Matrix Games Forums

Hannibal: Terror of Rome goes into BetaBattle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and Salute
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War exhaustion needs to be tweaked.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> War exhaustion needs to be tweaked. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War exhaustion needs to be tweaked. - 9/2/2012 11:56:40 AM   
ASHBERY76

It should be like EU3 where it takes a fair while before the effect has worn off.In the game it goes more or less straight away when you get peace.

High War exhaustion in DW means you can just get peace and then declare war straight away,ie pointless mechanic.I would like major wars to have a big effect on the game for a longer period.
Post #: 1
RE: War exhaustion needs to be tweaked. - 9/2/2012 6:29:37 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Agreed, a bleed-off slow decay is a good idea, differently for each race, of course.

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 2
RE: War exhaustion needs to be tweaked. - 9/2/2012 10:16:58 PM   
Modest

Well... Hard to disagree, because right now it is instant drop to 0 as far as I know. So good point Ashbery76.
I will add that I would like to see war exhaustion rise much faster when suffering havy loses (troops, ships, private sector bases and ships).

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 3
RE: War exhaustion needs to be tweaked. - 9/5/2012 4:20:38 PM   
jpwrunyan

I don't know. The war has ended. People are happy. Though I could see a case to be made that if you go back to war too soon, the weariness ramps back up even quicker. It depends on what war weariness is really supposed to represent. Is it representing something psychological or material in the population? What is the logic behind the original implementation? I tend to think it just represents your population's collective psychological stress resulting from conflict, so I think having the effects drop off quickly is fine. If that is the case, though, it should depend more on racial characteristics than government type.

I will agree that ultimately war weariness, like many other mechanics in the game, has a total point value of zero. No real impact on the game ever. It goes all serious and critical, but I never see any downside. Colonies don't rebel. Populations don't stop growing. Economies don't collapse. Meh. If it was gone, I wouldn't notice.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 4
RE: War exhaustion needs to be tweaked. - 9/5/2012 6:15:16 PM   
MartialDoctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan
I will agree that ultimately war weariness, like many other mechanics in the game, has a total point value of zero. No real impact on the game ever. It goes all serious and critical, but I never see any downside. Colonies don't rebel. Populations don't stop growing. Economies don't collapse. Meh. If it was gone, I wouldn't notice.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever even paid attention to it. It seems to be a non-issue at this point.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 5
RE: War exhaustion needs to be tweaked. - 9/7/2012 2:17:01 PM   
Apheirox

It only ever goes up to -5 happy or so even with 'rampant' weariness. That at best requires you to lower taxes by 5% empire-wide. The value should be higher but then it would also be required to not rise so quickly. You barely have time to engage in more than a few skirmishes before you're at 'rampant'. Also, it would indeed be nice if troop losses etc. were taken into account. Planetary bombardment might even cause war weariness to drop as the populace resolves to exact vengeance upon the adversary.

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 6
RE: War exhaustion needs to be tweaked. - 9/7/2012 10:06:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

This depends on which combination of species/government you are playing. With some of them, war weariness is not really a factor. With others it should be a significant constraint, especially if you are involved in more than one war at a time.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Apheirox)
Post #: 7
RE: War exhaustion needs to be tweaked. - 9/8/2012 9:24:45 PM   
Tehlongone

Maybe the effects of war weariness could be disabled while at peace, but the score remembered and reactivated if one declares a war. Then it could slowly go away after a few years of peace.

Also isn't current war weariness only dependent on how many you are at way with, and for how long? Perhaps higher weariness for aggressive wars, and for losing ships or planets?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> War exhaustion needs to be tweaked. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI