Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release date
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/1/2012 9:01:57 PM   
SpitfireIX

quote:

ORIGINAL: temagic

Good movie that is lacking a bit... First, it makes Yamamoto out to be too much of a 'good guy' - hero type of guy, also, it's a little bit fast paced... Also lacking Yamamoto's fight with Navy Staff, like his threat of resignation in autumn of 1941. -Not part of the movie. Overall though, it's a good flick, with the most stupid title here in Sweden...

Thanks for the mini-review; two more mostly negative reviews have appeared on Amazon.co.uk in the last couple of days, and I was becoming concerned that the movie might actually be bad, rather than just not meeting the ignorant expectations of the reviewers.

"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41

(in reply to temagic)
Post #: 31
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/2/2012 3:32:50 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510
Kind of like Gettysburg...if you look close enough, you can see a car driving in the background, a modern day wrist watch...etc...

I think there was a car visible in the background in Lord of the Rings too.

Bill

I guess I haven't noticed that. Is it in one of the forest/country side scenes?

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 32
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/2/2012 3:33:39 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

I can't help but laugh when i see an old episode. Why? because as a kid i honestly never noted that in the background of the scenes where the Corsairs were coming in to land......you could see roads and telephone poles. Occasionally you'd even see a truck or car driving past.

The setting of the series is supposed to be a South Pacific Island.

quote:

Kind of like Gettysburg...if you look close enough, you can see a car driving in the background, a modern day wrist watch...etc...

Bill

I guess I hadn't noticed. Is it in a forest/country side scene?

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 33
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/2/2012 9:23:52 PM   
John 3rd

I'd watch this just for the effects! They look fantastic.

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 34
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/2/2012 11:36:29 PM   
temagic

Well, I thought it was good, even considering I payed 163$ plus shipping for the super-duper boxed special edition that didn't contain english subtitles, then another 35$ for a regular copy with english and swedish subtitles just to wath the bloody thing. Thought I'd find a torrent file, but, oh no!

Anyway, it cost me a pair of trousers and a shirt and a half but I still consider it a good movie and wasn't disappointed.

edit: enjoyed it more than the 'Yamato' movie from a few years back, which I also approved of...

< Message edited by temagic -- 10/2/2012 11:38:07 PM >

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 35
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/3/2012 1:48:33 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

quote:

I guess I haven't noticed that. Is it in one of the forest/country side scenes?

It's in the background when Sam and Frodo are out in the middle of a field.

http://www.theonering.com/galleries/the-lord-of-the-rings-movies/the-fellowship-of-the-ring/car-in-fellowship-new-line-cinema

Apparently Peter Jackson didn't see it when filming and was wondering what people were talking about after the movie was released. It was edited out of the DVD.

I recall seeing it in the movie when I saw it in the theater.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 36
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/3/2012 5:25:16 AM   
fodder

J

< Message edited by fodder -- 10/3/2012 5:27:45 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 37
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/3/2012 2:29:06 PM   
fodder

quote:

Well, I thought it was good, even considering I payed 163$ plus shipping for the super-duper boxed special edition that didn't contain english subtitles, then another 35$ for a regular copy with english and swedish subtitles just to wath the bloody thing. Thought I'd find a torrent file, but, oh no!

Anyway, it cost me a pair of trousers and a shirt and a half but I still consider it a good movie and wasn't disappointed.

edit: enjoyed it more than the 'Yamato' movie from a few years back, which I also approved of...

After reading this, for some reason, I had to find out. I did a very quick search and found both the 1968 and 2011 Yamamoto movies at a number of different torrent/free movie sites. I will not say where I found these movies.

I only state that they are there, just like the sun is up there.

I do not recommend that you go to any of these sites or to the sun for that matter.

In both cases, you will get burned.

(in reply to temagic)
Post #: 38
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/3/2012 4:42:52 PM   
Nikademus

people who are into bit Torrent usually know the risks involved. I have a buddy who's big into it. Always trying to sell me on it. No way.

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 39
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/3/2012 6:07:06 PM   
SpitfireIX

quote:

ORIGINAL: SimHq Tom Cofield

Would be nice if they did subtitle it. Would pick it up if they had a US DVD version.

I discovered that Blu-ray actually had different regional encoding from DVD, and, further, supposedly most Blu-ray discs don't have it. So possibly the fact that it's not mentioned on Amazon.co.uk's page for the Blu-ray version means that it can be played anywhere. I'm going to try to find out from Cine Asia.

"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41

(in reply to SimHq Tom Cofield)
Post #: 40
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/10/2012 8:54:07 PM   
RisingSun

Yeah it wont work on US or imported US Blueray DVD Players, luckly i had my pc to run it by switching the region (Japan) and also record it for DVD so i can watch it in my family room. The movie is pretty good, but there some things what puzzled me or whoever made the subtitle made mistake. So one is when Pearl Harbor was about to be attacked, the english subtitle mention Dec. 8th 1941. Didnt show the The Battle of Coral Sea. During the Midway Operations, The Japaneses mention that they spotted US carriers by submarines (half-way from Midway to Pearl) though they didnt detect til it was too late, another word they arrive too late. Its possible they detect the Yorktown during the delay to join up the Task Group to point luck, North-East of Midway. Also forgot, they didnt show carrier-borne torpedo bombers attacking the fleet either.

SpitfireIX, that is true and they didnt mention that is needed region 2 to be able to play the dvd movie, except the orginal Amazon did. Well guess you guys will have to blame that one on the Brits lol. Anyway good details and if you watch it, you will noticed the Yamato is carrying four 6.1"/45 triple mount turrets, one bow, stern and both side of the ship. Later on im sure they refit those sides into quick firing AA guns.

Here i posted a screen shot of yamato...

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 10/10/2012 9:09:55 PM >

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 41
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/10/2012 10:23:10 PM   
Schanilec

For the date; 8 December is correct. KB was using Japan time.
I'd love to get my hands on that movie.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 42
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/11/2012 9:05:28 AM   
RisingSun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

For the date; 8 December is correct. KB was using Japan time.
I'd love to get my hands on that movie.

I though so, i remember reading some Yamamoto books and something about 8th of December, though it was taken places in Philipines. But that more than twenty years ago.

Well the movie is worth getting, they did a great job making all these accurate models to feel the real thing. Keep looking i am sure you will get it.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 43
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/11/2012 9:43:40 AM   
ilovestrategy

Risngsun, I love your avatar.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 44
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/11/2012 10:34:52 AM   
RisingSun

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Risngsun, I love your avatar.

Thank you, i loved it too. If i could find her IRL, i would ask her to marry me lol.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 45
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/11/2012 4:14:31 PM   
Schanilec

Yum.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 46
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 7/5/2013 2:24:37 PM   
Olorin

My review: good movie.
If you 've ever watched Japanese anime, this movie has that vibe in its acting and directing, which means forced sentimentality in certain places. Entirely tolerable though, even if you're not used to Japanese movie making. As others said, his threat of resignation was not shown. Effects were mostly good, except that the explosions looked somewhat fake. Best moment of the movie for me, the attack on Akagi... and Nagumo crying (I don't know if that happened in RL). In general, Nagumo was depicted a bit unfairly, imho.

< Message edited by Olorin -- 7/5/2013 2:43:06 PM >

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 47
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 7/5/2013 10:09:48 PM   
czert2

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpitfireIX

quote:

Thanks for the mini-review; two more mostly negative reviews have appeared on Amazon.co.uk in the last couple of days, and I was becoming concerned that the movie might actually be bad, rather than just not meeting the ignorant expectations of the reviewers.

Well some movie consumers simply want effects, effects, (and love story) and thats all. Holes in plot, flat character or acting...doesnt matter for them. I call them cash cows.
But fortunately there are wachers which DO care for story, characters, historycall accuracy and také effects simply as way hot to tell story.
Didnt looked at that movie, but will surely do.
And need to say both last star treks, man of steel, THTSNBN were total s***s.

(in reply to SpitfireIX)
Post #: 48
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/11/2013 2:02:32 AM   
czert2

in now just wacthed movie (admiral) yamamoto - (leader of combined fleet) and around 50th min of movie they have diner and no one eated that fish, what was meaning/symbolisms  of it ?

< Message edited by czert2 -- 10/11/2013 2:04:10 AM >

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 49
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/12/2013 2:23:24 AM   
Footslogger

Isn't this most of the movie? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBw8iWOx9sg

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 50
RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie - 10/12/2013 3:29:50 PM   
temagic

yes, it is

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: New WW2 Pacific War Movie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI