Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

mining capped and 100/sec?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> mining capped and 100/sec? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
mining capped and 100/sec? - 9/2/2012 3:19:42 AM   
Lonck

with demand going through the roof and supply 0 I decided to spawn an asteroid with the editor, gave it a size 50 and placed aculon with 100% (don't think amount matters) on it. Designed a troop transport with 1k mining components (not gas), filled it with cargo and spawned it next to the asteroid with the editor. Monitoring the increase of aculon in cargo I notice that the aculon in cargo is increasing every second (game day, normal speed) by 100. Whats up with that? Prolly to stop player exploit but does this apply to mining stations, too? Colonies without a space port also seem to mine their resources just as slowly. What?
Post #: 1
RE: mining capped and 100/sec? - 9/2/2012 10:48:19 AM   
Sithuk

Guide to guides:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2988049

Resource Extraction cap guide:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2966128&mpage=1&key=

As an aside, the OP has a post count of 51 and has clearly missed the important strategy guide threads. Why can we not have stickies threads in the strategy forum. And while we're at it can the strategy forum please be called the strategy forum instead of the "war room" which is not intuitive for new players to find.

(in reply to Lonck)
Post #: 2
RE: mining capped and 100/sec? - 9/3/2012 3:40:59 AM   
feelotraveller

The problem with stickies is that the information contained in their threads often goes out of date.  It is the case with at least minor points in the threads above.  Come the next expansion (months only ) even more will be wrong.

p.s. The in game Galactopedia also suffers from the same problem. 

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 3
RE: mining capped and 100/sec? - 9/3/2012 7:28:01 AM   
joeyeti

Indeed, topics get old with patches and expansions.
We hope to have the Wiki for that reference itch, once it is up to a certain standard ;)

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 4
RE: mining capped and 100/sec? - 9/3/2012 10:22:22 AM   
feelotraveller

Lets hope the Wiki keeps on being maintained then. 

Couldn't resist... but big plaudits to all involved it's been needed for some time. 

[The latest error I noticed (today) in the Galactopedia is that - I think on the page explaining the economy? - it still claims that Intelligence Agents have maintenance costs... not so since Legends.  Lucky I'm not a new player dismissing my Spies in the mistaken belief it helps my economy. ]

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 5
RE: mining capped and 100/sec? - 9/5/2012 4:32:07 PM   
jpwrunyan

Unfortunately, Nedrear's post (linked above) doesn't really explain the underlying mechanic.
Mining is capped at 100 units/sec. Or a mining rating of 10 for normal resources.

So, at a planet with 100% resource rating, with a mining base with an extraction rate of 1, how many units per game day? The fact that mining components mine at a minimal rate of 3 makes this worse to figure out. But anyway, it looks like:

resource quality (a number from 0.0 to 1.0) x extractor mining rate (max 10) x 10 = units of resource extracted each day

so a default mining base (2 comps, 6 extraction rate) at a planet with 50% steel will provide:

0.5 x 6 x 10 = 30 units of steel per day

Please correct me if I am wrong.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 6
RE: mining capped and 100/sec? - 9/5/2012 4:57:25 PM   
Nedrear

Did one of the patches in the past 6 month really change the resource extraction that badly? If it was not changed your example would seem wrong. I check on it later. If nothing was changed you are simply wrong.

6 months ago 100% meant 100 units of ore etc. per tick which was every week. The extractor was a 10.
The "quality" then defined the quantity of the resource. A 50% resource would have 0.5 tons of dirt and 0.5 tons of ore in it. Therefore only providing half the result. The machines are not capable to cope with more than X tons a week which is their extraction rate.

Hearing 100/day would mean instead of removing the cap Elliot increased the tick rate. That would make the game utterly flooded with resources. Thats madness...

I will check it out again though.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 7
RE: mining capped and 100/sec? - 9/6/2012 10:35:20 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

Unfortunately, Nedrear's post (linked above) doesn't really explain the underlying mechanic.
Mining is capped at 100 units/sec. Or a mining rating of 10 for normal resources.

So, at a planet with 100% resource rating, with a mining base with an extraction rate of 1, how many units per game day? The fact that mining components mine at a minimal rate of 3 makes this worse to figure out. But anyway, it looks like:

resource quality (a number from 0.0 to 1.0) x extractor mining rate (max 10) x 10 = units of resource extracted each day

so a default mining base (2 comps, 6 extraction rate) at a planet with 50% steel will provide:

0.5 x 6 x 10 = 30 units of steel per day

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You have it all right except that the period is six days (always has been too ). Watch your next game carefully and you will see that resources are only credited every sixth day for mining bases and ships.

I presume that the OP looked after one day and didn't bother to keep tabs for say a month. Either that or there is some sort of bug. I've never tried mining with a troop transport.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> mining capped and 100/sec? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI