Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What kind of game is this?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> What kind of game is this? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What kind of game is this? - 8/24/2012 2:25:12 PM   
towerbooks3192

I was browsing the shop and I happen to have the sudden urge to try and delve deeper into hex-based war games like Panzer General 2. I have PG2 lying around in my GOG account and despite playing something similar to it on the DS, I sort of hate it for the lack of random map generators. I am a typed of person who prefers open ended gameplay and random map generators because I feel kind of trapped in games with limited scenarios.

How does this game differ from the other ones in the market like panzer general 2 and TOAW III? I know that it is good to play some pre-made scenarios but I love open-ended games and much freedom so is this game the right game for me?

I played Civ series and dabbled HoI 3 (too complex and I can't do some fantasy scenarios like little countries going for world domination) I am looking for a hex-based wargame with complexity and tons of replayability mainly because of a random map generator
Post #: 1
RE: What kind of game is this? - 8/24/2012 2:42:07 PM   
british exil

You do have the scenarios or fixed games built in. What is very appealing is the random game.

In random game you can decide the size of the map from small to huge. You can decide what kind of terrain you want large water masses or small. Rivers, forests, mountains, swamps. Seasons also play a role dry and wet seasons. So you can get stuck into mud or swamps can freeze and are passable in winter.
How many opponants you want. AI or human both are possible, thus you can play against the AI or a few human players. Multiplayer is only possible through PBEM.

So you play your turn, the next player, and everybody takes their turn till it's your turn again.

You can decide what kind of units you want to build, although often you have to adapt to the terrain and also the enemy.
If he is building a massive airfleet you'll need either flak or planes to defend yourself.

Mech units are also possible but they need supplies, beans and bullets, oil. You can run out of oil, then your panzers are sitting dry and can only shoot but not move. Bad if your on the offensive.

So you can see the game is a vary of Quatermaster and General. Tons of fun.

And every map can be different.

You will not regret buying the game. Just read some of the AAR's to get a picture of it.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 2
RE: What kind of game is this? - 8/24/2012 3:31:34 PM   
Webizen

Advanced Tactics Gold, in my opinion, has the best random map (game) generator in the market today. It is by far my favorite feature of the game and why I have continued playing it for five years. The recent v2.11 beta patch enhanced the random map generator even more. If you purchase the game and like NATO counters check out my NATO Counters MOD. Also, as part of ATG you'll also get the ability to play the older AT game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

I was browsing the shop and I happen to have the sudden urge to try and delve deeper into hex-based war games like Panzer General 2. I have PG2 lying around in my GOG account and despite playing something similar to it on the DS, I sort of hate it for the lack of random map generators. I am a typed of person who prefers open ended gameplay and random map generators because I feel kind of trapped in games with limited scenarios.

How does this game differ from the other ones in the market like panzer general 2 and TOAW III? I know that it is good to play some pre-made scenarios but I love open-ended games and much freedom so is this game the right game for me?

I played Civ series and dabbled HoI 3 (too complex and I can't do some fantasy scenarios like little countries going for world domination) I am looking for a hex-based wargame with complexity and tons of replayability mainly because of a random map generator

Tac2i

Post #: 3
RE: What kind of game is this? - 8/24/2012 7:42:13 PM   
towerbooks3192

Ok about unit creation and scenario editor. How deep is it? I have been browsing a couple of forums to these related war games and if I have read correctly I have read about elves and humans? So is this game only limited to WW2 or some World Wars?

I was leaning towards TOAW 3 because of their lots of scenarios but the thing is that they lack the random map generator because if I would create my own scenarios I would not enjoy playing them for I will know the advantage/disadvantage of the scenario.

I am still thinking about this game and if I am willing to really give it a shot. I mean $40 is usually a lot to spend on strategy games for me especially on something I haven't heard of before

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 4
RE: What kind of game is this? - 8/24/2012 8:04:06 PM   
Webizen

I'm not a scenario modder myself but there are some around that have created fantasy mods, WWII mods and even modern war mods. The game editor isn't the best documented or the easiest thing to use but there is online documentation and others I'm sure would help if your looking to make your own. For me personally, the random game generator is enough. Here is a screenshot from my latest random game (scenario) I finished: screenshot. I played it a few turns beyond the game declaring victory as I was having fun completely finishing off the Nipponese.

The game designer, Vic (VR Designs), actively supports all his games. So far he has designed Advanced Tactics, Advanced Tactics Gold, Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris and Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue. The last three all currently have public beta patches available. His first game was Peoples Tactics and was the fore runner to Advanced Tactics and is available for free at http://advancedtactics.org. There is a scenario bank there also for his latest games.

quote:

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Ok about unit creation and scenario editor. How deep is it? I have been browsing a couple of forums to these related war games and if I have read correctly I have read about elves and humans? So is this game only limited to WW2 or some World Wars?

I was leaning towards TOAW 3 because of their lots of scenarios but the thing is that they lack the random map generator because if I would create my own scenarios I would not enjoy playing them for I will know the advantage/disadvantage of the scenario.

I am still thinking about this game and if I am willing to really give it a shot. I mean $40 is usually a lot to spend on strategy games for me especially on something I haven't heard of before

< Message edited by Webizen -- 8/24/2012 8:24:49 PM >

Tac2i

Post #: 5
RE: What kind of game is this? - 8/24/2012 8:20:28 PM   
towerbooks3192

OK. Thanks for the info mate.

I checked the forums and those tutorials about how to do something in the scenario editor or campaign editor and my head is already spinning.

I think I will give it more time and see if I really want to delve deep into this genre. At least I found one that has a random map generator which is what I am looking for in this type of game. I will read all the info I could find in the AARs in this forum and see if I can find any other sources of information

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 6
RE: What kind of game is this? - 8/26/2012 5:10:23 AM   
Jeffrey H.

You might also give a look at Empire Deluxe, not hexes but it's a better random game with better AI. AT is good, and more like a an old SPI boardgame and you'll get some fun for certain if you liek that type of game.

The editor is powerful but not for the timid. I've never really come to grips with it. Others have and they've produced some real gems for mods.

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> What kind of game is this? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI