Soviet SU's

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Maximeba

Soviet SU's

Post by Maximeba »

Been reading some of the old posts and I think I'm overdoing the SU's. It is 1941 and every Army HQ has 14 su's in it. I have 3 artillery regiments, 2 AT regiments, 2 AA PVO regiments, 1 AA battalion, 2 sapper regiments, 1 construction battalion, 1 rr battalion and 2 light rocket regiments. Is this wrong? Also, in another game which is in the summer of '42, I noticed that Corps can have 3 su attachments. What are the best attachments for Infantry, Calvary and Armor Corp? I would assume all three would have different requirements?

It seems that a person needs to know something about each Soviet su in order to make a decision on what is the best su to purchase or assign to a HQ or a corp. Example: I have no idea what is the difference between an AA PVO regiment and a 42 AA regiment. What about artillery regiments, what is the best one to have?

I have downloaded a Guide to Building the Russian Army by Martin Schenkel (very impressive) and I have been trying to follow his suggestions. Any help on this matter would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Wes
Wes
Allies Forever
turtlefang

RE: Soviet SU's

Post by turtlefang »

There is a lot of differences of opinion on this particular issue. And I'm a relatively new player but I think your going to run into manpower and re-supply issues with this type of lavish support - plus a lack of admin points to do the things that you need to do elsewhere.

In 41, I try to keep my support structure as "clean" as possible. For army level support, I usually put two artillery regiments, one 41 mortar regiment, two sapper regiments and a PVO regiment.

- Artillery comes from your starting forces.
- Mortars are effective but cheap on manpower
- PVO because I want the German air force dead ASAP and the Soviet AF is ineffective in 41
- Sapper regiments are the most cost effective SU you can buy and you run into forts all the time

At the front level, I will usually place a RR construction regiment and a PVO regiment. In 41, I just haven't found the need for more RR construction regiments and they take a LOT of manpower for limited return.

With STAVKA, usually one (sometimes two) PVO regiments and a RR construction regiment.

Two PVO regiments with every air HQ.

I don't assign any support units to Corps HQ - the Inf Corps go away on T5 on, Cav Corp HQ disappear in January. When I can form Cav Corp from Cav divisions, I will assign one sapper regiment to them in 41 and nothing else. I don't like putting tank battalions/regiments SU with Cav Corps in 41 as this usually decreases thier mobility - they require too much fuel.

In any case, that's my "plan of action".

And I prefer the artillery regiments that "upgrade" to the RPVG(?) ones - mix of the 122mm and 152mm as these seem to engage more and at different ranges with the Germans rather than a heavy type (152mm or 203mm or the light 76mm).

But as I said, your going to get a lot of different opinions on this one.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

I prefer 3-4 artillery regiments per army; once I exhaust the initial supply I try to just build where the pool has supply. On RR Construction Units I tend to still build one per army - particularly in the '41 blizzard you will be glad you have them, particularly around Jan/Feb when you lose the initiative. Better to keep multiples in the front HQs though, since the Army HQs generally get too far ahead of the rails and the RR HQs won't operate if they are too far from the last active rail hex.

Aside from that, I produce a lot of tank battalion/regiment and sapper regiment SUs...widely agreed that sappers are the most cost effective multipurpose (help you dig, help you knock down forts on the offense) and when you have corps, particularly cav and tank corps, a tank SU and a cav SU are supposed to be a good combo.
Maximeba

Post by Maximeba »

Thanks, for the info. I'm assuming you are all purchasing these su's with AP's. If you let the AI assign the su's you will get battlions instead of regiments. Then you have to spend ap's to disband the battlions.

Thanks,
Wes
Wes
Allies Forever

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”