You can now read the Galactopedia on iPad

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

jpinard

You can now read the Galactopedia on iPad

Post by jpinard »

I've been wanting to read the Galactopedia in bed as there's a lot of information in there that isn't in the manual and hate sitting at my computer to read. So I finally found a way to get around the fact it's not normal html markeup for off-line/out-of-game viewing. While the installation looks long, this is actually SUPER EASY! [:)] ... just follow each step carefully. Now you won't have the normal cross-linking like you do in the game, instead you'll see each entry as a filename. But it looks fantastic and is easy to read.

Installation:

1. Go to your Distant Worlds installation folder (my custom install is D:\Games\Distant Worlds\ ) then, create a .zip of the help folder within.

2. I have Dropbox installed on my PC and iPad and can sync files between them. Put the Help.zip file (or rename that file to something less generic) into your dropbox folder so it shows up on your iPad.

3. Install a program that can open .mht files. I use ChmPlus.

4. Open Dropbox on your iPad, and click the zipfile you made.

5. You can't normally open a zipfile so it should/may say "unable to view file". After it's done downloading, look in the upper right of your iPad screen. There's a little box with a right-arrow. Click that then select CHM+

6. Click "yes" you'd like to uncompress into current directory.

7. Click the folder that was just made and presto! The entire Galactopedia at your fingertips! I just read the whole thing from top to bottom like a book. Since Elliot made all the names properly, everything is very easy to find.

---------------------------

Normal Launch!

1. Launch CHM+ and the Galactopedia is right there!

jpinard

RE: You can now read the Galactopedia on iPad

Post by jpinard »

Thought I'd post some screenshots so you can all see what it looks like on the iPad3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

jpinard

Post by jpinard »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kobracan

Post by Kobracan »

This is an old thread but this was exactly what I was looking for so I wanted to say thanks.

This step didn't work for me though:

6. Click "yes" you'd like to uncompress into current directory.

CHM+ (Free) fails to decompress my ZIP file so I have to decompress using ZIPBrowser first. Otherwise, it worked great.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”