Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

components resources density

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> components resources density Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
components resources density - 8/21/2012 5:09:18 PM   
feelotraveller

I made a spreadsheet listing of all the components that you can research, the resources it takes to make them and what I call their 'density' (= number of resources divided by component size). Included are the various racial specials.

It is in both openoffice and xls formats (though I don't know why people bother with the dodgy software of billionaire monopolists ).

I had a similar listing a while ago but must have got overzealous when I springcleaned my harddrives... unfortunately all my old savegames and ship designs also suffered the same fate. So if anyone has information on other components (name, type, size, resources used by number and type, origin) please post that here and I will do an updated version.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14105530/components1.0.ods
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14105530/components1.0.xls

< Message edited by feelotraveller -- 8/21/2012 10:07:45 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: components resources density - 8/21/2012 10:08:18 PM   
feelotraveller

Oh, and if I have made any mistakes (with the spreadsheet, I mean ), let me know and I will fix them.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 2
RE: components resources density - 8/21/2012 10:31:01 PM   
Panpiper

I am not clear what 'density' means in the context of this game. Is it a mass reference in terms of the weight it imposes upon a ship and it's drive systems resulting in decreased speed? Or is it something less obvious?

Post #: 3
RE: components resources density - 8/21/2012 10:55:38 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panpiper

I am not clear what 'density' means in the context of this game. Is it a mass reference in terms of the weight it imposes upon a ship and it's drive systems resulting in decreased speed? Or is it something less obvious?

No. As far as the game is concerned size=mass. It is bigger ships which slow down, not more dense ships.

It is a term I coined; I use it to help me load my constructors in the early game.

It could also probably be of some use for quickly (although roughly) gauging costs, at least potential ones, but I haven't got there yet.

(in reply to Panpiper)
Post #: 4
RE: components resources density - 8/22/2012 10:32:18 AM   
joeyeti

Can you pls explain the logic behind:

quote:

I use it to help me load my constructors in the early game.

I might be getting the idea behind "density" - it being something like how "compressed" the resources are in the resulting component (i.e. 17 resources cramped in UltraDense Armor of Size 1 vs. 3 resources making up a Size 6 Standard Fuel Cell), but I do not understand that constructor loading part...

Post #: 5
RE: components resources density - 8/22/2012 12:56:49 PM   
Arcatus

Spotted a slight mistake:
Pulse wave cannon is unique to a race (but I can't remember witch - I am on the wrong computer...)

This would be perfect for the new wiki; should be fairly straightforward to convtert a exported txt to the wiki formatting.

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 6
RE: components resources density - 8/22/2012 1:07:43 PM   
joeyeti

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arcatus
This would be perfect for the new wiki; should be fairly straightforward to convtert a exported txt to the wiki formatting.

Indeed... I will also be making (or rather adapting) one of my old Word2Wiki macros, that allow quick transformation of formatting.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 7
RE: components resources density - 8/22/2012 3:54:17 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arcatus

Spotted a slight mistake:
Pulse wave cannon is unique to a race (but I can't remember witch - I am on the wrong computer...)

Yes, you are correct. For some reason I had the Wekkarus noted for the Plasma Thunderbolt . No idea how that happened but I will fix it for 1.1. Will leave it a couple of days to make sure nothing else is amiss.

You're welcome to put it on the wiki but could I suggest a link back to this thread in case the data gets updated in the future?

< Message edited by feelotraveller -- 8/22/2012 4:12:12 PM >

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 8
RE: components resources density - 8/22/2012 4:11:08 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: joeyeti

Can you pls explain the logic behind:

quote:

I use it to help me load my constructors in the early game.

I might be getting the idea behind "density" - it being something like how "compressed" the resources are in the resulting component (i.e. 17 resources cramped in UltraDense Armor of Size 1 vs. 3 resources making up a Size 6 Standard Fuel Cell), but I do not understand that constructor loading part...

Density was the reason I created the spreadsheet but I posted it here because I thought other people might be able to make use of the consolidated information for their own strategies.

It's the solution to a series of problems.

Problem - how do I stop my constructors from flying all the way back to a (usually) distant spaceport to get the resources to build another base?
Answer - you make sure they already have the resources on board.

Second problem - how do I get my constructors to build more bases (e.g. more than 2 in early game) without returning to a distant spaceport, given there is base size limit?
Second answer - density.

How many bases can I build, without needing to reload, if I get it right? (It all depends on the size of the bases .) Assuming smallish but functional mining bases early game you can get six with starting technology (maybe seven if you know beforehand exactly what you will build and cut a couple of corners), and nine with the first construction size advance (which is generally my first constuction and energy tech).

But maybe you play the game a different way? Love to hear about your strategies.

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 9
RE: components resources density - 8/22/2012 7:32:54 PM   
joeyeti

Ah, ok :)

Noob hat on - HOW can I load something specific on my constructors? (Automation, yeah, automation, so no real hands-on work done yet...)

Post #: 10
RE: components resources density - 8/22/2012 7:57:49 PM   
joeyeti

double post...

< Message edited by joeyeti -- 8/22/2012 7:58:50 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: components resources density - 8/23/2012 12:04:01 AM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: joeyeti

Ah, ok :)

Noob hat on - HOW can I load something specific on my constructors? (Automation, yeah, automation, so no real hands-on work done yet...)

By designing a base which is made up of those specifics. No use if you are playing automatic...

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 12
RE: components resources density - 8/23/2012 7:39:22 AM   
joeyeti

Hummm... maybe I am dense right in the morning already (or yet?), but can you give me an example please?

Post #: 13
RE: components resources density - 8/24/2012 6:53:41 AM   
feelotraveller

Okay. From the start of my current game (which is going nowhere fast...)

The base I order my constructors to build

And then I use that load to get them to build six of these, or similar.

These aren't all that polished but they illustrate the idea.

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 14
RE: components resources density - 8/24/2012 8:02:45 AM   
joeyeti

NOW I get it!

What you basically do is order your constructors to build that huge starbase and when they load up all necessary resources for that, you cancel the build order and have them build the small mining bases.

As the constructors have the necessary resources loaded already, they do not need to do it again for the small bases and can basically churn them out without supply ships or reloads...

Nice strategy, although one that requires some planning ;)

Gr8!

Perhaps worth claryfing in the first post, as some people might wonder about it like me :)

< Message edited by joeyeti -- 8/24/2012 8:04:31 AM >

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> components resources density Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI