong in the game (from a play perspective, not a historical one), and what some of the plusses are.

As a point of reference, I've been playing Hearts of Iron 3, which does a great job on the Europe Theater, but is lacking in the Pacific.

Thank you!

Chad S.
Post #: 1
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/5/2012 7:35:24 PM   
TheLoneGunman

I'd take a look at many of the AARs as well as the house rules that most players tend to use.

The game is deep, deep as in you are in control of every single ship from the largest battleship or aircraft carrier down to the lowliest of merchant trawlers. Playing a human opponent till 1945 can easily take 3-4 years of your life to accomplish if you play 1 day turns.

Where it is lacking, the UI is clunky, but much improved since the latest patches. Running the Japanese economy all but requires 3rd party software to do so properly and effectively (you'll want Tracker), since you are personally responsible for shipping supplies, resources, oil, and fuel throught the Empire and ensuring that your bases containing industry have enough of these to continue working.

Ground combat takes a backseat to naval combat in this game. Recent mods have gone a long way towards balancing the ground combat model, so there are now stacking limit options and the like. Without house rules to prevent border crossing by restricted HQ units, it is possible for the Allies or the Japanese to flood India/China with a huge number of additional garrison troops.

Strategic bombing is considerably powerful, and without proper preparation, a game with no restrictions on its use can be downright deadly to either side, with the Japanese able to eliminate Chinese supply-producing industry in the opening months of the game and the Allies able to pound the oil refineries in the Dutch East Indies with heavy bombers once the Japanese capture them.

The game's Political Points system is also a bit messy since it generates political points for each side in equal numbers as long as you meet all of your base garrison requirements and withdraw all of your units on time. This means there is no actual political pressure for you to protect certain objectives that historically were very important. Instead, these areas simply offer a decent sum of victory points if captured, but nothing truly tangible. This changes the objectives of the game from those that happened in reality. So you may see the entire US Army fighting in India while the Brits take a tea break.

Suffice to say, if you do bite the bullet and buy the game, you will spend A LOT of time playing it. A LOT.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 2
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/5/2012 8:27:49 PM   
crsutton

Actually, the game is much better vs a human opponent via email. Just look for someone who can play at your pace. And then be prepared to give up the next five years of your life to the best game out there.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to TheLoneGunman)
Post #: 3
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/6/2012 12:35:10 AM   
ChadS

Thanks to both of you!

How does it play as PBEM? Is it still basically IGOUGO? I've played A World At War via email, but there was so much back and forth, 3 weeks and 87 emails later, we were on turn 2 (of about 22).

Thanks,
ChadS

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/6/2012 12:36:33 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChadS

Thanks to both of you!

How does it play as PBEM? Is it still basically IGOUGO? I've played A World At War via email, but there was so much back and forth, 3 weeks and 87 emails later, we were on turn 2 (of about 22).

Thanks,
ChadS

Hi Chad,

This game is a WEGO format. Makes for much better gameplay, IMO.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 5
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/6/2012 2:42:06 AM   
PaxMondo

WEGO with a touch of IGOUGO.  The allies get a bit of free intel ... not that they need any.  Anyway, the IJ enter his moves first, then the allies enter their moves, then the turn resolves. 99% WEGO.

Pax

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/6/2012 3:37:23 AM   
zuluhour

I started my first PBEM on August 13th or so in 2011, I have not touched another game since. There are so many levels of detail you can't help but keep peeling them back. I like to track individual pilots and squadrons and look up their unit histories same with ships when I'm pacing, I mean waiting for a turn. I've become familiar with many commanders as well that I would never have learned their stories as I can't help but dig into the library to learn more about them. I was chugging along playing with myself (no wise cracks) and reading AARs when I saw alot of people here reading Shattered Sword. I bought a copy and decided I needed the human element. I was extremely lucky to have gotten Terry, but there are alot of very capable and great folks in this digital playpen to sail against.

ps. Make sure your marrige is on a strong footing and your job is secure.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 7
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/6/2012 6:49:50 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

Hello,

I'm wondering if some veteran's of War in the Pacific: AE would be willing to share the pros and cons of the game with me? I'm a fan of Mark Herman's board game Pacific War, and I'm looking for a good computer game to supplement my desire to play when I don't have an opponent to play against.

I've seen some videos on YouTube that indicate that this game has a pretty steep learning curve, and I'm not intimidated by that. But, I'd be curious if there are things that are just plain wrong in the game (from a play perspective, not a historical one), and what some of the plusses are.

As a point of reference, I've been playing Hearts of Iron 3, which does a great job on the Europe Theater, but is lacking in the Pacific.

Thank you!

Chad S.

Welcome to home of lunatics and military historians Chad!

I play HOI 3, latest version, as well, and based on this you can safely assume that the level of detail and complexity of operations is another step up the ladder.
What WitP AE does is, it plays on a logistic/strategic level but contains a load of elements considered tactical, which can be more annoying than interesting at
times, but usually are overwhelmingly great.

I think that you already heard enough praise on the game considering you read through the forums, if you did not I reccommend you do it.

So lets go straight to its weak points, of which I personally consider (contrary to others I kind of like the Political Point system in absence of an equally good alternative)
to be 3:

1) Pilot training: Initially it was intended to be a metagame on its own and should have displayed the differences in training capabilities of Japan vs. Allies, and still
give the Japanese player the tools to work around this shortcome. The result, after a lot of tinkering and criticism, was a system that basically is a LOT (thanks to
MichaelM, our sole remaining programmer a lot less) of tedious work with the benefit that both sides more or less get equally strong pilots for combat ops.
It transcendents into so many airwar related aspects of the game that you cannot simply dump it, you have to live with it.

2) GUI: The interface of this game dates back to PacWar and Uncommon Valor, which are - even for strategy games - vintage. It was improved as much as possible
over the years, but do not expect wonders. This game will be a klickfest sometimes that you start thinking HOI3 is the simplest practical user friendly game ever invented.
No drag&drop, no shift-click, no frame-select, nothing. Just buttons, switches, and sometimes clickable text. You learn to live with it.

3) Tactical (and I put emphasis on tactical) force concentration: There is an upper scale limit to what numbers the game engine can handle in a single hex without the
results becoming erratic, unreliable, and to many players, unrealistic. If you mass 40 task forces, 1500 planes, or 600000 troops in a hex with 40nm sidelenght, you get "issues".

Why do I put emphasis on tactical and put "issues" into apostrophe?

Because sometimes force concentration (a neccessity of war) is used as a major point to criticise this shortcome in a much exaggerated manner, ignoring the fact you can achieve force
concentration on a strategic level without a neccessity to do the same to the extreme on a tactical scale (sp. throwing everything into a single hex). This applies as much for offense as
for defense operations. Sometimes it is simply better to spread out a bit.

Still, the point is valid that - since you can concentrate this number of units (I found the HOI 3 solution quite ingenuitive there btw.) - this should not result in problems for
the game engine. There are mods working against this (one of the greatest is a map with stacking limits), but this only eliminates the issue for land warfare, and not for air
(more obvious) and naval (a bit less obvious) warfare.
If you play the AI first you wont notice, in PBEM it can happen to be a problem, but one that is possible to avoid, and in most instances it only starts to appear mid-late war under specific
circumstances (like concentrating the whole war on a tiny area with every unit you can muster).

I second zuluhour in suggesting you test if your wife can handle another true love and your job smeared documents covered with TF plots, invasion plans and lists of ground
units ready for deployment...

Have fun!!

< Message edited by LoBaron -- 9/6/2012 7:10:19 AM >

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 8
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/6/2012 9:56:19 PM   
ChadS

Wow, great comments, guys! Thanks!

One last follow up question...how easy is it for a newb to find an opponent? At the price, I can't afford to buy it for both me and my brother (I do that periodically). We can probably hot-seat, as he's only a few miles away, but we have conflicting schedules.

Looking forward to seeing what it's like!

Chad S

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 9
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/6/2012 10:08:48 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

how easy is it for a newb to find an opponent?

It doesn't seem too difficult, from what I can tell. However, there are lots of instances of newbs dropping games after a few weeks or months time. It's an issue for such a large-scale game as this. As a result, you may notice some reticence amongst some 'old timers' to engage you in a game that may take 3-5 years to play to conclusion if you don't have a track record on the forum.

My recommendation would be to tout your other PBEM experiences (e.g., in UV or original WiTP) as a way to burnish your image as a prospective opponent. Finding the right opponent is like looking for a job with a new resume!

Good luck!

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 10
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/7/2012 7:30:12 AM   
CaptDave

I think there are plenty of players who would be willing to go up against a newbie. Just be upfront about your status and you'll find opponents of similar caliber.

For example, I've played for years, but still don't consider myself a good military planner (I do well with subs and logistics, but not the combat side of things -- yet), so I'm not about to go up against one of the top names (yet). Even if I were better at it, I haven't played the Japanese side so I'd be looking for a "less elite" opponent if I were the Japanese player.

(Don't get your hopes up where I'm concerned; I can only manage one game at a time and I'm already in one.)

As I suggested in another thread, I think there is also a large number of players who are reluctant to advertise for a game because they can't commit to daily or more frequent turns, as so many of the Opponents Wanted threads seem to require. If you're in this situation, and you say so up front in your opponent request, I'd bet you'd find a taker before long (especially if you want to play the Japanese, as there's a shortage of people interested in that side).

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/7/2012 10:06:50 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

At the price, I can't afford to buy it for both me and my brother (I do that periodically). We can probably hot-seat, as he's only a few miles away, but we have conflicting schedules.

Let me just say that this game (and its predecessors) have delivered the by far best bang per buck for a game since I can remember. And this
comes from a guy who close to never plays short lived play-through and dump games but focuses on replayability and longevity when
chosing what to buy. I always have times where RL interferes with my gaming, and the game I always return first to is WITP AE, without
even thinking twice.

The price is above average, given, but you can expect to play for an extremely long time, and with multiplayer and mods the replayability
perspective is nearly unlimited.
So don't view the price from a conventional game PoV, it might be well worth to invest into two games. Suggest you buy a copy and then decide.
Depending on you ability to spend time you can expect grand campaign durations of 1-3 or even 4 years.

There are great smaller scenarios as well which introduce you to game mechanics, and are also an interesting way to get to know your
potential opponent should you decide to search for one. Shorter, less demanding, and the dropout rate is much lower.

As a reference I started my recent PBEM GC 30 Months ago, the guys I play with/against I now see as friends. It is now spring 44 and
I expect the game to still last another year after which there its time for a rematch.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 12
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/10/2012 2:26:31 AM   
Mac Linehan

ChadS -

Excellent discussion on AE by very experienced players who know of what they speak.

I play weekends only - a campaign game, so it moves slowly. However, as a detailed kind of guy, I am completely addicted and love every minute of it. AE is, as stated, a very deep, complex game - but immensely rewarding.

As for being a newbie - you have seen the immediate and informative responses to your query. These Gents (and Lady!) are always available to help answer any questions you might have. In addition to the AAR's (a gold mine of information!) there are several guides that are of use to even the most seasoned player.

HOI3 is good - considered to be complex and a lot of fun to play. If you feel that you are ready to take the Next Step in Manliness, AE is for you.

I do hope that you will join us.

"Once in, Never Out" (well - almost always... <grin>)

Sincerely Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 9/10/2012 2:28:19 AM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 13
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/17/2012 9:55:46 PM   
ChadS

Reviving this post from last week--I still haven't "pulled the trigger" on AE. Every time I start to, I read another post that intimidates me a little (this one on reparing battleship guns ).

Mac L's last post almost got me to complete the purchase transaction, but then I started thinking on the things I don't like about HoI3, and I started wondering if I'm just stepping into another version of the same problems. Here's some of what I don't like about HoI3 (feel free to compare/contrast for me--that's kind of what I'm looking for).

In HoI, if I have units that are out of supply, it can be very difficult to identify how to get supply to them. It isn't as easy as saying, "send them supplies."

I don't like how units don't necessarily go where I want them to when I allow the AI to take control of groups (I'm not even sure if AE has the ability to delegate work to the AI).

I don't like in that game how I need (or at least, appear to need) an understanding of the Command and Control structure of the nation I'm playing. Things can be divided into theatres, groups, armies, corps, etc., and I get to assign each one individually. I'd almost prefer something more like a standard board game, where I get a new counter, I put it whereever is prescribed, then I can start moving it to where I want it to meet my needs--no need to trace it back through Division/Corps/Army/Group.

Some of these problems I have with that other game may be handled a bit easier if I were able to run a second app to help me track some of what I'm doing. Unfortunately, it only runs in Full Screen mode for me, so, short of setting up a spot for my laptop, I'm out of luck there.

Thanks again for the dialog. I'm edging ever closer to making the decision!

Chad S

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 14
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/17/2012 10:19:06 PM   
witpqs

What you are not reading are the posts people don't make about the 99.999% of the time that battleship guns have repaired uneventfully.

Regarding the other games you mentioned, I don't know them.

Regarding command structure, there is some in terms of HQ effects and limitations and PP (Political Point) spending to change command to other areas.

Regarding windowed mode, yes, at basically any (reasonable) resolution. Obviously your hardware might influence that, but windowed mode per se is definite. Many of us run at least one other program along with AE.

Good luck.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 15
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/17/2012 10:27:53 PM   
pws1225

And to respond to your original post, go ahead and pull the trigger and get the game. I did in 2009 and haven't been tempted to return to an older game or a newer one for that matter. You won't regret the decision, although your wife might!

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 16
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/17/2012 11:58:47 PM   
temagic

quote:

Reviving this post from last week--I still haven't "pulled the trigger" on AE. Every time I start to, I read another post that intimidates me a little (this one on reparing battleship guns ).

Mac L's last post almost got me to complete the purchase transaction, but then I started thinking on the things I don't like about HoI3, and I started wondering if I'm just stepping into another version of the same problems. Here's some of what I don't like about HoI3 (feel free to compare/contrast for me--that's kind of what I'm looking for).

In HoI, if I have units that are out of supply, it can be very difficult to identify how to get supply to them. It isn't as easy as saying, "send them supplies."

I don't like how units don't necessarily go where I want them to when I allow the AI to take control of groups (I'm not even sure if AE has the ability to delegate work to the AI).

I don't like in that game how I need (or at least, appear to need) an understanding of the Command and Control structure of the nation I'm playing. Things can be divided into theatres, groups, armies, corps, etc., and I get to assign each one individually. I'd almost prefer something more like a standard board game, where I get a new counter, I put it whereever is prescribed, then I can start moving it to where I want it to meet my needs--no need to trace it back through Division/Corps/Army/Group.

Some of these problems I have with that other game may be handled a bit easier if I were able to run a second app to help me track some of what I'm doing. Unfortunately, it only runs in Full Screen mode for me, so, short of setting up a spot for my laptop, I'm out of luck there.

Thanks again for the dialog. I'm edging ever closer to making the decision!

Chad S

Thought I'd reply to you, seeing you're a HOI player and I've got experience with those games too...

In AE, if you got a unit that's out of supplies, you can easily identify the unit as being out of supplies. For re-supply, you might have to 1. locate a base with enough supply. 2. Gather the ships necessaery (merchant ships and escorts, and send them to base with supplies. 3. Send the convoy to the nearest base for the out-of-supply unit. When compared with HOI, this game is more in-depth, and advanced. You'll be writing notes, using excel spreadsheets, notepad, third party software (tracker) just to get the basics going... Then you'll improve, both IQ, organizing skills as well as your love for this game. I'm telling you, HOI is a very, very good game, where I prefer HOI2 (Darkest Hour) to the third one, while AE is not a game, it's a career.

In AE, no AI control of units, just forget about it. You can use AI to control convoys and submarines, that's it, and neither is recommended...

Command and Control structure is military only. No parties or ministers to worry about... However, military structure is all the way from Army Theater, down to regiment or batallion level. Naval wise its fleet commander down to individual ship/boat captain... YOU'LL LOVE IT! :)

Just remember, HOI3 is childsplay when compared with AE. This game is for grognards. HOI3 can be played in a day or two... AE will take you (multiplayer) years to finish. Singleplayermode, most likely a year or two as well... Yes, real life, a year or two for a full campaign... As I said, this is NOT A GAME, ITS A CAREER.

edit: Forgot to add: Be optimistic. The learning curve is steep, but you'll both be up and running after a day or two... The game is awesome, difficult, complex, advanced and requires some committment. However, its too good. Its the best. Like I said, HOI3 is childsplay. This is war! If your memory is ok and your IQ is average and you've got a sense of military matter, then this game is playable and ejoyable without too much headache at start. Once the headache subsides, you and your brother has got a game that will give the two of you fun for years to come...

< Message edited by temagic -- 9/18/2012 12:10:30 AM >

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 17
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/18/2012 12:24:37 AM   
Bobdina1

I've had the game about 6 months now and like you it took me some time to pull the trigger based on price and how complicated everything seemed. I am very happy with my decision and play for at least 2 hours a day(sometimes a lot more). I don't use tracker or anything else just a notepad and pen (just playing AI). I used the search function here and have not had to ask a question yet because of all the knowledge that's on these forums and that makes everything much less daunting. Good luck either way.

(in reply to temagic)
Post #: 18
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/18/2012 1:00:00 AM   
Kull

quote:

I don't like how units don't necessarily go where I want them to when I allow the AI to take control of groups (I'm not even sure if AE has the ability to delegate work to the AI). Thanks again for the dialog. I'm edging ever closer to making the decision!

The game does have a number of features that you can use to automate big chunks of what's going on. It can be timeconsuming to set it up, but once complete you can pretty much forget about it and move on to other things:

1) Submarine Patrols: Just a massive improvement over earlier versions of the game. Setup a patrol zone for each individual sub (the time consuming part) and then send them off and forget about it. The subs will even come home to refuel and replensih ammunition, and then return to their patrol zones. The only time you have to get involved is if the sub has so much damage that it just cancels the patrol and disbands in the home port. But even here, just get 'em repaired and send 'em out again. Easy as cake. This is NOT the same as the "automated subs" function in which the AI runs all your submarine ops. Don't use that. Just don't.

2) Search Planes: Figure out all the zones you want covered by Air search or ASW (two different things), set up your planes to carry it out, and then walk away.

3) ASW Patrols (Naval): Get a small group of ships with Depth Charge capability, give them patrol zones near your ports, straits, or any area where you're concerned subs will frequently lurk, and then just like Sub Patrols, walk away and they'll do everything without any need for you to interfere.

4) CS Convoys: The idea is to figure out your supply, fuel, resource, and oil needs, and then setup specialized convoys to shuttle back and forth between the source and the destination. The CS convoy is the automated way to do this, and is another huge time saver and well worth the effort to setup, as again you don't have to pay any attention and can just let the system run. This is different from the AI-operated "automated supply", which in general is not a good idea.

Bottom line, there's a lot of things you can do which are timeconsuming at the outset, but which take a big burden off your shoulders, freeing you to focus on the "fun stuff". That said, this is still one heck of a complicated game. It's just there ARE things you can do to make it a tad less tedious.

< Message edited by Kull -- 9/18/2012 1:05:11 AM >

AE-Japan Setup

AE-Allied Setup

Japan Air-Engine Plan

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 19
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/19/2012 2:06:21 AM   
sanch

If you have been in a board-game store, and found yourself drooling over the monster games (War in Flames, for example), then AE is for you!

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 20
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/19/2012 2:56:01 AM   
ChadS

:) I'm actually looking to unload my copy of World In Flames... :)

I have several "monsters," including A World At War, Pacific War, Next War: Korea, Pax Britannica, and WiF Final Edition Deluxe (for sale...)

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 21
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/19/2012 3:06:15 AM   
Lokasenna

Then clearly you should take the plunge!

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 22
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/19/2012 6:39:03 AM   
BBfanboy

+1 to what temagic said. The game has layers of detail so you can start shallow and just get it going and have fun. Over time you add all the tricks of the trade you learn from the forum about how to use the myriad of controls and options to control units and then execute an overall strategic plan. The small scenarios are great for learning how-to.
The AI opponent give you a feel for risk taking or avoidance situations. When you are sure enough of your grasp of the game, take on a human opponent and test yourself to the limit.

I have not yet begun to fight! OTOH I have not yet begun to flee. Hmmmmm - choices, choices -always with the choices.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 23
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/20/2012 7:21:06 PM   
ChadS

Trigger pulled. Thanks to all for comments! I look forward to having you each explain to me every last nuance of the game!

Best to all!

Chad S.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 24
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/21/2012 5:55:59 AM   
JocMeister

ChadS

Congratulations! I´m sure you won´t be disappointed. They game certainly have some quirks I don´t like but I have played this game for the last six years so the quirks are certainly outweighed by the positives! About the command structure you really don´t need to bother with it. Its impossible to keep a "proper OOB" in the game. The game doesn´t care if a division has its Corps HQ in range as long as you any Corps HQ in range. Only difference you need to know is "restricted and unrestricted".

Don´t get intimidated by the game the first time you start it up. I suggest you begin with one of the smaller scenarios (Coral Sea or Guadacanal)and prepare to start over about 100 times before you get it "right"

Good luck!

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 25
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/21/2012 4:44:42 PM   
pws1225

Welcome aboard.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 26
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/21/2012 4:52:52 PM   
ChadS

Thanks!

Now, if I can just figure out how to get started....

I started a Guadalcanal scenario last night. Guadalcanal is something I know a little bit about, so I thought having some understanding of troop commitments, and how the battle played out might help some. I could use a really solid "walk through" of what to do and when. If there's one out there, I'd be much obliged in knowing where to find it!

Chad S.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 27
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/21/2012 5:19:43 PM   
aphrochine

Not much to add in the way of comments on content and mechanics but I'll add this...

I've been playing war games for over 20 years. I'd consider myself a semi-grog. WitP:AE PBEM with the right opponent is easily the best, most satisfying and rewarding war gaming experience I've ever had.

VMF-422 fanboy
Grog Virgin fanboy

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 28
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/21/2012 11:32:55 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

I could use a really solid "walk through" of what to do and when. If there's one out there, I'd be much obliged in knowing where to find it!

Chad S.

Try this link. Not Guadalcanal but pretty much what you are looking for:

Training Vids

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 29
RE: Seeking Solid Pacific War Game - 9/24/2012 9:36:19 PM   
wga

Although I have two games of WITP-vanilla in progress (vs human and AI), the drawback of the game is it is intensely detailed and a huge consumption of time, limiting other uses of discretinary time, such as staying active in tournament level boardgame play. Player attrition makes any conclusion of a campaign game started unlikely. I have started 8 of the much smaller Uncommon Valor games vs a pool of 5 opponents and only one is still progressing 6 months later now past Oct-42 with several mulligans employed (unintended decisive CV battles due to TF settings). Scenario preferences of opposition tend to be the non-historical with the entire CV fleets of both navies commited to the SWPac for 18mo; IJN has a decisive advantage in numbers and quality of CV fleet. Both WITP/UCV break down if played more than one day/turn as daily resolution still occurs regardless of the number of days per turn (a bad situation becomes a disaster). UCV flaw is it comes down to the CV battle with using ahistorical scenario (CVs dominate the seas and other ships hide off board); but with majority turns of little action, LBA raids of little significance other than training. My guess is WITP, there is much incremental activity all over, but Allies are largely impotent during the first 6 mo. Playing daily turns with an opponent who send a turn every 3-4 days, means 3-4 years to get to the end of 1942.
-
The Pacific War game I most enjoy and continue to play (vs Human opposition) is DOS Pacific War; free matrix download, using Brad Kay's modified campaign. [This deals with issues created during SSI-Matrix conversion.] Weekly turns (clock progresses noticably) with weekly combat phases (2 naval, 2 air, 2 land). Lacks the doctorate level detail of WITP, but can complete an entire campaign in reasonable time (about 6 months of real time). Like most games, its the quality and attitude of the opponent that makes the game worth the effort. I get nothing out of winning/losing by playing A. IJN players who abandon the game if they are not winning decisively or refuse to play the midgame/endgame to see who actually wins when it is no longer 'fun' for the IJN (same problem with professional German and Confederate players]; is the critical decision when starting a new game. AI is a tool to learn how to do something. IMHO, AI is an unimaginitive opponent, who cannot learn, cannot socially interact, demands all your time, and really couldnt care less; why marry such a person?
-
Like any game of this scope, it is a good choice only if you wish to commit to a lifestyle/religion and withdraw from any other competing life pursuits. For the most part you will be playing AI or other like minded individuals.

Bill Thomson
bill@wargameacademy.org
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Seeking Solid Pacific War Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI