Balancing ASL to CoH scenario conversions

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

DoubleDeuce

Balancing ASL to CoH scenario conversions

Post by DoubleDeuce »

OK, I wanted to start this thread to get some feedback (from those who are familiar with ASL > Advanced Squad Leader) on how to best go about converting the scenarios and keeping some semblance of balance. The data is pretty easy to use to create the scenario in CoH BUT I have found it difficult to transfer the OOB over and have them keep a similar balance.

I have found 2 issues so far that can throw things way out of whack, although there are probably more, I just can't remember them right now. The 2 are the Experience Ratings and Action Points.
DoubleDeuce

RE: Balancing ASL to CoH scenario conversions

Post by DoubleDeuce »

And before all the PM's and such start, YES, I am fully aware that Conflict of Heroes is NOT Advanced Squad Leader nor will it ever be. [8|] [:D]

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the best ways to convert the units to CoH ratings and what game rule settings that players should be advised to use to try and replicate the ASL Scenario the best it can possibly be and still retain the scenario's intended balance but using the CoH game engine.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

OK, been doing some testing and I think I might have a sorta makeshift system worked out. Definitely need to test it more BUT I think it will add some more "flavor" to the scenarios.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Next up on the To Do list and the one I will put my conversion formula to the test . . . Pavlov's House.

Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Yes, the balance is the tricky part.
Most ASL scenarios are balanced for head to head, so for 1 player the AI is at an immediate disadvantage.
The 2 conversions I've done so far, the AI has numerical superiority, and even with that, I gave it a few extra units.
Then you've got to play around a bit with the pts. for victory hexes and casualties.

Some things I do with units. Russians only have the Maxim mg, so I use it for all mgs in their OOB. For German I use HMG for heavies and meds and LMGs for LMGs. I don't model crew counters as they are inherent with weapons.
For mortar OBA, i use a strength of 3, and then go on up from there.

With this system, I like how unit quality and different damage counters really affect a units' ability to fire and move.

I think with a lot of the scenarios, they will only be able to be used as a starting point for a good firefight for 1 player. Of course with head to head they should port over with a little tweaking of the victory conditions.

Btw. what graphics prog do you use to post these screens?

Keep up the good work.
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: Jamm

Btw. what graphics prog do you use to post these screens?
I use Paint.NET cause its free and I have already learned a pretty good bit of it. I think GIMP would do the job too but never tried it so I stick with the one I know best, even if its only a little.
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

ORIGINAL: Jamm

Some things I do with units. Russians only have the Maxim mg, so I use it for all mgs in their OOB. For German I use HMG for heavies and meds and LMGs for LMGs. I don't model crew counters as they are inherent with weapons.
For mortar OBA, i use a strength of 3, and then go on up from there.
I was told a few months ago that the COH Russian Squads include lmg's whereas the German Squads do not. Has to do with tactics that were used and the increased flexibility of the German Squads compared to it's Russian counterparts.
So in reality Every Russian Squad has an lmg incorporated into it's firepower.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

If that is accurate then that is good to know as I will need to tweak my conversion formula's taking that into account.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

It might help to go to Academy Games website and get the board game rules PDFs.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Thanks, downloading them now.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Thanks for your interest in this. I look forward to playing these conversions. I'm not very familiar with the ASL rules, unfortunately, so I can't really comment on game balance factors.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Well, if they are enjoyable and you can manage a win playing from either side I'd say that's a good sign. [;)]

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”