anyone played old boardgames?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rising-Sun

anyone played old boardgames?

Post by Rising-Sun »

I use to play War in the Pacific by avalon hill, it was huge game, but couldnt find anyone to play with. Also noticed there are few versions of War in the Pacific and look almost alike. The second edition, never seen that, probably when i was playing Gary's War in the Pacific back then. The second edition happen to be the most expensive board game i ever seen, here the link for details...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2284 ... nd-edition

It does look related WitP by avalon hill i had, but more complex and realism. The tough parts is having to find someone willing to play with you. Til WWII fans realise that pc is your best friend, either play against AIs or someone (hotseat), LAN or even PBEMs.

Wondering if this board game was the major stepups to this game, or plan orange edition?
pmelheck1

RE: anyone played old boardgames?

Post by pmelheck1 »

I used to play the old version of War in the Pacific by SSI. A truly massive game. Thought about linking War in the pacific with War in Europe to create a world at war game but the idea of that much space dedicated to a game not the mention the time factor involved was beyond frightening. The idea of a game with 7000 counters was rather intriguing. But the idea of setting aside 1 or 2 rooms of a house for a while was more than I could do at the time. I starting buying tressel tables for maps and displays but never got enough to start both games together.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpan ... st-edition

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2802/war-in-europe
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Avalon Hill never released a game called War in the Pacific. SPI had a monster game by that name. I believe the Decision Games War in the Pacific is essentially a re-release of the old SPI game.

Avalon Hill also had a game inherited from their merger with Battleline called Flat Tops that was a very good, but complex carrier game centered on the Solomons battles. Yaquinto released a game on Midway based on the same system. I played Flat Tops many times and even back in the 80s I was trying to figure out how to computerize the game. WitP AE's grandfather was Beyond Valor which was a sort of computerized version of Flat Tops. The first WitP expanded the Beyond Valor system to the whole Pacific war.

There are no claims that any board game was a direct ancestor to the game engine, but I'm sure many naval war board games had some influence on the development of this engine. Though that is just speculation on my part.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I think you folks are thinking of Victory Games, that was the game of War in the Pacific and yes it truly was a massive board game... I only played it once while in Scotland of all places, and it was set up for almost a year. We got to November of '42 and then had to break it down. We each faithfully recorded each of our pieces and their place in order to set it back up one day, but that day has never come, he is now in Norway and I'm in Vermont! But it was fun.... Hal
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I had a game I thought was called "Victory at Sea" on floppy disc. I think Flat Top also had some serious flaw with rules when released by AH. As I am no pack rat or just to lazy to store (an embarrassing amount) of old board games the only thing I have left is some GHQ micro armor (most unfinished) if anyone wants it.
foliveti

Post by foliveti »

The Decision Games version of War in the Pacific is a descendant of the SPI version. Decision eventuallya acquired the rights to a large number of SPI games. I have both versions. The latter version is sort of a merger of the Pacific War (Victory Games) land and supply system and the War in the Pacific (SPI) naval and air system. It has so much chrome added that I can't imagince anyone playing. I need a magnifying glass to read the information from some of the counters.
Frank
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

My first boardgame was Fran Tarkenton's Pro Football I could have sworn it was an Avlon Hill product.
After playing FTPF mainstream games like operation, sorry, monopoly and the like had little interest for me.

I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing that game.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Avalon Hill never released a game called War in the Pacific. SPI had a monster game by that name. I believe the Decision Games War in the Pacific is essentially a re-release of the old SPI game.

Avalon Hill also had a game inherited from their merger with Battleline called Flat Tops that was a very good, but complex carrier game centered on the Solomons battles. Yaquinto released a game on Midway based on the same system. I played Flat Tops many times and even back in the 80s I was trying to figure out how to computerize the game. WitP AE's grandfather was Beyond Valor which was a sort of computerized version of Flat Tops. The first WitP expanded the Beyond Valor system to the whole Pacific war.

There are no claims that any board game was a direct ancestor to the game engine, but I'm sure many naval war board games had some influence on the development of this engine. Though that is just speculation on my part.

Bill

Avalon Hill had two games , War at Sea & Victory in the Pacific . They could be combined for a "world war" effect. I think this is what is causing the confusion.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Avalon Hill had Advanced Third Reich and Empire of the Rising Sun. These were excellent strategic games that could be linked together and played as "Global War 2000," which was an amazingly poor choice of names. (Actually, GWY2K wasn't a formal game, but rather the system developed by players to link the two games and play be email.) A3R is still one of the best games I've ever played. ERS was also very good, though probably not as good as A3R. Both games had a research system that was fabulous.

I still have nearly mint condition copies of A3R and ERS, plus Victory Games War in the Pacific. Sometimes I take them out just to admire the maps and counters. :)
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I have THREE copies of Flattop here in the basement right now.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
wadail

Post by wadail »

Another monster-sized Pacific War Game was East Wind Rain: The War in the Pacific 1941-1945 by Task Force Games in the mid-1980's. Spent many a barracks night playing EWR, Diplomacy, and Third Reich.

The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. - Karl von Clausewitz
Stvitus2002

Post by Stvitus2002 »

called Flat Tops

I picked up that game back in the mid 80's. At the time,there wasn't
anything else like it(that i know of). Sold it two years ago for $8,
along with a few other dusty AH titles. It never got much use once
SSI's Carrier Strike came out.

I'm still hanging on to my old ASL stuff,along with a few other titles.
One thing about those old board games(besides billions of cardboard counters)
an almost complete lack of Fog of war.

WO 0/0
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

World in Flames was our poison of choice. Many months we played that faithfully twice a week. Got into some where in 44 and the axis players called it.

I have another one that was off the radar Eagle and the lion i think the name was. Beautiful maps and counters, never could find anybody to play it, too much book keeping.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Im sorry i meant "Pacific War" wasnt sure what brand that is, hard to til in the picture. Victory games perhap, but i think its Avalon Hills.

Thinking about buying it for friend to play in person, but there a few on ebay selling it and i dont have paypal. My paypal account got screwed up due to security reasons and they never helped me to clear it up. Does anyone know where i can get one with credit/debit card or bank's money order?
wadail

Post by wadail »

It was Victory Games circa 1985, according to Board Game Geek.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. - Karl von Clausewitz
foliveti

Post by foliveti »

You are both right. I think Victory Games was a subsidiary of Avalon Hill. My understanding of the history is that after SPI folded a number of the designers etc went over to AH and started VG.
Frank
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun
Im sorry i meant "Pacific War" wasnt sure what brand that is, hard to til in the picture. Victory games perhap, but i think its Avalon Hills.

Thinking about buying it for friend to play in person, but there a few on ebay selling it and i dont have paypal. My paypal account got screwed up due to security reasons and they never helped me to clear it up. Does anyone know where i can get one with credit/debit card or bank's money order?

I have it and have played it extensivly in the late 80ies. Has some neat features on strategic/local intiative and how it shifts. Its ofc massive and takes lots of time to play through. Always liked the pilot training rules too. I can recommend it if u can find some one with the time to play it.
No idea on sales of it tho.

Kind regards,

Rasmus
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Wanted to add. If u get it note that several errates was published for the rules. Be sure to get those too.

Kind regards,

Rasmus
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

I have read in the blog of the designer of VP's Pacific War that it is slowly being redone. Also, the SPI monster that was War in the Pacific has been rereleased, as has been stated. With a price tag of 420.00 US and a space/time requirement approaching a PhD, it is just too much for me. But Pacific War, if the redesign works, would be something I'd buy. I have too many fond memories of both from my youth.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Was hoping to find a cheap one, even used or open boxes that ebay sells for is way too expensive. Believe i got mine back in the late 80s around 45 USD and now its double or tripled because they dont make those anymore or its unique boardgame. Wasnt sure about War in the Pacific Second Edition, that a whopping 300-400.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”