Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval AI in this game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> Naval AI in this game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval AI in this game? - 8/23/2012 7:35:28 PM   
Borsook

I already own ToF, but I'm thinking of buying this. My only gripe is that the naval side of the conflict in ToF doesn't present much of a challenge. What's the state of naval AI in this game?

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
Post #: 1
RE: Naval AI in this game? - 8/23/2012 10:11:13 PM   
doomtrader

Time of Fury has got much more Sea Zones and Naval units when compared to Strategic War in Europe.

(in reply to Borsook)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval AI in this game? - 8/24/2012 9:51:21 AM   
Borsook

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Time of Fury has got much more Sea Zones and Naval units when compared to Strategic War in Europe.

Obviously... but I rather meant things like will Royal Navy guard the English Channel?

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval AI in this game? - 8/24/2012 10:23:10 AM   
doomtrader

With the reduction of the number of Sea Zones, the AI has got an easier task right now. Monthly turns also are changing the perspective of the naval operations.

We are planning to release pretty often updates and implement changes reported by players every month or so. So far we haven't got complains for the British AI.

(in reply to Borsook)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval AI in this game? - 8/25/2012 5:38:23 PM   
ricodc

Ive just finished first full game of SWE. At first got confused with the Naval side of the game but after few turns got the hang of it. Still not 100% sure of how form a new fleet.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 5
RE: Naval AI in this game? - 8/26/2012 1:26:25 PM   
ricodc

Is it possible to make one new fleet out of two damaged fleets.

(in reply to ricodc)
Post #: 6
RE: Naval AI in this game? - 8/27/2012 3:02:27 PM   
Bonners

Not too sure about the naval aspect of the game so far. The actual mechanics of fleets is fairly straightforward to get your head around once you work out what the various screens do (i.e. how to combine various fleets). But I am not actually too sure what good fleets are. At the moment I am experimenting with games and am going to try an experiment with playing Britain and disbanding all the fleets, just because I think it would be more useful to have that production and upkeep in land units. It is how to intercept and patrol sea areas I am struggling with. I've just played the first couple of turns of the 1941 and 1942 scenarios as German, again just mucking around and experimenting. On the first couple of German turns I took the opportunity to launch a cross channel invasion with the units already in Northern France. Both invasions were successful in that there was no interception from the British fleet in the channel (The British were being played by the AI).

I've also noticed in sea areas that when fleets do intercept each other not very much ever seems to happen. General thing seems to be you go to the naval combat screen at the end of your turn and each side misses each other a few times. Convoys seem pretty random as to when they get intercepted, even for the Germans in North Africa.

So, for my experiment as the British, as above I'm going to disband all my fleets to see if it is worth having the increased production in land units. As far as I can tell I dont need fleet protection for invasions or naval transports as I've been unable to get any naval units to intercept either of these with various different experimental games I've tried. The only thing I've seen happen is convoys of supplies getting intercepted, but I'm not too sure how this happens.

I am new to these type of games so it could be I'm missing something but I cant figure out at the moment the usefulness of fleets or what function they fulfil in the game. Hopefully somebody more experienced will be able to enlighten me as I get the impression that there is some vital component that I am missing rather than it being the game.

(in reply to ricodc)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> Naval AI in this game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI