Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New to the Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> New to the Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New to the Game - 9/1/2012 6:26:57 PM   
michael1776

I purchased this game years ago, and am just now getting around to playing it. I understand most of the mechanics so far, but I am confused about what the numbers on the unit counters mean. It seems that the number in the round circle is the number of activation points you have left? Is this true of HQ units as well as liner infantry counters? What is the number in the box? Also, is the letter on an infantry counter the unit quality?

I realize that many have probably moved on from this game, but any help would be appreciated. Seems like an outstanding WWI game.

Thanks,
MJ

Post #: 1
RE: New to the Game - 9/1/2012 11:23:48 PM   
michael1776

Please disregard. I was able to locate the information I was looking for in the FAQ.

MJ

(in reply to michael1776)
Post #: 2
RE: New to the Game - 9/9/2012 2:26:34 AM   
SMK-at-work

Hi Michael - yes it is pretty dead here, but you are right - the game is an outstanding WW1 game - IMO by far the best around.

(in reply to michael1776)
Post #: 3
RE: New to the Game - 9/13/2012 1:47:27 AM   
Ralph Harper

Its a great game, really got me interested in WW1. Glad to see other WW1 games coming out also.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 4
RE: New to the Game - 9/14/2012 7:57:57 AM   
Matto

I have it installed still and one or two times per year I play one campaign. Great game with really good AI !

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, HnM I., CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW

(in reply to Ralph Harper)
Post #: 5
RE: New to the Game - 9/15/2012 2:01:22 AM   
SMK-at-work

Has anyone else tried the other WW1 games from Matrix (or anyone else)? I've played the WW2 versions of Commander and have Advanced Tactics Gold, but neither of them really appeal to me like GOA does - they are just unsubtle and ho-hum/"flavourless".

I haven't tried "World War One Gold" - but the screenshots & description don't make me want to spend any money on it.

Any others anyone has tried?

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 6
RE: New to the Game - 9/15/2012 2:22:51 AM   
nelmsm

I like HPS France 1914. Its on the battalion level so at a different scale but I lam enjoying it.

Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 7
RE: New to the Game - 9/16/2012 12:30:19 AM   
SMK-at-work

Yeah I like the TOAW scenarios for WW1 at a lower level (Bn or regiment mainly) - but they do not capture the flavour of the strategic war IMO - that is where I think GOA really shines above the rest.

(in reply to nelmsm)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> New to the Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI