Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Colonization tech issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Colonization tech issue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Colonization tech issue - 9/5/2012 2:47:26 AM   
Numdydar

I played a race that starts out on an ocean world so can colonize the same. Imagine my surprise when I wanted to research Ice world colonization and found I still needed to research Ocean colonization tech? Huh? So I have to research the tech I have been using the entire geme?

Why is this not granted at the beginning? Of if you are trying to prevent super tech trading in the early stages, allow it to be 'skipped' once your tech gets to that point in the tree.

I sincerely hope this is fixed in the expansion or patched at some point because why should I have to spend all that time researching something I am using. Are they learning to build beachfront condos or something lol?
Post #: 1
RE: Colonization tech issue - 9/5/2012 3:06:35 AM   
Dracus

every race has that useless research block, I assume it is meant to slow down the player a little so you don't completely chew up all the planets before the AI races.

< Message edited by Dracus -- 9/5/2012 3:14:28 AM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 2
RE: Colonization tech issue - 9/5/2012 3:12:43 AM   
WoodMan

It is intended, not a bug.

You can still get other things from the Ocean tech too. Increase to initial colony population and terraforming.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 3
RE: Colonization tech issue - 9/5/2012 3:34:26 AM   
MartialDoctor

Yes, it's not a bug. But I would agree that it needs changing... it doesn't make any logical sense.

Probably the best way would be for the race to have those colonization techs reduced significantly since, as Woodman pointed out, there are other bonuses as well.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 4
RE: Colonization tech issue - 9/5/2012 7:37:09 AM   
feelotraveller

There are two ways you can colonise a particular planet type.

1)  With a race which is native to that planet type.
2)  By having the tech for colonisation of that planet type.

With the second any race in your empire can colonise that planet type.  With the first only races specific to that type.

For example if you are Ackdarian and you have a Teekan world in your empire a colony ship built at the Teekan world can colonise desert planets but not ocean planets unless you have researched the ocean colonisation tech.

There would also certainly be a big issue if empires had colonisation potential as 'techs' to start.  Buying/stealing them would bypass the entire tree. 

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 5
RE: Colonization tech issue - 9/5/2012 1:08:26 PM   
Nedrear

If you dont mind editing you can increase the research output for ocean colonization and all the others for each race. I did it for my galactic war so that people got their primary living enviroment as a research bonus and quickly jumping it. For example the Commonwealth just waltz through Ocean worlds and the nations with a "lesser degree of comfort" like the Nazis or Russia do it in most of these.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Colonization tech issue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI