Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do you remember Wings and Cinemaware?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Do you remember Wings and Cinemaware? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you remember Wings and Cinemaware? - 8/18/2012 10:57:57 AM   
Brausepaul

Do some of you remeber the old 90's Wings? This might be of interest then:

This may be of interest to some here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-directors-cut

quote:

A full HD remake of Cinemaware's classic WWI Amiga game featuring never-before-seen content!

If we achieve the minimum funding goal, we will recreate the original game in all its glory – but this time, with full HD graphics & sound, enhanced animations, a revised UI and enhancements to the control interface in order to support current input methods such as touchscreen control. Our target platforms are iOS & Android devices (tablets and mobile devices) and Windows PC. Potential future platforms are Macintosh and videogame consoles. The game will be DRM-free and no additional content will be up for sale – you get the whole game in its entire, original glory!

If you are interested seeing this classic game see the light again please consider backing this project.
Post #: 1
RE: Do you remember Wings and Cinemaware? - 8/18/2012 3:42:25 PM   
ilovestrategy

The first thing I thought of was Wing Commander. I loved that series.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 2
RE: Do you remember Wings and Cinemaware? - 8/18/2012 4:57:00 PM   
Hertston

Good developers, when they didn't get too carried away with the 'cinema' part and concentrated on gameplay. Lords of the Rising Sun is one of my favourite ever games. Dunno what the kids used to Shogun TW 2 would think of it, though! TV Sports Football was very good too, for the time.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 3
RE: Do you remember Wings and Cinemaware? - 8/18/2012 5:53:25 PM   
LarryP

I played this on the Amiga 2000 back in the early 90's and it was a great game. Don't know if I would want to play it now though. Cinemaware had excellent games back then.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 8/18/2012 6:05:25 PM >

(in reply to Brausepaul)
Post #: 4
RE: Do you remember Wings and Cinemaware? - 8/19/2012 12:01:33 AM   
Aurelian

My late wfe loved their Three Stooges game.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 5
RE: Do you remember Wings and Cinemaware? - 8/25/2012 5:10:46 PM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I played this on the Amiga 2000 back in the early 90's and it was a great game. Don't know if I would want to play it now though. Cinemaware had excellent games back then.

I played Wings on my Amiga 500, and once I put in one of the first available internal accelerator boards (with 68020 CPU), the game turned out to be unplayable. While it got choppy sometimes (especially when meeting the Red Baron ingame) on a stock 500, the board's say 85% speed boost (from ~8 MHz to ~14 MHz) turned a flight mission into an extremely short piece of entertainment (and we really ROFL): Mission start - up in the air - opponent - head falls to the side - blood - plane going down - crash on the ground - cam rotates around crash site ... all within 3-4 Seconds. hahahaha we laughed so hard, we played the mission again right after, to get another laugh...

Despite the funny moment, it was still a bit frustrating, and even though I had purchased the card to play Wing Commander (which played like a slideshow on the stock Amiga) in the first place, I had hoped Wings would benefit from it too, lol. The game just couldn't deal with the speed boost. The Board had a switch, so i could switch between accelerated mode and stock mode, tho.

I bought an Amiga 2000 later on, put in an accelerator board with 40 MHz, and started using the machine for music production (MIDI), interrupted by some legendary games of "North vs South" (Infogrames) against mates and neighbors. lol.

Anyway, the presentation of Cinemaware games was unmatched at the time. Well, they look pretty ugly to me nowadays, but they made some of the best games back then.

I still have the "Wings" disks in some drawer, along with many other originals (~100) . And the A 2000 resides in a cabinet, carefully packed.

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 8/25/2012 5:24:09 PM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Do you remember Wings and Cinemaware? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI