Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet Rail Repair

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet Rail Repair Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet Rail Repair - 9/2/2012 10:15:05 PM   
hfarrish

The vagaries of the behavior of RR Construction Brigades are amazing. That is all.
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/3/2012 12:07:04 AM   
gingerbread

I can't wait to see a screen of the turn that inspired this thread.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/3/2012 12:29:49 AM   
hfarrish

I'd love to post that but at this point I've fixed the problem by creating 50 additional RR brigades and stuffing them in fronts. Even then they all seem to go dilly dally on spur lines rather than fixing the actual lines that would be useful...so now I have a million men tied up in RR brigades fixing useless lines. Love it.

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/3/2012 2:18:27 AM   
gingerbread

There is a trick: place spare brigades (Airborne & Inf but not tank), stacked 3 high, on the first hex of the spurs you don't want the RR:s to repair. But it's easier to do like you did, buy more.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/4/2012 6:57:11 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

I'd love to post that but at this point I've fixed the problem by creating 50 additional RR brigades and stuffing them in fronts. Even then they all seem to go dilly dally on spur lines rather than fixing the actual lines that would be useful...so now I have a million men tied up in RR brigades fixing useless lines. Love it.

This is no different than the Axis RR Bns. It's only the on-map RR special units (of which the Russians get several as reinforcements over time) that you can manually direct RR.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 5
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/4/2012 10:06:35 PM   
turtlefang

Appreciate the tip.

My Soviet RR construction guys end up everywhere EXCEPT where I want them. If they can find a dead end tail cut to repair, they will.

Post #: 6
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/9/2012 1:37:37 AM   
hfarrish

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

There is a trick: place spare brigades (Airborne & Inf but not tank), stacked 3 high, on the first hex of the spurs you don't want the RR:s to repair. But it's easier to do like you did, buy more.

Yeah, I know the general feeling has been against overproduction of RR Brigades (since they used to be so central to fort building) but I do think that you need a lot more in Fronts than experts recommend - otherwise it takes FOREVER in '41 to get your rails up to where your front line is. I would think at least 3-4 per Front.

Side question - if you put them in Fronts do they help with digging at the Army level? Or are you better putting them in the Armies during the defensive phase of '41 and then transferring them back to Fronts at AP cost once you switch to the offensive? This is effectively what I unintentionally ended up doing.

Post #: 7
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/9/2012 2:42:23 AM   
turtlefang

I can only give my general observations.

Based on the advice from this forum, I cut back on my RR const BG from one/two per army and one per front to two per front. I then added two or three Sapper Reg per Army. This took care of the digging issue.

The only exception is the fighting in the far north of the Svir River - the Army I use up here has more support units that my usual armies. Here, I add a RR const BG, as well as an extra art regiment, and a tank support battalion. I also add these extra SU to my CAV armies in 41.

The advantage in cutting back on the RR construction BG has been signifigant - its freed up a lot of manpower for my infantry refits. Both in the initial construction of the RR const BG and the attrition in the support units that has to be replaced every turn. And while I have some RR construction problems, it usually isn't that great. And if I have to, I can always add another RR unit to the front where the issue is rather than just blanket the area like I used to do.

I get frustrated with the RR units as you can tell from my earlier comment. But the extra infantry replacements make the frustration worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 8
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/9/2012 3:41:02 AM   
gingerbread

If Front HQ <= 5 hexes from Army HQ then Sappers & RR Construction will help dig if the manuals is correct.

By keeping the RR (not the Sappers since they can fight as well) in the Fronts, there is a slight flexibility possible by moving the Front HQ to focus the help to a particular Army.

As to the number of RR Brigades, I would not call any number under 90 too many, that's an average of 10 per Front. Each hex traced off rail is at least 4 MP and each MP traced lessens replacements & supply received and also increases the wear on the truck pool. December '41 - February '42 is when you do not want the active manpower pool to grow since that indicates that the men are not getting to the units. A fat tail is a pre-requisite for a healthy front line.

It is a bit of a challenge for the Soviet player to transition from defence to offence as the supply mechanics are totally different. On defence, securing supply means avoiding encirclement - there is almost always a rail you can trace to. On offence, you have to keep your armies' units together and the 5 hexes/20 MP limits is something one is not used to.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 9
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/9/2012 3:41:53 AM   
AFV

How many controllable RR Construction units do the Soviet get? Schmart says several over time- what is the schedule for them?

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 10
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/9/2012 3:57:15 AM   
hfarrish

As far as I can tell from looking at the reinforcement arrivals in my current game, you get as follows:

1st NKPS: 9/3/42
2nd NKPS: 3/4/43
3rd NKPS: 9/2/43
4th NKPS: 3/2/44

I am assuming you can't build these in addition to the ones you get...

BTW AFV good to see you back on the boards!

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 11
RE: Soviet Rail Repair - 9/9/2012 9:47:09 PM   
Farfarer

I find Soviet RR brigades smarter than their Axis bot counterparts. I should post some screen shots wherein OKH sends RR bots into a completely isolated Crimea by sea movement or teleportation. Simply put, you cannot and should not be able to use Sov RR brigades to support pincer-like drives. This is one of the best coded features of the game, and is a source of admiration vice annoyance. Now, what they will do superbly is help dig, and assiduously follow your broader-front offensives. It is straightforward to have all the recaptured rail lines converted right up to the hex behind the front line - all across the Front. Now, since the RR Bots will repair every hex, but usually only 1 hex per turn, what does this tell you about the kind of offensive you need to wage if you have too few trucks? Sometimes, I have seen RR Brigades assigned to Army HQs expedite things, but not with any predictability.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet Rail Repair Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI