Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet 1941 Front Overload

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet 1941 Front Overload Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/17/2012 7:22:53 PM   
Sorta

Bryansk Front has just become active but unable to transfer army to it - is it prohibited (had 40 AP)?

When S Urals MD becomes active should it be used? Suspicious of MDs dissapearing. Looked in rules but it appears to stay.

Any other ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/17/2012 7:49:45 PM   
Walloc

It costs more than 40 AP to transfere an army from one front to another. Assuming the army isnt attached to STAVKA or a MD. Around 50-55 AP IIRC is the norm. U must have the full cost in AP availble. Tho roll might lower transfere price u cant know before the roll, hench the rule to u must have the full AP avaible before its allowed.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/17/2012 7:57:37 PM >

(in reply to Sorta)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/17/2012 8:22:08 PM   
Seminole

S Urals MD is pretty far out of the way, so I haven't made much use of it. I suppose that would change if a human player went for Case Blue. I do transfer out the airbases assigned to their air command so they can see action with one of the Fronts.

Most turns when I bring fresh units west I assign them to Moscow MD or Volga MD enroute to their final destination army. It seems better to me that they be assigned to an MD than left attached directly to Stavka.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/17/2012 9:08:58 PM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole
Most turns when I bring fresh units west I assign them to Moscow MD or Volga MD enroute to their final destination army. It seems better to me that they be assigned to an MD than left attached directly to Stavka.

Why is that? With Stavka now being impossible to overload, what do you see as the benifit? Personally, I only use the MDs as a holding area to create new SUs.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/17/2012 10:01:16 PM   
turtlefang

I'll have to admit that I tend to do the same thing with new units. Anything going to the center/north of the map goes to the Moscow MD - anything south to Volga MD.

It helps me keep organized:

a) Anything assigned to these MD will sit for a couple of turns to increase in moral and build up in strength.

b) By splitting them this way, it helps me keep my rail movement somewhat more efficient and I know exactly where to look for my new troops rather than they're anywhere on the map.

c) I can quickly cycle to these to MD as my go to point for building up reserves/new units and get a quick feel for what I have "in the pipeline".

And last, while I'm not completely sure about this, it seems that units that are closer to their HQ AND on a rail head (I always keep them on a rail line), refit faster than units that aren't close to their HQ. This, BTW, is just a "feeling" on my part so it might not be right. (I know the being on a rail head helps but units closer to their own HQ just seem to bulk up faster).

In any case, its just a habit I have to make organizing, finding, and deploying units easier.

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 5
RE: Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/18/2012 12:02:20 AM   
carlkay58

I tend to do the same thing. Build up new armies in the MDs, train them and get them ready, then rail them out and assign the army to a new front.

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 6
RE: Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/18/2012 12:13:31 AM   
Sorta

Do the MDs become active and use same way as Fronts? Until Nov I'm suffering on army overload.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 7
RE: Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/18/2012 12:16:02 AM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sorta

Do the MDs become active and use same way as Fronts? Until Nov I'm suffering on army overload.

Some do and convert to fronts (North Caucasus, Bryansk, Trans-Caucasus), others withdraw (Kharkov), and others stay but remain fixed (Moscow, Urals, Southern Urals, Volga). In a way they do act as Front HQs, just that they can't be moved. IIRC MDs have roughly half the command capacity of a regular Front HQ. As for overload, welcome to the historical reality that was the Russian Army in 41-42!

< Message edited by Schmart -- 8/18/2012 12:20:07 AM >

(in reply to Sorta)
Post #: 8
RE: Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/18/2012 1:37:15 AM   
Sorta

Thanks for all the info - couldn't comprehend the 60 admin point cost for changing a army!

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 9
RE: Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/18/2012 2:58:17 AM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

Thanks for all the info - couldn't comprehend the 60 admin point cost for changing a army!

You can also avoid the 60 point cost of transferring the army HQ by transferring the individual divisions to another HQs already in the Front or an unassigned HQs attached to STAVKA. Each unit is usually 1 or 2 APs, so that would be maybe 10-20 APs vs the 60.

(in reply to Sorta)
Post #: 10
RE: Soviet 1941 Front Overload - 8/18/2012 9:38:32 AM   
randallw

A listing of M.D.s and their fate, along with Front arrivals/changes, is in the manual.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet 1941 Front Overload Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI