Homeworld Names

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

DaretoDie

Homeworld Names

Post by DaretoDie »

Hey all!

Is there a way to mod the name of your starting star? I kind of like my humans to come from Sol. It's just a pet peeve of mine...

Thanks,
DaretoDie
Haree78

RE: Homeworld Names

Post by Haree78 »

You can edit it post the start of your game by going in to the game editor. Which is one of the buttons at the top of the screen.

To answer your question accurately, no, there is no way.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Hey D2D,

*spoiler alert*
It is part of the Distant Worlds story that the Humans did originally come from Sol, but during the last great war that saw all the planets evacuated all the races spread out across the galaxy. You might still start at Sol, the remnants of the ancient civilization, or, if you don't Sol will exist somewhere in the galaxy with a Human population on it for you to colonize and adopt into your Empire, if you find it first.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Igard

Post by Igard »

Unfortunately, even when running mods we can't make our races start at their homeworlds. So despite not being set in the Distant Worlds universe, we get the same random homeworld. [:(]
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

One thing I have to do is change Sol in the editor so it has the real planets.I cannot let that rest.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

One thing I have to do is change Sol in the editor so it has the real planets.I cannot let that rest.

Very cool, something I have thought about doing myself many times.

However, again if sticking strictly to DW law and not running any mods, it is explained in the Galactopedia that Humans originally came from another galaxy altogether and claimed Sol as their home system (presumably naming it after their original home in the Milky Way galaxy). I know, it is a cheap way of explaining away the lack of Mars, Jupiter etc, but at least they tried and didn't just leave it a baffling mystery! Also, having the same starting system each time would be less interesting.

An option to have real Sol would be cool though!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
endoric_MatrixForum

Post by endoric_MatrixForum »

or this is the milkyway and make this all take placee 4 billion years in the future, the inner planets got swallowed up, sol is a red giant and white mice built a habitable planet in orbit around jupiter for the humans. there that explains my last sol system in game!

yes i said white mice.
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: Igard

Unfortunately, even when running mods we can't make our races start at their homeworlds. So despite not being set in the Distant Worlds universe, we get the same random homeworld. [:(]

Except Mechanoids[;)] I tried to apply this to other races in my PCM mod, but unsuccessfully.
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

ORIGINAL: Igard

Except Mechanoids[;)] I tried to apply this to other races in my PCM mod, but unsuccessfully.

They might have been a robotic armies built in secret at the twilight of the previous cycle by the most advanced race to safeguard the galaxy from the next invasion. It was too late for them to develop such war machine in time to save themselves but they might have hid it somewhere to lie in wait until the reapers would disappear and start building up and preparing. They would stay secretive about the reapers and their real purpose not to expose themselves too early to the Sovereign (or any other guarding reaper of the cycle). It fits nicely with DW lore and doesn't really require much changes in terms of modding. It's the approach I think I will be taking for ME mod. Why not use it in both?
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

This is a great idea Kalthaniell[;)], I will certainly use them it this way. I was also thinking of making them Keepers with their homeworld Citadel?

Also, Protheans hate synthetics and all machines! "All of them can be treachery..." [:D]
unidterror

Post by unidterror »

It would be cool if someone made 1 very HUGE or small game with all 38 races edited with game editor spaced out and all starting in their home world.. it would be a PRE SAVED SCENARIO(NEW edited saved game) we could let people download the save/scenario. It only needs to be done once. that is a really cool idea about having solar system with all our planets, you can even put the ressources from mars(water/metals)/saturn(-gas giants)-jupiter etc etc..
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: unidterror

It would be cool if someone made 1 very HUGE or small game with all 38 races edited with game editor spaced out and all starting in their home world.. it would be a PRE SAVED SCENARIO(NEW edited saved game) we could let people download the save/scenario. It only needs to be done once. that is a really cool idea about having solar system with all our planets, you can even put the ressources from mars(water/metals)/saturn(-gas giants)-jupiter etc etc..

Easy enough to do, trouble is what settings? Difficulty? Space Creatures? Pirates? Start system settings? I think if you surveyed a lot of players they would use very different settings and such a save game would have all them settings hard coded.
unidterror

Post by unidterror »

@ Haree
Hey.
Well I think it should be not talking about anything in general but overall it should be a way higher difficulty for the average gamer, to increase the challenge and your actions make greater ripples, its a scenario so settings information will be posted with map downloa

Galaxy Shape=Irregular(i find this just soo much better then all other shapes)
Star amount-- Do a vote for witch map is the most used and go with that size. whoever wins. or just go huge 1400stars 15x15

Expansion= starting

Difficulty=veryhard

Aggression=Normal(still challenging)

this just makes the game more interesting via trading technologies with other races who are friendly. And the economy are usualy much bigger then Chaos aggression.(AI is more controlled with their impulsion. Less random wars. ai vs ai. etc etc

Research Costs=VeryExpensive 500 to 999
Space Creates=None(cause alot of people dont like em) but i usualy use normal.

Pirates=Many

Colony Prevalence=Abundant(I say Scarce)
personaly i love scarce on 1400stars maps 15x15. creates less cluster and its REAL hard to find good colonies, similar to what we see in our own Solar system

Independent Alien Life= Rare
this just make sense if we making a Scenario based on our history of planer earth. alien life is deffinitly rare, still only my opinion.

Colony Influence Range=10% ill tell ya why.
simply if you have 200% the AI will not colonize some planets because of the colony influence range is bugging it. This is what ive noticed.

Enforce Colonization Range Limits=Uncheck it
Colonization Range=0.50 sectors

race=well whatever race u chose[:D](example: humans will have solar system with all planets replicated in our own actual solar system.)

Empire name=Earthlings, humans, idk mankind, haha

Home System= excellent (of course)

Size=starting

Tech level= starting

Corruption=normal

Government= Republic

Other Empires:37 other races then human the extended version yes! Thanks to the brilliant work of Haree.!

all Specify stats starting empires

goverment types=whatever games selests.
sizes=starting
techleves=starting
homesystems=excellent
proximitytoyou=random

Victory Conditions=100% threshold percent
Territory control xx% of colonies in the galaxy=no
population=no
economy=no
enable race specific victory conditions=yes or no
I always play sandbox..

victory conditions apply after xx years=no(unclick)
Time limit game finishes after XX years= no

Enable original Distant worlds story events=yes
Enable return of the shakturi story events and victory conditions=yes
enable disasters and other events=yes
enable race-specific events=yes

Return to “Design and Modding”