Wiki pages - (edit) at Wikispot

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

joeyeti

Wiki pages - (edit) at Wikispot

Post by joeyeti »

Hi folks,

seeing that fellow 4X games have their own (more or less decent) Wiki pages and also keeping in mind the last attempt at Wikia from 2010 (which is abandoned and inactual for a long time now), I do wonder - would a Wiki page be a relevant addition to the Forums, the Galactopedia inside the game and the Manual?

Would people be willing to participate in its creation (even after the initial hype fades away and dirty work remains)?

What could a Wiki hold that the game or the forums do not readily provide in a comprehensive yet readable way?

EDIT:
Link to the new Distant Worlds Wiki - www.distant-worlds.wikispot.org
Joe
Anthropoid

RE: Wiki pages - are they needed besides Galactopedia?

Post by Anthropoid »

Seems like the in game thing is sufficient to me. There are a few minor things like, how to build spies, that continue to elude me but then I've only been playing it a few days really.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

The galactopedia is an utter joke. There is so much relavent game info that is simply nonexistant there. A wiki would be a welcome resource. And hopefully it could share the dame heirarchical format as the galactopedia so the devs might freely lift entries from it to put into future releases.

Examples of things not in the galactopedia that should be:
Does ship size affect combat?
What is the relationship between population and planet size (other than moar is biggar!)
How do you read the research screen?
What is the mining cap on planets?
Does planet quality affect max population?
What is the relationship of planet quality, suze, development and revenue?
Is there a convenient list of racial troop strengths?
If I have more than one wonder on a planet or a wonder on a planet with ruins, what is my development bonus?
How does tourism work on colonies?
Better yet, how exactly does tourism work?
A teekan, a shakturi, and a human are all on a boat at sea, what is the punchline of this joke?
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Then I have another question - who knows these details apart maybe from the devs?
Are they accessible somehow, or would we have to chase the dev team for any such info and be dependant on their free time and willingness?

Joe
Modest

Post by Modest »

Well... Some of this things are accesible here, on this forum - I remember at least that the science screen was nicely explained by Nedrer (or something like that). But most of this, if we want to know we need to ask dev team, or play with editor and metodicaly check how some changes in one stats are influencing other stats. That would be a lot of work, guesing and testing. Of course there may be other options unknow to me.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

Most of those questions i already know the answer to but they should have been in the galactopedia. Its great to have a community like this but when I am away from the internet the lousy galactopedia is all I have. You might ask how a wiki would be any better and I have two answers:
1) A wiki is organized for finding information. This forum is not.
2) My goal for a wiki is to serve as a catalyst for improving the in-game documentation.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

1) Yep, for me a specialized Wiki is always a reference book on a game (if the content is there) and when there is no Wiki or I am searching for something even more granular, I browse forums (but with good Wikies I mostly do not have to).

2) And yep again - I always admired dev teams that made their Wiki early in the development process to document the game features. This way it is all written down as reference material and can be accessed for detailed info if a player needs it...

a) Would it make sense do duplicate the Galactopedia information to the wiki?

I am aware that the Galactopedia is quite text heavy and having it directly in-game does lessen the need to have it on another online source. But then again, maybe you are not playing the game on your commute and would like to check some info inbetween plays...

b) Then there is also the "legal" question - would the devs allow replicating the Galactopedia to an online form to basically make it freely accessible?
Joe
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

A wiki would be great *if* people were dedicated enough to make it work. I'm not sure the community is big enough [:@]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

A wiki would be great *if* people were dedicated enough to make it work. I'm not sure the community is big enough [:@]

Yea, but "just" having things like the tech-tree available online would be a huge step in the right direction.

Is it possible that matrix games would host a wiki? I am sure there are other games that have similar a discussion

joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

I guess it depends on the dedication that Matrix would want to put into supporting the Wiki...

Either they would say "We host it, you create it" - if they trust the community that much, or they would perhaps have to contribute some too to maintain a certain quality, if they would dedicate resources for creating it in the first place... And there is also the precedence of hosting Wikies for other games, if they would do for DW.

As per the Tech Tree part - yep, that would be a great resource...
Joe
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

Starting with the in game entries as the initial wiki would also give a good jumping off point since we could start adding minor things to the entries instead of writing everything from scratch. Surely this forum has volunteer moderators. I am sure someones would be willing to moderate a wiki here. Like I said before, matrix should view it as an oportunity to crowd source their documentation. Technical writing isnt easy or cheap. Also it would give people something constructive to do with their time instead of complaining about price and asking why the game isnt on steam.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Folks, for what it's worth, I have started a Wiki already (while asking about it here), just to see, if I can get it all sorted out.

True, it is much work to be progressed into a useful resource, but at least it's a free endeavor :)

You can find my current efforts below. So far only a few pages were started, mainly as a proof of concept (Ackdarians, Research and Technology, Game Features, Game Interface...) - basically all fully underlined links are working pages. Feel free to comment.

Code: Select all

distant-worlds.wikispot.org
Joe
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

Great work joeyeti,

Just a small question.

Is the wiki for distant worlds or for distant-worlds legends. I want to make sure if I start putting in some information I am commenting on the correct version so a newcomer does not get lost.
“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Nice initiative.

But please - no silly text on the first page. (or on any page) [:-]

I had some fun on the sand-box. Take a look at my suggestion there.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

pipewrench,

Distant Worlds Legends (made it more clear on the front page). I somehow take Legends as "the game" :) - true, some players play ROTS, or even vanilla, but I wanted to make the Wiki the "latest" experience.

Arcatus,

sure, the silly comments are a joke attempt, nothing definite (and they do not fit with the rest anyway, so will delete them).

The research bulbs are nice, will see about their incorporation...
Joe
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

pipewrench,

nice editing :)

I have added some on my own, mostly started the Tech Trees section and tweaked the Research page and Research Screen page.
Joe
unclean

Post by unclean »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan
Examples of things not in the galactopedia that should be:
Does ship size affect combat?
What is the relationship between population and planet size (other than moar is biggar!)
How do you read the research screen?
What is the mining cap on planets?
Does planet quality affect max population?
What is the relationship of planet quality, suze, development and revenue?
Is there a convenient list of racial troop strengths?
If I have more than one wonder on a planet or a wonder on a planet with ruins, what is my development bonus?
How does tourism work on colonies?
Better yet, how exactly does tourism work?
A teekan, a shakturi, and a human are all on a boat at sea, what is the punchline of this joke?
This is a really good list, I have the answers to a few of them bookmarked at least. I think there's answers to a few more floating around somewhere but yeah screw the rest of them, figuring it all out is insane.
Resource Extraction Cap
How research works
Troop Strength

I don't think the galactopedia really gets into the details of the private sector either. You can figure it out decently enough by playing but I remember it being pretty confusing at first.

Also a couple of really good guides
Quick strategy guide
How to fleet posture
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

I happen to be really busy this month at work and also moving, but otherwise I would copy the current galactopedia entries to the wiki. So please everyone keep your enthusiasm on it until I can start helping.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Folks,

I tried to summarize the Research and Technology page on the Wiki - particularly the Research Base overview - into comprehensible text. Can someone please tell me if it is understandable, also with the examples?

The "Adjusted Research Potential" is my term describing the same as the "Total Research Capability" used in an older thread by Nedrear - basically just to avoid too similar abbreviations. It is true that ARP can be done without, but sometimes you might use it to describe your full empire potential with racial and governmental bonuses applied...

(I am waiting for my 10 posts to be able to send in links, so for now here you go a CODE:)

Code: Select all

distant-worlds.wikispot.org/Research_and_Technology
Joe
bryanhbell

Post by bryanhbell »

Nice work, joeyeti! I've added a link to it on the Distant Worlds subreddit I recently started.

I'm curious, though. Why did you choose to create a new Wiki Spot site instead of simply updating and adding to the existing Wikia site?
Bryan H. Bell

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”