How many tanks are x5?

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Vic

U2

How many tanks are x5?

Post by U2 »

do 5xPzIIIj represent 5 Pz IIIj tanks or more? If x5 represents 5 actual tanks I wonder who did the OOB. Some Pz regs are way too weak with panzers.
aspqrz02

RE: How many tanks are x5?

Post by aspqrz02 »

ORIGINAL: U2
do 5xPzIIIj represent 5 Pz IIIj tanks or more? If x5 represents 5 actual tanks I wonder who did the OOB. Some Pz regs are way too weak with panzers.

At the start of Case Blue, the German Army had been at war in Russia for a year.

TO&Es, by then, were theoretical, at best. Manpower reinforcements were a problem, but mechanised equipment was a bigger one because German industry was never able to produce enough of ... whatever ... to meet demand.

And, see, there's this thing called "the enemy" whose avowed purpose is to destroy as many of your vehicles as possible ... terrible manners, I know ... and they haven't learnt any better manners since 1941, either ... they were still destroying (or trying to) those expensive and hard to replace panzers.

Terrible. [:D][:D][:D]

(If you go into the Editor you can see that the unit TO&Es are for full strength units, or some version of same ... but before game start there is a randomisation routine to reduce the actual TO&E strengths of on map units to more closely represent their actual strengths ... and the historical figures I have seen show that most Tank units are rarely, if ever, worse off than their historical unit returns would indicate!)

So, yes, the numbers are lower than TO&E, but realistic(ish).

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

Return to “The War Room”