Neil Armstrong has died

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Hertston

Neil Armstrong has died

Post by Hertston »

Don't really know what to say about this. 'RIP' sounds so inadequate, somehow. [:(]
OldSarge

RE: Neil Armstrong has died

Post by OldSarge »

I just got the word! That is so sad!

I've always admired him. Everything that I've ever read about him has been nothing short of admirable. His calm under stress, like during the Gemini 8 mission that almost ended in disaster. Even during the lunar landing he kept it together and got the Eagle down.

RIP Neil!!

BTW, this is a request from his family on how to celebrate his memory:
"Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
uncc

Post by uncc »

"That's One Small Step For Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind."
[center]Neil Armstrong July 21 at 02:56 UTC, 1969[/center]

Now he's taken the ultimate step into the uknown. May he rest in peace.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

I was 10 when He walked on the moon and boy did that event inspire me and set me on my course through life...

Thanks Neil

Rest in Peace

Cheers

Gary
I am really quite mad yoo know!
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I remember where I was and what I was doing when they landed on the moon(Japan).  Couldn't believe it.  I had all this Japanese around me watching it on tv.....I was so Proud to be an American.  He will be missed.[:(]

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
htuna

Post by htuna »

A big part of our History.. one would've thought that we would've landed on Mars by now..
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

My class watched it on black & white TV as it all unfolded.

Neil Armstrong's name will be in the history books for ever more.

Lance Armstrong will be forgotton because sport is not important.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Rest well Neil....you are now truly with the stars. I will think of you whenever
I look at the moon.
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

He isn't dead because legends never die. If anyone qualifies it's him. [&o]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

Goodbye Neil, you will be missed.
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

RIP the real man in the moon[&o][:(]

this men had guts and were heroes of mankind
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

RIP Neil Armstrong [&o]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

A true hero has left us, rest in peace Mr. Armstrong.
ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

A big part of our History.. one would've thought that we would've landed on Mars by now..

Landing on Mars today would be relatively easy Compared to how hard and dangerous landing on the moon was in 1969. But taking off again is still just about impossible even with today’s tech.

The cost of shipping and landing enough fuel for a takeoff from Mars would probably bankrupt half the countries on the planet today, so until we can find a way to make the fuel for the return trip on Mars itself, or a new type of interplanetary propulsion is invented, Mars is probably going to be out of the grasp of human footsteps for a long time to come.

Jim
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

RIP Eagle Scout Neil Armstrong.
Mark
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

RIP Neil Armstrong
Josh

Post by Josh »

A hero of all time.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

I'd like to think his spirit is free amongst the stars.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Areal loss.

I remember at age 8 sitting in a school room and watching the moon landing live in grainy black and white. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen - it still is.

One thing that really impresses me is that in this age of "celebrities" - Armstrong who achieved so much more than any of them was so modest.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

A true hero has left us, rest in peace Mr. Armstrong.
ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

Landing on Mars today would be relatively easy Compared to how hard and dangerous landing on the moon was in 1969. But taking off again is still just about impossible even with today’s tech.

The cost of shipping and landing enough fuel for a takeoff from Mars would probably bankrupt half the countries on the planet today, so until we can find a way to make the fuel for the return trip on Mars itself, or a new type of interplanetary propulsion is invented, Mars is probably going to be out of the grasp of human footsteps for a long time to come.

Jim

No. A manned mission to Mars would be an extremely difficult and dangerous mission. The actual landing might be relatively easy but everything else is very hard.

1. The Moon is 4 days away, and as Apollo 13 showed, if something bad goes wrong, that's close enough to have a chance. Mars is a very long way away, even at closest approach to the Earth.

2. Using Hohmann transfer orbits (conventional orbital mechanics), Mars missions are essentially at least a year in length. If you want to spend any real time on the surface, which you would probably want to do after spending zillions of bucks to get there, you're looking at three.

There are numerous obvious problems with several people cooped up in a small space for such lengths of time but they have been mostly dealt with in the past, although only when in near instantaneous contact with Earth; not a luxury you have on a Mars mission.

The real deal-breaker is radiation. You might be able to protect the crew to a reasonable extent on the way to Mars with propellant tanks etc, but on the way back those will mostly be gone. As a result, sober planners now admit that much faster transit times will be necessary.

3. This means new propulsion technologies, and several have been shown to work, but developing them in the scale required and man-rating them will cost time and lots of money. There is also the risk that they won't start/restart after a very long period with no maintenance, dooming your crew.

4. Making chemical propellants to get off the surface of Mars using In Situ Resource Utilisation (electrolysis of water ice to form hydrogen and oxygen or generating methane and oxygen from carried hydrogen and Martian carbon dioxide) would probably be one of the easier parts of the engineering. Alternatively you can use nuclear thermal propulsion, possibly with Martian CO2 as the propellant to get back into orbit. Other options won't work. You need lots of thrust to get off a planetary surface and that means chemical of nuclear thermal rockets.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “General Discussion”