Road to Minsk, why/how/what as requested.

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

terje439

Road to Minsk, why/how/what as requested.

Post by terje439 »

Ok, so a few things worth mentioning;
1. I am not a good player
2. I do things my way, others would do things in other ways
3. This is to win the Road to Minsk
4. This is NOT how I would do things in a bigger campaign
5. Nor did I post screenies all throughout the game, just the first turn. The reason is that a post was made in the main room, asking for an AAR showing what people do, why they do it, and how they do it. So that is what this is an attempt at, nothing more.
6. Nor is this the only way to win this one, but it is one way.

So, I have tried to explain everything in the screenshots, hope it is of some help, and if other more experienced players wish to add their better advice, please do so.

Terje

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (539.6 KiB) Viewed 233 times
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
terje439

RE: Road to Minsk, why/how/what as requested.

Post by terje439 »

Pic 2

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (584.41 KiB) Viewed 232 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Pic 3

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (609.31 KiB) Viewed 232 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Pic 4

Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (519.82 KiB) Viewed 232 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Pic 5

Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (615.99 KiB) Viewed 232 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Pic 6

Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (560.38 KiB) Viewed 232 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Pic 7

Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (528.86 KiB) Viewed 232 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Pic 8

Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (705.53 KiB) Viewed 232 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Pic 9

Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (469.1 KiB) Viewed 232 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Pic 10

Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (734.6 KiB) Viewed 233 times

hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

Nice work Terje - we need more people who are willing to put the time/explanation into this stuff...
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Compliments for a well-reasoned and well presented tutorial. Pleased that your tactics are much like my own.

One difference is that I move the most forward Inf Divs first to clear out space for the most rearward units to follow. That way the rearwards catch up to the front and I have greater weight at the front.

An important similarity (I think) is that we move the mechanized forces last to maximize their reach.

Again, well done.
PS Pita

Post by PS Pita »

Wow, terji, I wasn't expecting all this work from you! Much appreciated. Thanks very much and rrbill what you said about open supply lines may have something to do with it. As far as deliberate attacks go of
course I was using them every time, but I was only aloud a few attacks per turn.

But I will spend some time looking at this AAR which is very well detailed and should help a lot of us who are new to computer board games. As far as wargames in general I have been playing the combat mission series-1 and 2- for years now as well as a few others.

But this is great. I don't see why it needs to be this esoteric secret for war snobs only. I mean I come to these forums and there is so much generalizing about how someone got a victory from a specific scenario or campaign-
Maybe they just used the editor[:D]. And why isn't there a lets play Gary Grigsby's War in the east? where some one is actually explaining what they are doing and not just moving counters around. Really it shouldn't be that hard.
And as far as the AAR goes those don't seem to reveal anything more than how they got from one point to the next by just changing their officer or refitting they don't seem to tell you what they really did to achieve a good battle outcome or victory point
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

ORIGINAL: PS Pita

Wow, terji, I wasn't expecting all this work from you! Much appreciated. Thanks very much and rrbill what you said about open supply lines may have something to do with it. As far as deliberate attacks go of
course I was using them every time, but I was only aloud a few attacks per turn.

But I will spend some time looking at this AAR which is very well detailed and should help a lot of us who are new to computer board games. As far as wargames in general I have been playing the combat mission series-1 and 2- for years now as well as a few others.

But this is great. I don't see why it needs to be this esoteric secret for war snobs only. I mean I come to these forums and there is so much generalizing about how someone got a victory from a specific scenario or campaign-
Maybe they just used the editor[:D]. And why isn't there a lets play Gary Grigsby's War in the east? where some one is actually explaining what they are doing and not just moving counters around. Really it shouldn't be that hard.
And as far as the AAR goes those don't seem to reveal anything more than how they got from one point to the next by just changing their officer or refitting they don't seem to tell you what they really did to achieve a good battle outcome or victory point

In fairness, my sense is that most "regulars" on the board are playing the Grand Campaign only, and there really isn't a secret sauce there...yes, there are general tactics and strategies to follow, but every game is different within the framework setup for both sides (i.e. the flow of most GC games - Russians run, Germans run, Russians run, Germans get blasted back to Germany is the same).
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Hope this helps some, if there are question, just ask, and I will answer to the best of MY ability (which is not much sadly), but with some luck some of the more experienced players will chime in as well.

Terje

PS Pita

Post by PS Pita »

"I will answer to the best of MY ability (which is not much sadly" I don't know what you are talking about. For on thing I haven't seen a walk through this detailed and clear and I dare say I wonder if any of
the so called experienced players here could make one this good. As for your ability to play obviously you know what you are doing to achieve this decisive victory off the cuff and whip out this tutorial for someone like me who really doesn't know what they are doing-even after reading some of the manual. I wonder why the Gary or someone over at 2by2 couldn't make an example walk though tutorial like this for the German side. You provided me with it instantly. The one in the manual for playing as soviet side doesn't give a hold lot to go by even for short scenarios.

Anyway, what difficulty are you playing on? Normal I assume.

Thanks again
PS Pita

Post by PS Pita »

I already see one of the things I've been doing wrong. Without thinking I tend move my whole stack of counters from the hex they are on ahead and that gives me less MPs of course and in some cases may even make my attacks a little weaker or vulnerable. But, yeah, I would always move my inf or "leap frog" them, as I heard someone here call it, from the rear to clear the front.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: PS Pita

Anyway, what difficulty are you playing on? Normal I assume.

Thanks again

Yeah did this one on normal.
No problem, quickly done.
Oh, and I really am not a good player when it comes to this game, my AARs attest to that [:D]

Terje

PS Pita

Post by PS Pita »

Just to let you know that Friday night I had a little time to play some and managed to pull off a minor victory. I had I think all but one city captured and over 800 points. I followed your tutorial up to Picture 4, had most of the north clear as your did. So I proceeded on my own with your advices in mind though I got a little hasty and wasted some move points on the first turn; I would have gotten a better score and victory had I given more thought to some of my moves. The mid section of the map is a little more difficult. I had quite a few holding even with deliberate attacks. Units are densely consolidated there and so there is a lot of fire power and support.

Thanks, I'll probably give it another go and follow the rest of your tutorial and go for a major or decisive victory.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Nice to hear, good luck with the next try, it is all about practice.
If there are any questions, just ask.

Terje

Return to “After Action Reports”