Crash on startup

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Raap

Crash on startup

Post by Raap »

So, after a few months' break I decided to have a game with the new patch. I started up the game, but crashed shortly after the loading screen shows the 'Feeding the Giant Kaltors' message. Since then I've tried everything I can think of. Game's been uninstalled, registry cleaned, then reinstalled. DotNet stuff, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player stuff, directx, all of that's been reinstalled or updated. System is Win7 64bit.

Anyway, crash message

Code: Select all

Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
   Problem Signature 01:	distantworlds.exe
   Problem Signature 02:	1.7.0.16
   Problem Signature 03:	50066b51
   Problem Signature 04:	DistantWorlds
   Problem Signature 05:	1.7.0.16
   Problem Signature 06:	50066b51
   Problem Signature 07:	ea1
   Problem Signature 08:	cf
   Problem Signature 09:	System.TypeInitialization
   OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
   Locale ID:	1044

And the crash dump
Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.7.0.16

02:30:05 26. august 2012

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception. ---> <CrtImplementationDetails>.ModuleLoadException: The C++ module failed to load.
---> System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'MSVCR80.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
at clock()
at ?A0xe96b2b07.clock_wrapper()
at <CrtImplementationDetails>.LanguageSupport._Initialize(LanguageSupport* )
at <CrtImplementationDetails>.LanguageSupport.Initialize(LanguageSupport* )
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at .cctor()
at DistantWorlds.MusicPlayer..ctor(Main mainForm, String folder, String themeMusic)
at DistantWorlds.Main.yYtpZSSn1N(String , Boolean )
at DistantWorlds.Main.reHpArt5St(Int32 , Int32 , Boolean )
at DistantWorlds.Main..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, Boolean windowedMode, Splash splashForm)
at DistantWorlds.Start.E7NXHUnuOX(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at QukXpC1BE3xoeTuXDY.oN3gf1JGSWkDKW2j5R.EjGuCuNXlMYH6bP87nV(Object )
at QukXpC1BE3xoeTuXDY.oN3gf1JGSWkDKW2j5R.wSBey0MGf()

Further info follows:

<CrtImplementationDetails>.ModuleLoadException: The C++ module failed to load.
---> System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'MSVCR80.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
at clock()
at ?A0xe96b2b07.clock_wrapper()
at <CrtImplementationDetails>.LanguageSupport._Initialize(LanguageSupport* )
at .cctor()

--- COMPLETE ---

I ended up trying to steal a MSVCR80.DLL file from elsewhere and placing it in the game folder. However, having now tried at least 5 different ones from both other applications and from the net, I'm inclined to give up on that route as they all caused different sorts of crashes. Some of those crashes says an attempt was made to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Raap

RE: Crash on startup

Post by Raap »

Still no luck. I went into Event Viewer and found this event related to the crash:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\PresentationCore.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.1830" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I then used sxstrace.exe to see if it would give more detailed information. Log:
=================
Begin Activation Context Generation.
Input Parameter:
Flags = 0
ProcessorArchitecture = Wow32
CultureFallBacks = en-US;en
ManifestPath = C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\PresentationCore.dll
AssemblyDirectory = C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\
Application Config File =
-----------------
INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\PresentationCore.dll.
INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is PresentationCore,processorArchitecture="X86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.0".
INFO: Reference: Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.1830"
INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.1830".
INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture WOW64.
INFO: Resolving reference for culture Neutral.
INFO: Applying Binding Policy.
INFO: No publisher policy found.
INFO: No binding policy redirect found.
INFO: Begin assembly probing.
INFO: Did not find the assembly in WinSxS.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\8.0.50727.1830__1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.DLL.
INFO: Did not find manifest for culture Neutral.
INFO: End assembly probing.
INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture x86.
INFO: Resolving reference for culture Neutral.
INFO: Applying Binding Policy.
INFO: Find publisher policy at C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_policy.8.0.microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_none_9193a620671dde41.manifest
INFO: No binding policy redirect found.
INFO: Begin assembly probing.
INFO: Did not find the assembly in WinSxS.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\8.0.50727.1830__1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.MANIFEST.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.DLL.
INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.MANIFEST.
INFO: Did not find manifest for culture Neutral.
INFO: End assembly probing.
ERROR: Cannot resolve reference Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.1830".
ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
End Activation Context Generation.

Unfortunately I've no idea what that's saying, so I'm not sure what to do with it. Uninstalled and reinstalled the VisualC++ redistributables just in case, but doesn't appear to have had any effect.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

I have a very similar problem, re-installed the latest version with latest patch and:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: distantworlds.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.7.0.16
Problem Signature 03: 50066b51
Problem Signature 04: DistantWorlds
Problem Signature 05: 1.7.0.16
Problem Signature 06: 50066b51
Problem Signature 07: e92
Problem Signature 08: 332
Problem Signature 09: System.IndexOutOfRangeException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

****! [:(]
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Ok I've installed the vanilla game, no updates, loads fine.

Will now apply RotS and try.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Ok I re-intalled Legends on top of RotS, it now loads OK.

It's version 1.7.

I'll try applying the latest patch, it appears that might be breaking the game! [:(]
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Well that's odd.

Downloaded and applied the latest patch, game now loads fine.

Very odd that we both had the same problem but a complete re-install appears to have fixed it for me. [&:]

PS: I didn't use the auto-updater, not once!
Raap

Post by Raap »

Yeah, original game and RotS expansion isn't working for me at all, so definitely different problems. Must be something messed up on my computer. Ugh.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Doh! Mine only loads once, thereafter it gives the same error again.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: Raap
I ended up trying to steal a MSVCR80.DLL file from elsewhere and placing it in the game folder. However, having now tried at least 5 different ones from both other applications and from the net, I'm inclined to give up on that route as they all caused different sorts of crashes. Some of those crashes says an attempt was made to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Hi Raap

Did you install the full C++ runtime package from Microsoft?

The relevant installer can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

That *should* fix your problem. Note that copying DLLs manually is unlikely to work, because of other dependencies, registry settings, etc.

Thanks
Elliot
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Sorry to crash the thread - I found my issue, I installed over the top of an old DW directory which had many mods in it. Cleared all folders and started a fresh, that's fixed my problem.
Raap

Post by Raap »

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything, several times, including the C++ runtimes. I'm starting to think my .Net 3.5 SP1 is corrupt. I can't actually uninstall it, since it's part of Win7. I can deactivate and then reactivate it through Windows Features, but that doesn't seem to be fixing my problems. Maybe the source files Windows uses to install/activate it are bad or something.
Raap

Post by Raap »

Well, nothing short of a full reinstall( well, Upgrade) managed to solve the problem. It definitely wasn't directly game related though, as I had at least two more applications that wouldn't work, claiming that same error message in event viewer. After the upgrade, all three applications including Distant Worlds is now working fine again. Frustratingly, I still don't know exactly what went wrong, though I still suspect it had to do with .Net 3.5.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I bought a new laptop, and fail to launch the game on it. The error seems very much like the one in this thread, other than some differences in 07 and 08 of the crash reports.

This is a pre installed windows with very little else than a browser and the pre installed junk. Maybe I have to try install form a win7 dvd bought for a different computer, and see if it solves itself.

It is not good for the game if it refuses to run on a normal system, though.

I did install the game, expansion, and latest patch using files stored on a network drive. I have used the same files to install the game on my desktop computer.

Peef

Post by Peef »

seems the issue I(m having is quite common, with no real fix atm?

spent 50€ for a game that doesn't work on my pc, great ...
Peef

Post by Peef »

seems I managed to install it, I'll open a thread, maybe the mods can add it in the FAQ?

Return to “Tech Support”