Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How Relevant is old Panzer General Strategy Guide?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> The War Room >> How Relevant is old Panzer General Strategy Guide? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How Relevant is old Panzer General Strategy Guide? - 8/23/2012 3:30:15 AM   
hartbrown

I still have my old strategy guide from Panzer general. It seems most of the general strategy is still the same.
Post #: 1
RE: How Relevant is old Panzer General Strategy Guide? - 8/23/2012 3:09:44 PM   
Josh

Well I think it's safe to say yes. There are some small differences though, one is the fact that recon can move more than once.

(in reply to hartbrown)
Post #: 2
RE: How Relevant is old Panzer General Strategy Guide? - 8/28/2012 9:39:51 AM   
towerbooks3192

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

Well I think it's safe to say yes. There are some small differences though, one is the fact that recon can move more than once.

Not sure if applied in PzG 2 but I just tried playing the Madrid offensive and I think you have one recon unit (the Pw something) and I managed to move it and from there it still displays a couple of hexes to move but lesser than the initial move so I think I was able to move recons more than once in PzG and in this game

Edit: Typo

< Message edited by towerbooks3192 -- 8/28/2012 9:40:45 AM >

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 3
RE: How Relevant is old Panzer General Strategy Guide? - 8/29/2012 9:19:31 AM   
micha1100

I think a huge difference is that you can move artillery into range and fire immediately. Iirc in PG you had to transport artillery even if you wanted to move just one hex and that meant opposing artillery got the first shot in.

(in reply to hartbrown)
Post #: 4
RE: How Relevant is old Panzer General Strategy Guide? - 9/10/2012 7:21:31 PM   
AceDuceTrey

I can think of only two advantages that PC has over PGII:
1. Air play, PC not only introduces the medium/heavy bombers that can be used "strategically" but limits aircraft loiter time/endurance requiring them to RTB to refuel.
2. PC has operational movement, train, and air and naval transport.

The Two major disadvantages(?) are:
1. PC completely revamps direct attack resolutions combining assaults and "stand-off" (1 and 2 hex) attacks into a single 0 hex range attack. Depending on the terrain, the attack will either be resolved as an assault using "close defense" values, or using "initiative" (ranging) stand-off attacks. Also, massed attacks are resolved by adjusting the defenders initiative down based on number of adjacent attackers . Range 1 or more attacks are always "indirect" artillery attacks.
2. PC has a core unit limit (like the PGIIIs) that forces the player to concentrate on the best "bang for the buck" (prestige); i.e. tanks, pioneers, artillery, fighters, and tactical bombers.
Additional considerations:
- Mounted infantry do not immediately dismount after being attacked
- There is no "combined arms" mutual support between adjacent units of different types; except AA and arty
- Towed artillery can move AND shoot (okay for =< 75mm/3 inch but not bigger stuff)
- Self-propelled artillery can move then shoot at max range
- Artillery can only provide "Final Defensive Fires" (aka defensive fire) to immediately adjacent units (vice their full range)
- Max range for vurtually all "regular" artillery is 3 hexes
- AA arty can move and shoot aircraft

(in reply to micha1100)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> The War Room >> How Relevant is old Panzer General Strategy Guide? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI