To Buy or not To Buy

Strategic War in Europe is a grand strategy game where you command one or more of the 25 countries in the game. War, diplomacy, technological progress, recruitment, conquest – this is all in your hands. There are no restrictions to the actions you can perform during your turn: unit movement, purchase, attack, technology investment, reinforcement, all of those can be done at any moment during the turn.

Moderator: doomtrader

parusski

To Buy or not To Buy

Post by parusski »

On a scale of 1-10. 10 meaning yes indeed.

Comments welcome, but I do understand it's is TOF lite.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Misconduct

RE: To Buy or not To Buy

Post by Misconduct »

I believe the game can be improved and moded, I would certainly give it an 7.5 for now.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

TOF-lite...
A cut down version of Time of Fury, (also by Wastelands).
What I meant was, even though this game is smaller in scale, it is still big on play value.
I can think of few recent games at this price that provide such enjoyment
[9.5 Yes]

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
papajack

Post by papajack »

I always wanted to play the "Big Boys" wargames but never get past a couple of turns and always end up not touching them again

SWIE is a dream come true for me as it let you have all those big wargames depth/details without feeling overwhelm , frustration and yes , you will actually play a game from start to finish (something that I have not done for a long long time )

So it is a 9 [:)]

jomni

Post by jomni »

Well this seems to be a better PBEM game since it will be finished faster.
7.5 for me as there are so many WW2 games of type already and it doesn't seem to stand out so much in my opinion.
Graphics could be better.
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

When you compare it to War in the Pacific its amazingly Short - this is why I kind of quarked at it when I finished my first campaign in under 3 hours, i've been on the same WITP Pbem for over a year now! :)
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

I think this is one of the most interesting threads for other folks.
Let others know is the game worth to buy.
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

When you compare it to War in the Pacific its amazingly Short - this is why I kind of quarked at it when I finished my first campaign in under 3 hours, i've been on the same WITP Pbem for over a year now! :)

And that's exactly why they made it, a short and fun version.
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

Its my current must have game on my netbook...love to play it during my business trips....
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

ORIGINAL: Josh

+1

However the AI does need some work.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

For $15 it's a no brainer. It's not balanced and there are problems with making certain things work (like transporting troops) but it's fast, fun and easily worth more than it's price!
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
jzz001

Post by jzz001 »

9.5 now, if some sop scenarios can be import, 10 [:D]
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

TOF was really good, it is just massive. So that's that... Fun but massive, this is affordable at 15 bucks. IF it's entertaining I'm game

CEAW, SC1, Clash of Steel, High Command. Something like that with PBEM? Why not BUT can we get the Players, in the immortal words of the Terminator "I'll be back!"
ricodc

Post by ricodc »

ORIGINAL: AZ Gung Ho

For $15 it's a no brainer. It's not balanced and there are problems with making certain things work (like transporting troops) but it's fast, fun and easily worth more than it's price!

Its worth the money but agree with comment above needs to address some of the balance issues
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

Hey ricodc,

Couldn't agree more, it has big balance issues that need addressing. But still for $15 it's hard to go wrong.
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

I can't speak for Wastelands, but given the ongoing support Doomtrader has demonstrated for their other existing titles, there is no reason to think that balancing issues and the like, will be ignored on this title either.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Slacker lol. I been playing WitP AE now for just over two years (now in March '44) so let me know where you are next year [:)]
parusski

Post by parusski »

I want this to continue, 'cause am I a 12 year shill for Matrix. But a thread like this can sway people who are just not sure.

I am loving the game...but then I own all but two or three Matrix/partners games.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Appren

Post by Appren »

I bought it, and I do not regret it. This is partially because the price was low, I don't think I'd accept the AI flaws and imbalances in a full price game(the latter I am sure will be worked on in patches, the AI I'm afraid will be worse). Just buy it, and if you find out you don't enjoy it that much, you wont have wasted a whole lot of money anyway.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Appren

I bought it, and I do not regret it. This is partially because the price was low, I don't think I'd accept the AI flaws and imbalances in a full price game(the latter I am sure will be worked on in patches, the AI I'm afraid will be worse). Just buy it, and if you find out you don't enjoy it that much, you wont have wasted a whole lot of money anyway.

Oh, I own it. I just wanted a thread asking that basic questions and the answers are great. I love the game/

Return to “Strategic War in Europe”