Map Editor quickie - Move Enemy starting system

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

jpinard

Map Editor quickie - Move Enemy starting system

Post by jpinard »

Since the game does a terrible job of putting all races far equidistant from each and far apart, I'd like to just move a system to antoher area of the map. How do I do this?

If I can't do this, what's another way I could accomplish moving one race into a distant corner of the galaxy map?

Thanks again for all your help :)
ehsumrell1

RE: Map Editor quickie - Move Enemy starting system

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: jpinard

Since the game does a terrible job of putting all races far equidistant from each and far apart, I'd like to just move a system to antoher area of the map. How do I do this?

If I can't do this, what's another way I could accomplish moving one race into a distant corner of the galaxy map?

Thanks again for all your help :)
Hello JP;

Using the Map Editor at the onset of the game here's what I'd do.

1. Take note of the Race to be moved stats. How many ships they have, amount of credits, what research
level settings, etc. Also, the makeup of their system, number of planets, their resources and amounts, etc.

2. Remove (Delete) the race using the editor.

3. Navigate on the map to where you want the race system to be.

4. Recreate the solar system and planets at that spot. Update with the stats you recorded from step 1.

5. Add the race back into the game with the editor using the recorded stats from step 1.

6. Save and exit the editor and begin the game and it should work fine.
Hope this helps! [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
jpinard

RE: Map Editor quickie - Move Enemy starting system

Post by jpinard »

OK, so it's quite a labor intensive process then. I'd thought about trying that but with sooo many ships it looked like it would take a really long time. I was hoping there was a cut/paste feature, or there was some way when you added a new race it would by default add all the stuff a starting race needed.

Thanks a ton for letting me know I wasn't missing a more simple way to do this. I really appreciate your help!

Return to “Design and Modding”