Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

strategies?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> strategies? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
strategies? - 8/30/2012 5:54:44 AM   
Misconduct

For one, I have no problem steam rolling europe - for some reason I can't attack norway, ill figure that out later I guess, but for now I seem to be ok, my biggest flaw is trying to figure out the North African side, lack of supplies seriously take a blow to the DAK and any other units there.

I fly anti shipping runs almost always, but before I can get anything going barbarosa begins - you can delay it for only so long then the russians start to steam roll.

Whats the best course of action against russia? Ignore North Africa? Send the troops through turkey and attack Iraq etc?

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Post #: 1
RE: strategies? - 8/30/2012 4:05:05 PM   
Misconduct

Well I decided to ignore North Africa - first campaign on Normal, I manage to take all of Russia by 43, most of the oil fields by 44, didn't know where US/UK were going to attack so I had a battle line setup from germany to italy - sure enough Normandy not Italy though.
I kept producing tanks pretty much the entire game, the air war seems quite limited or useless except against tanks, one or two stukas I had were used against the russian tanks groups before pincer moving on them.
I finished the campaign with the Axis as victors, russia had the highest individual score, Germany second. I didn't have a single naval combat, few subs struck here and there - I flew countless missions against naval targets - no damage really.
I didn't manage to take norway, couldn't figure out how to land or transport the units.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 2
RE: strategies? - 8/30/2012 4:31:38 PM   
redmarkus4

quote:

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

Well I decided to ignore North Africa - first campaign on Normal, I manage to take all of Russia by 43, most of the oil fields by 44, didn't know where US/UK were going to attack so I had a battle line setup from germany to italy - sure enough Normandy not Italy though.
I kept producing tanks pretty much the entire game, the air war seems quite limited or useless except against tanks, one or two stukas I had were used against the russian tanks groups before pincer moving on them.
I finished the campaign with the Axis as victors, russia had the highest individual score, Germany second. I didn't have a single naval combat, few subs struck here and there - I flew countless missions against naval targets - no damage really.
I didn't manage to take norway, couldn't figure out how to land or transport the units.

Hi. What's your conclusion regarding this game?

Cyberpower tower PC
Intel Core i7-3930k CPU, 3.20GHz processor
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards, each with 4095 MB
Realtek sound card
Dell 3007WFP (running at 2560x1600) 32 bit monitor
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit O

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 3
RE: strategies? - 8/30/2012 4:32:06 PM   
AZ Gung Ho

Yeah, that's what's stopping me from playing as the US - I have tried and tried to figure out how to transport troops across the Atlantic, and have failed! Any pointers out there?

I played '43 as the German, ended up with one tank army on the outskirts of Paris - Western Allies were in Italy but not France.

I've noted that like most games at this scale results tend to vary wildly depending on a few key events. There's a lot about this game I don't like or understand how to make work, but it is a lot of fun.

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.marshianchronicles.com
www.usmcraiders.com

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 4
RE: strategies? - 8/30/2012 6:07:25 PM   
doomtrader

AZ Gung Ho, did you tried to load your troops at the Landing Crafts? You need AIP for that.

(in reply to AZ Gung Ho)
Post #: 5
RE: strategies? - 8/31/2012 1:28:25 AM   
Misconduct

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

quote:

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

Hi. What's your conclusion regarding this game?

For me it was rather to quick - kind of pushy, forcing a player vs the AI to "follow the war" example attacking norway, low countries, france, help Italy in Africa...russia.

I'd like to see the game slowed down a tab, maybe double the turns - 70 just seems so fast, maybe boost it to 140 to give players time to make some moves, the AI is completely terrible - I didn't set foot in russia until 43 and simply smacked it back to edge of the map with no airpower. It only had one fighter plane on the map, as I only had two fighters and one dive bomber. Later I bought a few trying to sink the allied ships trying to land in Normandy, however some reason no damage was done after countless air attacks.

For $15 I can see why it was such a steal, not BAD in any sense, but the AI needs a ton of work, and gameplay.

As for the Shipping - Doomtrader - I bought AIP points to transport 1 Armored Corps and 2 Infantry to Norway - Had them loaded on the ships - it simply doesn't give me a place to send them - either out to sea to be bombed by UK or send them over to Danzig - no choice to land in sweden (who was pro Axis at the time) or norway.

They were assault landing or whatever, I tried normal transport as well.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 6
RE: strategies? - 8/31/2012 2:03:00 AM   
AZ Gung Ho

I'm with misconduct, I can load the troops on the transports, but can't seem to find a way to either send them to a sea area or all the way to England or France.
Strange...

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 7
RE: strategies? - 8/31/2012 2:11:41 AM   
doomtrader

You need to wait one turn to move the transport fleet.

(in reply to AZ Gung Ho)
Post #: 8
RE: strategies? - 8/31/2012 5:25:02 AM   
AZ Gung Ho

Yes I know, but the next turn there was still no where I could see to send my troops too. I'm confused about that and other things as well.

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 9
RE: strategies? - 8/31/2012 6:33:04 AM   
doomtrader

So the troop transport can be unloaded only in a port, so you must move the unit to the port of destination first.
If you would like to land on beaches directly, you need to load troops onto a landing craft.

(in reply to AZ Gung Ho)
Post #: 10
RE: strategies? - 8/31/2012 10:06:43 AM   
Anguille

Use airborne units to take control of the landing hexes first.

Armada 2526 and Distant Worlds: the ultimate space strategy games are HERE in the Matrix

Pushing it to the limits: an Armada 2526 AAR

Lizzie van Zyl RIP

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 11
RE: strategies? - 8/31/2012 5:12:46 PM   
AZ Gung Ho

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

I just started the 43 scenario and set it for me to be US only.
I loaded the US Army in New York on board transports
Next turn I clicked on the port and selected the transport
Then I clicked the move button
Then I looked for a port in England (or anywhere else) and couldn't find one.
So I finally tried clicking in the open ocean just to see if I could get it to move there.
Nothing happened. I repeated this for at least 4 turns and go nowhere.

I must be missing something - probably very simple - but I can't seem to find it.
Any suggestions.

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 12
RE: strategies? - 8/31/2012 8:10:21 PM   
Misconduct

Az I did the same thing, I bought 2 Fallschirmjäger units, Loaded one German Armored unit and One MEch unit in LANDING transports which I bought. Next turn - Airborne dropped the Fallschirmjäger's next to OSLO by the beach. Next turn I tried to move those landing taskforces to norway.

I could NOT land them anywhere except a friendly port or take them out to sea to get bombed. Not near oslo, not near sweden - only in Germany or Poland (which I took) could I land those troops.

First two Fallschirmjäger's died, I could not storm the city alone or use airpower, they simply would re-strength at the end of the turn. So I had two landing craft untis waiting near OSLO - I bought two more Fallschirmjäger units and flew them over, they got slaughtered by the reinforcements in Norway.

Still I cannot move ships to Oslo or any part of Norway, or even Sweden which are now Pro-AXIS. If they are pro Axis and we are allies, how come I cannot land troops there and move them by foot? I can move troops to Hungary after we ally.
Doesn't make sense.

(in reply to AZ Gung Ho)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> strategies? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI