Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you save the modded stuff?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Mods and Scenarios >> How do you save the modded stuff? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/13/2012 6:39:39 PM   
alex0809

Hello, I am wondering how you are able to save the things you modded so they won't get deleted when the next update is released?
For example I have tried to create replacement cards for Axis minors as well, it's really easy to create (thanks for the good in-editor documentation Vic), but I am wondering if I really have to save it all as a completely different scenario? Won't this mean that a) I have to create the axis minor replacement cards for all scenarios separately and b) after a Case Blue update - since no one will want to play with an outdated map - the modded cards would have to be newly created again?
Post #: 1
RE: How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/13/2012 6:52:32 PM   
redmarkus4

Yes, this is a challenge.

Graphics mods (map, icons, photos, etc.) are modded in the main game folders, so they will persist after an update to the game. You just need to uninstall via JSGME, patch the game, then re-install your mod.

Changes to scenarios will need to be supported through the life of the game, possibly like this:

1. Save your modded scenario with a unique name. I call mine things like dc2scenario1_PZKRG_1.0. This ensures that a patch will not make any changes to your mod version.

2. Depending on what the patch introduces (you will need to really study the patch list, forum posts, etc.) you might need to:

2a. Open the new patched Vanilla scenario and import your map, SFTs etc., or;
2b. Make the same changes inside your modded scenario, e.g. by importing new events, importing the patched map or units and so forth.

It will require commitment and you might need to repeat a lot of tasks. Once the game stabilizes, this issue will largely go away, so I would suggest that you focus on smaller mods and small scenarios for a while.

Cyberpower tower PC
Intel Core i7-3930k CPU, 3.20GHz processor
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards, each with 4095 MB
Realtek sound card
Dell 3007WFP (running at 2560x1600) 32 bit monitor
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit O

(in reply to alex0809)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/13/2012 7:15:45 PM   
alex0809

It would be awesome if there was a way to select files to include in a scenario. For example, if you could create a file with only new events/cards/SFT's/peoples/whatever, and then just specify the location of that file inside the scenario and all data would be automatically loaded into the scenario. But I guess that is way too much to ask...

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/13/2012 7:27:32 PM   
redmarkus4

Actually, I think there is using ALT folders, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to alex0809)
Post #: 4
RE: How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/15/2012 6:43:17 AM   
bwheatley

Ya the folders are described in the editor manual.

-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 5
RE: How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/16/2012 2:48:46 PM   
alex0809

Oh, there's an editor manual? Never noticed it

The master files system is awesome! Since as far as I can see no original scenario uses them, I can now freely add the new cards for every scenario

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 6
RE: How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/16/2012 4:47:45 PM   
redmarkus4

quote:

ORIGINAL: alex0809

Oh, there's an editor manual? Never noticed it

The master files system is awesome! Since as far as I can see no original scenario uses them, I can now freely add the new cards for every scenario

Yes, and you can add new units types, new combat results, new landscape or location types and move costs/combat effects, new events, a new map and new unit graphics. Plus a new UI if you wish!

So, what are you going to build for our war gaming pleasure? Cold War goes Hot, maybe?

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to alex0809)
Post #: 7
RE: How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/16/2012 5:24:07 PM   
alex0809

I wish I'd have the abilities, time and will for a project like that
But nah, mostly just trying out some scripting stuff right now. Also, as I wrote, I want to give the axis minors some love, each nation will get cards like the Germans have already, in a separate HQ cards category "Axis minors". Less replacements than the Germans get per card, but very cheap. Additionally, I'm looking to include cards that raise morale but for a hefty price.
I also thought about extremely expensive "training" cards to improve the infantry of a specific minor nation, so in the end you could have one nation on which you concentrate all your training/replacement/morale efforts. But thinking about it that might be a little too powerful.

< Message edited by alex0809 -- 8/16/2012 5:27:46 PM >

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 8
RE: How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/16/2012 7:44:11 PM   
redmarkus4

quote:

ORIGINAL: alex0809

I wish I'd have the abilities, time and will for a project like that
But nah, mostly just trying out some scripting stuff right now. Also, as I wrote, I want to give the axis minors some love, each nation will get cards like the Germans have already, in a separate HQ cards category "Axis minors". Less replacements than the Germans get per card, but very cheap. Additionally, I'm looking to include cards that raise morale but for a hefty price.
I also thought about extremely expensive "training" cards to improve the infantry of a specific minor nation, so in the end you could have one nation on which you concentrate all your training/replacement/morale efforts. But thinking about it that might be a little too powerful.

Are you going for 'historical accuracy' or 'more player options'?

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to alex0809)
Post #: 9
RE: How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/16/2012 8:05:01 PM   
alex0809

"More player options" for sure. I don't know very much about WW2 history anyway to be honest. Though, since there are already cards for German reinforcements, I don't see why cards for the other nations reinforcements are too far-fetched.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 10
RE: How do you save the modded stuff? - 8/17/2012 10:46:46 AM   
redmarkus4

I don't disagree, but it's good to bear in mind the likes and wants of the audience. I am sure there are people who will really enjoy having more options, but there are others who will demand to see your historical justifications unless you name the Mod something like "Completely a-historical reinforcement mod designed to enhance player enjoyment" etc. :)

Cyberpower tower PC
32 GB RAM
2TB HD
Realtek sound card

(in reply to alex0809)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Mods and Scenarios >> How do you save the modded stuff? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI