Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hurricane Issac........

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Hurricane Issac........ Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hurricane Issac........ - 8/29/2012 5:49:58 PM   
captskillet

boy those poor people in Plaquemine Parish LA (mouth of the Mississippi River) are catching hell again. Katrina, the oil well blowout and now another storm all within 7 years. The Parish President says this one is worse than Katrina, winds aren't as strong but the storm is so slow moving and dumping so much rain that storm surge is topping some of the levee's down there.

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Post #: 1
RE: Hurricane Issac........ - 8/29/2012 6:10:14 PM   
captskillet

Just to show how strong these things are, this is only a Cat 1 storm but it is actually pushing water up the Mississippi as the river gage in Baton Rouge has gone up over 7 feet since yesterday!

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 2
RE: Hurricane Issac........ - 8/29/2012 6:35:40 PM   
Canoerebel

For those unfamiliar with hurricanes, this storm is considerably weaker than Katrina, the powerful hurricane that clobbered the central Gulf Coast in 2005. The winds and storm surge are much less. However, Issac is coming ashore west of New Orleans, meaning that the city is in the strongest quadrant of the storm. Storm surge and excessive rainfall could create flooding problems, though probably nothing like what happened in 2005. From a wind standpoint, Issac really isn't a big deal.

Good luck Louisiana, Missisissippi and Alabama, followed by the states further north that will get excessive amounts of rainfall over the next few days.

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 3
RE: Hurricane Issac........ - 8/29/2012 8:06:17 PM   
captskillet

quote:

The winds and storm surge are much less

While the winds are less this thing is moving much slower than Katrina.........the surge in Mississippi is less (even though they just said Downtown Biloxi is flooded) but its actually higher in SE LA and is dumping much more rain..........the Parish President in Plaquemine Parish said he rode out Katrina and this is worse because of its position and speed.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4
RE: Hurricane Issac........ - 8/29/2012 8:11:41 PM   
dr.hal

My wife was born and raised in St. Bernard Parish and Katrina washed away her childhood home, we were there last year and the whole area was still a bunch of foundations only! Canoerebel is right, as Katrina hit east of New Orleans, more over toward Slidell. But as for Issac not being a big deal, given the over-topping of the levees (thanks to the wind generated sea surge) I would say it is a big deal especially if you live in or have loved ones in Plaquemines Parish!

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 8/29/2012 8:12:03 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: Hurricane Issac........ - 8/29/2012 9:57:25 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Based on everything I have seen, how does this even come close to Katrina

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 6
RE: Hurricane Issac........ - 8/29/2012 10:13:30 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Location. As was said by others, Katrina came ashore east of NOLA, so winds were from the east then north as it moved inland, directions which do not intensify the storm surge. Isaac came ashore west of NOLA, so winds are from the south pushing the Gulf of Mexico up the Mississippi River ahead of the storm. As it's slower moving also, they expect up to 2 FEET of rain on top of that storm surge. Good thing that area is not mountainous, or they would have mud slides as well, like they usually get in Central America, no matter the cat of the storm.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 7
RE: Hurricane Issac........ - 8/29/2012 11:56:51 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Well, because there are lots of folk in that Parish that losts their homes last night, and it doesn't matter what category hurricane it is, if you loose your home, it's a full blown tragedy.

Post #: 8
RE: Hurricane Issac........ - 8/30/2012 2:59:03 AM   
Canoerebel

He knows - everyone knows - that this is tragic for each person affected by the storm. He's simply saying that this storm probably won't have the massive affects of Katrina. He isn't minimizing what it means to those who are suffering.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 9
RE: Hurricane Issac........ - 8/30/2012 3:21:55 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Yes, I wasn't trying to do that at all.

But natural disasters are all tragic to at last a small handful of people but they can be ranked. Katrina was the worst modern disaster in US history. Only Galveston exceeded it in terms of lives lost.

I have been to New Orleans probably 15 times, both before and since Katrina. It is a completely different city. There are still sections of the city that are square blocks and are completely abandoned. The police patrol them now and then for squatters and arson but that is about it.
I also remember as late as 2010 driving through Louisiana and seeing hundreds of trailers that FEMA had brought down into the area, they were never used.
Tens of thousands of people left the Gulf Coast and moved north and simply never came back.

I don't think I will see another event like that in my lifetime. I was very young when Andrew struck and only remember it partially.

I didn't mean to diminish Issac at all nor it's effects. I was simply stating that based on what I have seen that this is no where near as devastating as Katrina was in terms of lives lost and property damage.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10
RE: Hurricane Issac........ - 8/30/2012 5:11:41 AM   
oldman45

People forget how bad Hugo was. One of the barrier islands was cut in half, the other island lost most of its homes. A town up river from Charleston ceased to exist and parts of Charleston county didn't have power over 45 days. The big difference between Hugo and Katrina is people got the hell out of the way of Hugo, thankfully only 7 people lost their lives. Hugo and Katrina showed the difference in government working at all levels and what happens when it fails.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Hurricane Issac........ Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI