Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

floatplanes in FTs and search

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> floatplanes in FTs and search Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
floatplanes in FTs and search - 8/15/2012 10:44:59 AM   
fulcrum28

Most of FTs, inparticular Japanese ones, have CL and CA with one or two floatplanes.

do you have to click and set one by one ship to configure a reasonable arc search around your FTs? Im afraid yes, but even so, let me know your tactics using floatplanes in TFs.

Do you combine them with carrier-based bombers for naval search missions?
I think this is what was done in real operations, since IJN lacked of specialized embarked search mission aircrafts.
Post #: 1
RE: floatplanes in FTs and search - 8/15/2012 11:02:38 AM   
Sardaukar

Don't set search arc for ship FPs. They work just fine when set for 50% search and 6k altitude (default settings).

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 2
RE: floatplanes in FTs and search - 8/15/2012 1:26:44 PM   
dr.hal

Well I'm not sure I can entirely agree Sardaukar. If the Float plane has a longer range than four, then arcs can be set, and can be useful. I use them to scout out the areas ahead of a TF to make sure I spot anything out there, or along a threat sector. The real weakness of float planes is that they are very susceptible to weather. Unlike carrier launched search planes that you can count on, float planes from a CA or BB are problematic as they may not fly if the weather is poor!

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 3
RE: floatplanes in FTs and search - 8/15/2012 3:12:04 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28

Most of FTs, inparticular Japanese ones, have CL and CA with one or two floatplanes.

do you have to click and set one by one ship to configure a reasonable arc search around your FTs? Im afraid yes, but even so, let me know your tactics using floatplanes in TFs.

Do you combine them with carrier-based bombers for naval search missions?
I think this is what was done in real operations, since IJN lacked of specialized embarked search mission aircrafts.

Don't set search arc if there's just 1 to 3 float planes. Search work fine without arcs.

When there's a possibility to meet enemy, I set my Japanese float planes (Jakes) 100 % search and range 7 or 8. When my fleet is heading home, I let them rest or set them to 50 % ASW. You can use 100 % search without problems at least 10 turns.

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 4
RE: floatplanes in FTs and search - 8/15/2012 6:26:49 PM   
Sardaukar

You guys should know that arcs are not relative to TF course...so..setting arc will potentially hurt you when TF changes course.

You need 360 degree cover, thus, don't set arc tor ship planes.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 5
RE: floatplanes in FTs and search - 8/15/2012 9:32:04 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

You guys should know that arcs are not relative to TF course...so..setting arc will potentially hurt you when TF changes course.

I just assumed the arc had nothing to do with TF course. I figured it was always "0 degrees = North, 90 degrees = East, 180 degrees South and 270 degrees = West". Is that correct?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 6
RE: floatplanes in FTs and search - 8/16/2012 5:43:22 PM   
bjmorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

I just assumed the arc had nothing to do with TF course. I figured it was always "0 degrees = North, 90 degrees = East, 180 degrees South and 270 degrees = West". Is that correct?

Correct.

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 7
RE: floatplanes in FTs and search - 8/16/2012 9:06:23 PM   
Sardaukar

Indeed..but when your TF changes course, your planes still search towards arc you have set. This can have potentially bad consequences, leaving less search cover to other directions.

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 8
RE: floatplanes in FTs and search - 8/18/2012 10:20:47 AM   
inqistor

I tend to set those with shorter range on ASW.

Also, since they can be targetted by enemy flak, and CAP, I generally set them above enemy AAMG range (9000-10000), and even higher, when they are nearby enemy CAPped base

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> floatplanes in FTs and search Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI