Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I'm looking for info on Harpoon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> I'm looking for info on Harpoon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I'm looking for info on Harpoon - 8/15/2012 11:43:43 AM   
Adlerland80

I think that I could find all the answers in the FAQ, but I'm lazy (not too much)

I just discovered Tom Clancy (I think I'm the last one on Earth ) in my father's library. Red Storm Rising made me interested in modern warfare (like Lord of the Rings made me interested in RPGs). I bought TacOps 4, and it is good.

Next I tried Naval War Arctic Circle. It was interesting, but TacOps made me interested in real wargames. Red Storm Rising was based on Harpoon and so I am here (I'm also looking at Flashpoint Germany and Modern Campaigns).

I'm not used to play wargames and my strategy games are limited to Civilization IV and Galactic Civilizations II. I see there are different versions of Harpoon. I checked the videos but I have some questions.

I want to try a real wargame. TacOps 4 is good and I like its realism. Which version of Harpoon has the same realism? I didn't understood it from the videos.

I see that Harpoon Ultimate Edition has all the Harpoons. There are differences between two Harpoons even if they are from the same "line" (I understand there are two lines for this game). The Advanced Naval Warfare is different from the Ultimate Edition? I understand they are in the same "line" so what is the difference?

There are a lot of databases for the Harpoons. This is a bit confusing: for what reason they were created? Some databases are more simple than others? If I buy I will start with the base one but I want to have the best experience. I don't fear a complex game anymore

I see that my message was long. I could have checked the FAQs I will do that but if the "veterans" can help I will thank them.

One last question. Can I ask about game of other companies or it is forbidden by the forum policy?

Thanks for the help

Adlerland80

EDIT: I can find good strategies for modern naval warfare in the manuals? TacOps 4 had the official US Army manuals. Or where I can find them. My English is not good but I read it without problems

< Message edited by Adlerland80 -- 8/15/2012 11:49:11 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: I'm looking for info on Harpoon - 8/15/2012 3:32:37 PM   
TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adlerland80
I want to try a real wargame. TacOps 4 is good and I like its realism. Which version of Harpoon has the same realism? I didn't understood it from the videos.

Realism is a tough question that is highly dependent upon the game itself, database, and scenario. There are wildly unrealistic HC (Harpoon Classic/Commander's Edition/...) scenarios and wildly unrealistic H3 (ANW/H2/...) scenarios. Just the same there are very realistic scenarios for both games. H3 is definitely more detailed in most models and that is probably the question you meant to ask.

quote:

I see that Harpoon Ultimate Edition has all the Harpoons. There are differences between two Harpoons even if they are from the same "line" (I understand there are two lines for this game). The Advanced Naval Warfare is different from the Ultimate Edition? I understand they are in the same "line" so what is the difference?

Play them both and see for yourself. I find it difficult to put into words. One I usually enjoy playing, the other only very rarely but both are good at what they do.

quote:

There are a lot of databases for the Harpoons. This is a bit confusing: for what reason they were created? Some databases are more simple than others? If I buy I will start with the base one but I want to have the best experience. I don't fear a complex game anymore

Database authors are very unique people and part of that is a strong belief that their own approach is most correct. One database author will insist it takes 120 minutes to re-load AAMs on an F-15 while the next insists it is 60 minutes and suddenly two different databases are born. Some are more simple than others (usually to improve gameplay and make it less of a technical jungle to even launch a weapon). Some go for breadth of platforms and some focus deeply on a few platforms, and on and on and on.

On the HC side I would definitely suggest grabbing the current HCDB from HarpGamer.com and play scenarios from the EC2003 and newer battlesets. Those are the only ones that will take advantage of the HCDB, the earlier battlesets use their own built-in databases. Others have surely approached you already about the H3 side and I don't want to partake in that fight right now so I'll keep quiet.

quote:

One last question. Can I ask about game of other companies or it is forbidden by the forum policy?

It is not forbidden but it sure isn't good form or appreciated.

quote:

EDIT: I can find good strategies for modern naval warfare in the manuals? TacOps 4 had the official US Army manuals.

You will find an introduction to naval warfare in the manuals but not deep tactics. I'll point you to the HC Tactics series http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showtopic=3608 .

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Adlerland80)
Post #: 2
RE: I'm looking for info on Harpoon - 8/15/2012 7:06:11 PM   
Vincenzo Beretta

Other users have had the same questions so videos were prepared on the Harpoon for Dummies channel to help them navigate through their concerns:

Harpoon Classic and Harpoon3 Comparison

Trying to work out the best version for a novice

If you have further questions, please feel free to post them on Harpoon for Dummies and additional videos can be made upon request.

quote:

The Advanced Naval Warfare is different from the Ultimate Edition? I understand they are in the same "line" so what is the difference?

The biggest difference is the inability to use the multiplayer function in HUE as it is currently broken.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2758934

quote:

There's no reason to not test-drive them all to find out which ones work (or work better.) To save you time, I would recommend starting with the PlayersDB.

Installing the PlayersDB

quote:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2629560

FAQ
Harpoon for Dummies
Facebook

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 3
RE: I'm looking for info on Harpoon - 8/16/2012 9:55:44 AM   
Adlerland80

Thank you for your help TonyE nd Vincenzo I'm looking at the videos again and the Player's Database battles are exciting! I think the best thing is "jump" I but the game and ask you if I have problems

Thanks again!

Adlerland80

< Message edited by Adlerland80 -- 8/16/2012 9:57:53 AM >

(in reply to Vincenzo Beretta)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> I'm looking for info on Harpoon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI